This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny share

(8 Posts)
Droflove Tue 23-Apr-13 20:38:18

Can someone tell me what impact adding a child to a nannys responsibility has financially? If I was to get a nanny and then have a friends child come to mine to share cost, I presume it wouldn't be double to look after 2 right?

nannynick Tue 23-Apr-13 20:52:33

Not double but I am not sure how you go about calculating the costs. The nanny may well want a bit more as they need to juggle the different needs of each family.
You would need to decide with the other family whose home is used, or if you would alternate homes in some way. Who supplies what equipment, who supplies food, that soft of thing. You and the other family would need a formal agreement about such matters and about things like how holidays would be managed, such as what if one family wanted to go on holiday but the other did not and thus still needed the nanny. What happens to end the agreement, notice required, how payment is settled - some payment may be due long after the agreement ends, such as end of the financial year. Would it be one PAYE scheme or two (I think MrAnchovy has written about the most cost effective way to do a nannyshare payroll wise).

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 23-Apr-13 22:03:09

A nanny share sometimes offers slightly more than working for a single family. Sometimes it's just the going rate.

In my case (3rd nanny share) an extra family added has been an extra 20%... So for example, £10/h net for one family, £12/h net for two families, split between the 2 families.

Trying2bMindful Tue 30-Apr-13 00:06:39

Nanny costs are coming down I would say so most nannies in work round here are just getting the going rate - 10 ph net whether for one one family or 2. We are in Nappy Valley....,

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 30-Apr-13 07:58:47

Nanny shares are a lot of hassle for the nanny and tbh it the parents who benefit more then the nanny

A few shares I have interviewed for offer roughly extra 20% so instead of £13 gross - more like £15 gross

Saying that I went for an interview the other week and both sets didn't want to pay more then £10nett / yes I did mention gross - so about £13 and felt no need to pay more

I declined the job - not worth the hassle of changing houses - picking up other child - holidays - diff views on disapline and routine etc

I have to disagree, I'm also in NappyValley and I haven't seen a drop in share wages to £10/h. I wouldn't do one for that, when the rate for just one family is the same. Where's the incentive to take on all that extra work?

Trying2bMindful Thu 02-May-13 00:28:27

Blonde & super - the incentive is to have a job (but see comments below)!! There are loads of people looking for nanny work and def more than the number of jobs but Who can afford a nanny these days? No payrises & rising home costs means a nanny is a step too far unless it is similar in price to nursery.
Nanny wages are ludicrously high. £45k+ a year?!!
However I know the reason why & wish we earnt more so we could pay more to get one of the better nannies who can probably name their price.... The majority of so called nannies round here have very little training nor a real love of the job. It is very sad. Loads of barely qualified disinterested people jumping on the baby boom train hoping to make money & fooling parents into thinking they love kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now