Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Triple Buggy - advice please

(39 Posts)
SouthernPolish Tue 23-Apr-13 19:30:11

Need advice about the best triple buggy to get.

I am a Childminder - it's for 3 babies (10m - 22m).

My front door is very narrow and can only accommodate a tandem style, not side by side (unless 72cm wide or less!).

Money is tight - max spend £250, happy to buy off eBay.

Have been eyeing up Joovy Big Caboose, but need info from those who have used one!

Advice please - Ta!

calmlychaotic Tue 23-Apr-13 19:57:17

Have heard the joovy is very heavy to push but never tried one. I have the abc mountain buggy and I love it. Very narrow for a triple fits through all doors I have tried so far, and on the bus . . .just! Expensive though, even second hand. Could you try a cheap side by side double and a buggy board to keep cost down.

SouthernPolish Tue 23-Apr-13 20:13:03

The trouble with side by side is I have to take babies out to get in the house, front door is straight onto pavement in a town, very annoying when babies fall asleep while we are out. I already have a double Mountain Buggy, but it's still too wide at 73cm.

SouthernPolish Tue 23-Apr-13 20:13:31

Also - oldest still too wobbly for a buggy board.

calmlychaotic Tue 23-Apr-13 20:24:29

Hmm tricky then. Sounds like Joovy or similar your only option. Have you tried preloved as well as ebay. Some good deals on there.

walkingonthemoon Wed 24-Apr-13 07:16:23

I have a joovy big caboose.... dont use it though as its so hard to steer.

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 17:02:22

That's what I was fearing :-( I can't find a triple that fits through the door and isn't too hard to push.
I have bought a buggypod to go on my Jane Powertwin, but have read worrying reviews about accidents - so too scared to use it.

Any other ideas?

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 17:03:56

So wish I could try out a Joovy Big Caboose, without committing cash.

Arriettyborrower Wed 24-Apr-13 17:11:01

Strolli rider and phil and ted with doubles seat - put the eldest on the strolli - sorted.

mindingalongtime Wed 24-Apr-13 17:12:17

I have invested in a super duper ABC everest , it can be a single, double or triple and take a buggy board too! Made by Phil and Ted, custom made to my order, it is fabulous and folds flat, wheels pop off easily etc.

I bargained hard, I know it is expensive, but it is the only buggy I need, so worth the investment. And it is tax deductible expense.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page adventurebuggycompany.com/triplebuggy.htm

Brownowlahi Wed 24-Apr-13 21:08:13

Minding a long time, I know it's really cheeky, but can I ask, how much have you paid for the buggy? It looks fab and I agree it's an investment for a childminder. Did you order it from New Zealand or is there a stockist in the uk?

goldie81 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:14:26

I did the same as mindingalongtime- I ordered buggy directly from phil and he is very good at sorting exactly what you need.
I ordered the single that can be a double or a triple too. Fab- I love it!! I've been using mine now for a few months and it's fab. It fits through my front door no prob and through other doors where I've seen people struggle to get their double through.
I had to take a while to consider it as it was expensive but the only buggy I'll ever need!

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 21:15:46

Arriety - youngest far too young for a Strolli Rider.

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 21:23:51

Mindingalongtime - yes that's the only one I have seen that looks like it might work for me. It's just the money :-( Far too much new, budget will not stretch.... Is it worth looking for a second hand single and cobbling together?

I am jealous... defo buggy envy!

Can you tell me:
What is width at widest point?
What age child can go in the main part of the single buggy? How does this work with extra one clamped in front?
How easy are seats to remove (no of children varies each day).
How is it with uneven terrain / cobbles?

Sorry - lots of questions....
Just wondering if its worth saving up for and selling stuff to fund...

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 21:42:24

Would be very very grateful if either of you could divulge cost.

I have a double Mountain Buggy Urban, a Jane Powertwin, both in really good condition, which I could sell after getting I new one. Might get circa £300 for both. Thinking in those terms, it might not be too bad to save up for.

??????

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 21:49:25

Eeek! Just looked up pricing on GoBubbaGo and, without shipping added, it was £825!
Am I right?

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 21:52:13

Arriety - ooops! meant oldest - very wobbly 22m old. I think you need a slightly older / sensible one for a Strolli to work. I had one and my son just arsed about and kept falling off so got rid of it.

goldie81 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:01:09

Well think it was approx £600 plus shipping & import charges!! Expensive but I couldn't live without mine. I did buy lots of babies triple but even that was 2wide 2fit in my front door. And wouldn't fold small enough.
If you look on abc website it's got all dimensions.
they come up on eBay but I've never seen the single triple come up!

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 22:08:06

I'm very tempted - especially as I could raise almost half the dosh by flogging my two other buggies. How much was shipping etc?
Thank you for advice :-)
I'm concerned I could keep on buying cheaper buggies and wasting money and maybe best to buy tried and tested quality from the outset. The Joovy is still £200 and it sounds like a bad idea tbh.

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 22:08:51

One last question...
How long did shipping take (Mindee no 3 hasn't started yet).

goldie81 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:10:38

By the way southern polish i have 1 2 or 3 children depending on days & times - seats easy enough to remove and I leave adaptor bars on.
I find great to push.
If reclining seat on top it's very tall but you manage

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 22:19:44

Do you have two different types of seat then? what ages do they work for? Can you switch them round and.... how high is the top one - I'm 5ft6 btw.
Questions, questions!!!!!!
:-D

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 22:22:40

I have 1, 2 or 3 at different points in any one day,
eg: am school run with 1, early afternoon walk with 3, pm school run with either 2 or 3.... It would be amazing to have one buggy that can cope with endless combos!

goldie81 Wed 24-Apr-13 22:24:13

All in all almost a month. They make them & then shipping over & then waiting to be contacted to pay import taxes.
You can pay extra shipping to get sent quicker.
I justified my spend by selling other buggies & then thinking a month of new baby for free to pay for buggy. But if I didn't have buggy then couldn't have had new baby.

SouthernPolish Wed 24-Apr-13 22:31:53

Do the toddler seats with no canopy fit under a raincover? How does that work? I can see that the more expensive seats have canopies & covers, but not the others.

Yes - your logic with investing makes sense. I have circa £300 worth of buggies to sell. Newbie will be bringing in about £300 a month. So not far off paying for buggy within a month I suppose. I imagine future resale fairly good too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now