This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Homework - how do childminders help to make sure it gets done?

(17 Posts)
INeedtoDrinkLess Thu 11-Apr-13 13:09:59

That's it really.

I am returning to work in September and DS will be going into Y1. I know that he will continue to have a different reading book each night, and some spellings to learn each week, minimum.

Currently I do the reading book and the high frequency words he has to learn (Reception) in the morning before school. After school his concentration is poor and it is a battle, so the morning slot suits us best.
But when I return to work he will be going to a CM at 7.30am so no time for homework then, and will be picked up 6/6.30pm so too late for homework.

I know we will have weekends, but the expectation is that the reading is done each night (book changed daily) and he is not motivated bright enough? to learn things in one weekend - needs regular reinforcement for high frequency words he is learning in Reception.

Soooo.... do CMs do HW with kids? And how??!!

NickNacks Thu 11-Apr-13 13:43:52

Well I don't because I have 7 children in total after school. I have to cook a two course meal in that time plus a snack. Nappies, activities, tidying up and seeing to other children going home means I just don't have time. I have to get my own children's homework done after I finish work too so I appreciate its difficult but you'll work it out.

Well it probably all depends on the childminder and how many other children she is looking after. The last childminder I used ( when DD was only 6 or 7, ten years ago now) had a toddler of her own and usually 1 or 2 other primary kids so it would have been impossible for her to do any 1-1 work, but if DD wanted to she could sit at the kitchen table and do any written work which had been set. In the mornings I can't see how she will have time as no doubt her routine will be full of drop offs, school run, maybe even doing breakfast for some kids,

So unless your child is her only mindee or the other mindee is a baby then I don't think she will be able to help.

But bear in mind that by September your DS will be that bit older and more into the swing of things. In Reception my DD would nod off in the car on the way home at 3.30 but somehow over the summer they do grow up a bit and are not quite as finished when they get home. We used to do the reading book at bedtime- she would read to me and then I would read a story to her. Any written work was done at weekends and we did 2 -3 spellings a day, but in the car, chatting in the bath ( using plastic letters which stick on tiles or bath crayons?)

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 11-Apr-13 14:01:24

I don't think you'll find a childminder able to sit down with him one on one and do reading/spelling.

You'll just have to do the best you can. Spellings on the way to the childminder in the morning, reading before bed, main stuff done on the weekend. He will be able to do more in the evening by September because he'll be that bit older.

I would also try not to worry too much. He's still really little, he doesn't need to read a book every night, if sometimes you can't fit it in it's OK.

INeedtoDrinkLess Thu 11-Apr-13 14:35:07

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We have foam letters and did use these in the bath for a while and also did his reading book at bedtime but he ended up 'wired' and so wouldn't sleep as his brain had been engaged in 'hard work' at bedtime rather than wind down.

But I agree, he should be more grown up by Sept, though he is a summer baby so that means not as grown up as some.

Agree, CM would find it nigh on impossible to do the HW.

missmapp Thu 11-Apr-13 14:50:38

I do the same hrs as you.My dc's are in yr3 and yr r. We do reading /spellings before the bedtime story and the rest at the runner-up works fine. My cm does h.work once a week, which is a great break but doesn't help every night. Don't worry, you will soon get into a routine.

missmapp Thu 11-Apr-13 14:51:32

At weekend not runner up!

Brownowlahi Thu 11-Apr-13 15:30:06

Hi, as the others have said, I struggle to get any homework done after school with either my own or minded children. By the time we are in from school, had a snack, cooked the tea, eaten the tea, it is time for everyone to go home. It's hard as then i am doing homework with my own children when it is meant to be bed/bath time,but as a working parent, that's just how it has to be at the moment. You'll find it will just work itself out. At our school they don't need you to read a whole book and are happy with just a couple of pages if we're struggling for time.

fivesacrowd Thu 11-Apr-13 18:00:35

I've had to toughen up with parents about this recently as I have one afterschool mindee who's in p6 (she's 10) and needs far too much supervision at homework time which tbh I just don't have time for. Especially as my 2dc who are younger are quite happy to get on with their homework unsupervised and get me to check it over later. Little p1 mindee (5) does her reading it me but its not everyday and it gives her a chance to snuggle with me and escape the madness! Are you sure it's a different book every day? I've worked through several reading schemes and they've all been a new book each week.
Each day after school here is different and I'd really rather the dc got to chill out, play and make stuff after school so if the homework gets done thats a bonus but not really a priority.

HSMMaCM Thu 11-Apr-13 18:03:49

I give children space and quiet to do homework, but I don't provide 1:1 care, so it would be hard to help everyone. My own DD has to wait until I finish work to get any help she needs.

calmlychaotic Thu 11-Apr-13 18:48:42

I do homework as routine as soon as they get in from school.if its just a book to read we do story time anyway so easy enough to just use their book. I get my school kids to read to the little ones sometimes, Doesn't always work though and I wouldn't want a parent to expect me to do it as others have said can be very difficult to fit in. It works with my age group might not work for your cm. No harm in asking her though.

INeedtoDrinkLess Thu 11-Apr-13 21:49:52

Yes it is definitely a new book each day. A bit ridiculous, I know.

I will lower my expectations, I agree that CMs have enough to do. So long as DS happy there, HW can take a back seat.

Just another thing that I think the government doesn't consider when encouraging parents back to work - now if there were class sizes of 20 in each primary school the kids would have enough 1:1 during the day to make good progress and we wouldn't have to worry about HW, but I shouldn't start a debate about that here!!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Apr-13 23:39:10

When my dc's have started school yes they did get a new book most days but to begin with the books are 8 pages long if biff and chip and kipper (which is what kids do in blondesland) with maybe a few words in each page and repetitive

I would normally do it (I'm a nanny) and then Mb would do it as well usually in the morning

Taking maybe 5/10mins

As they get older it is hard squeezing homework in sometimes ESP if have older children and 2/3lots of reading /spelling/ maths etc and I'm there for just those children

So a cm may not have the time to do it one to one if have 2/3 over 5's

MUM2BLESS Fri 12-Apr-13 16:11:02

Some will some will not do home work with the kids. Its depends on the routine etc of the cm

This got my attention as I have had challeges with home work in the past. I had a situation where a mum wanted her sons to do home work but they were not too keen. I was in the middle trying to carrry out mums wishes and getting the backlash of it all.

Now I am wiser. I will not force any child to do homework. It is the parents responsibility to ensure home work is done and handed in on time.

Its not nice seeing a child rushing trying to do homework when its time for us to leave out on the school run.

I will however listen to children read if they want to read. I sometimes sign the reading record of the child co operating with me. I also do spelling test with the kids. I do this because my son is in the same class/year of some of the kids.

nokidshere Fri 12-Apr-13 18:38:08

I tell parents that I will encourage children to do homework at my house but I can't make them do it. As a result generally he girls do theirs and he boys say no way lol

I have enough trouble nagging my own two to do theirs without nagging everyone else's too!

INeedtoDrinkLess Fri 12-Apr-13 22:00:01

I am full of admiration for CMs, can't imagine what it is like juggling so many children of differing ages and still managing to cook them something edible and not kill any of them.

Will try and persuade my DS to be the child that 'wants' to do his HW and read to the CM like that is going to happen!

lukymum Mon 15-Apr-13 22:03:14

I would say chat to different childminders. You may find one like myself who looks after only a few children and loves reading with the kids. We don't do long periods of time, but overall every other day we do get to it. Even when we have to go to football club. I make sure the two I look after read with me. It's just something personally important to me. You may find someone else who feels very strongly about it, and who doesn't have too many to look after.
It is tough with cooking, etc, etc. Maybe have reward stickers or something to encourage him to do some of his work himself, or for him to initiate his homework. If the childminder is happy to help.

I agree, it is ridiculous, how are parents expected to work and help their kids, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now