This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parent feedback - Help!

(16 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 10-Apr-13 21:42:21

Would love this if a cm asked me to text/email - I would actually quite like monthly and my DS is only in Childcare while I work pt.

Whatalotofpiffle Wed 10-Apr-13 20:36:47

Yes good idea, maybe I could text more, quick to do.

Just had one of my feedback forms back today, filled in so lovingly with loads if detail and I was so appreciative

lechatnoir Wed 10-Apr-13 11:20:04

Don't forget you can use text & email - I get a much better response to quick questions this way & print them off to file under their child's 'working in partnership' file.

Whatalotofpiffle Wed 10-Apr-13 07:30:17

You are giving me some great feedback!

I think I will issue feedback termly, a little form with maybe 3 questions on monthly for the super keen ones and the rest can just bin it... And carry in with verbal and possibly receiving text pics.

So hard as since September ofsted are so hot on partnerships but I'm sure alienating parents wasn't their aim!

MrsBonkers Wed 10-Apr-13 01:05:53

How about letting parents text you photos when they are out and about?
You can then print them.

As a parent, I would happily text a pic' to a childminder, but probably wouldn't be arsed to print one out and put it in DD's bag.

BackforGood Tue 09-Apr-13 19:15:34

NO!
That's just another job to be done in the evenings - I would NOT have been hunting around for photos etc on a regular basis for you. It's bad enough for an annual project once they re at school.

Just my opinion of course grin but it would put me right off you as a CM if I had a choice

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 09-Apr-13 15:44:55

Ah thank you so much, and great idea! Specific questions / requests may work better. It won't then be seen as more paperwork either smile

missmapp Tue 09-Apr-13 08:04:14

As a parent, I try my best to complete these forms, but often forget!! I am much better when the request comes in a different form.
E.g.Can your child bring in a photo of an outing you recently enjoyed
Can your child bring in their favourite game/activity/piece of art work etc

For some reason, I tend to remember these and, as the dccs bring them in, they are more likely to talk about the event/engage in the activity.

Sounds like your a great cm btw.

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 09-Apr-13 07:57:44

Appreciate honest feedback, am fairly new and very new to pt children as just had 1 mindee for first year almost and hence 1 lovely and VERY keen family who wanted to write a daily essay for me.

It was fab but as you say pt is different and I have a lot of different families to work with now

Whatalotofpiffle Tue 09-Apr-13 07:51:39

Good idea re termly feedback. I was heading in that direction so think I will try that out.

I hear you completely re pointless paperwork! I suspect the parents feel this way too.

lechatnoir Mon 08-Apr-13 23:46:50

As a cm & parent who has used a cm this sounds a bit OTT to me & I can understand why parents aren't replying especially if their DC are only with you PT as frankly most people don't have major (or even minor) events to report about every month and it can get quite tedious as a parent having to come up with things!!

I'd stick with verbal communication which you then note for planning purposes & try and follow the children's interests more. I'd also make written feedback requests less frequent as you're more likely to get a better response IMO . I have a feedback form that goes home termly with LJ's & have a section for 'At home I'm enjoying...' and you could always expand upon this & ask for them to share any events or milestones.

BackforGood Mon 08-Apr-13 23:21:52

As a parent, I've never been asked to do this, and I really wouldn't have wanted to - it definitely would come under the category of "pointless paperwork" for me, and I get enough of that in my own job without it creeping into my home / family life as well.

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 23:11:43

Marvellous, thank you both!! smile

kittythames Mon 08-Apr-13 18:50:30

I find it hard to get this sort of paperwork back too!

I just do what you're doing, use the info I get during drop off / collection chats. Then when I'm writing up the LJ for example. Photo of x playing with the Happyland church and wedding party. We talked about x's aunt and uncle wedding where she was a bridesmaid, who was there, party, food, flowers etc. People now have been named after aunt and uncle!

What you are doing sounds good to me too.

moogy1a Mon 08-Apr-13 16:51:40

Wouldn't worry about it. You're making a note of what they're telling you. That's enough.
You're doing things fine smile

Whatalotofpiffle Mon 08-Apr-13 16:15:00

I send out a couple of questionnaires in the year about my setting to gauge general feedback and these have been well received, but am struggling to get parents involved with month to month planning.

I send out a sheet about 3 weeks into the month to assist in planning for the next month but have not received anything back. Month 1 though so maybe when they see it regularly it will be completed?

It says things like :
Are there any family events conning up which I can incorporate in my setting
What has your child been interested in at home this month?

That sort of general life of the child and family stuff...

All children are only here 2 days max so maybe full timers would be more accommodating?

Just not sure if I am being too demanding but I really want to make the time each child spends here count.

I take note of verbal info so do get a lot from this, and have it on a voice of the parents sheet for Ofsted planning etc

Just frustrated I am not doing things quite right

Any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now