Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

childminder lunch breaks

(26 Posts)
calmlychaotic Sun 07-Apr-13 09:58:36

So childminders, guessing you all fell over laughing at the title of this thread! I have had raised eyebrows or shouldn't you be doing that in your own time comments several times when I have been 'caught' doing something not work related. Physio appointment, getting our evening meal ready, putting washing on etc. I work with an assistant and the way I see it we both get a 20 min ish lunch break, most children are sleeping at lunch time, if we have any awake they can do some drawing or reading or something or watch a dvd. If children are not settling for sleep or we have several a awake we simply don't get a break, and that's fine I'm not complaining.
I don't see the problem, I usually spend my break if I get one grabbing a sandwich and running round cleaning the house but just occasionally I do take and use my lunch break as break. The physio appointment took an hour. Am I being unreasonable here? I have just had someone on another thread say please don't tell me you are cleaning your house while you are being paid to look after children, said I should be doing this in my own time. When I mentioned to a parent I had my evening meal ready and I had prepared it in the slow cooker at lunchtime they said I had been skiving off, and they weren't joking!

calmlychaotic Sun 07-Apr-13 20:56:39

I wasn't a childminder back then I should add!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now