Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Need help attracting clients

(19 Posts)
littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Sat 06-Apr-13 11:36:08

I think she means aged 15!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 06-Apr-13 07:40:38

Pretty sure my insurance only covers me for 12 kids, unless 3 are her own or something and not included? 6 is plenty for me!

lechatnoir Fri 05-Apr-13 23:14:16

15 children shock Is that even insurable/legal? You make looking after 10 children sound like money for old rope -sure fire route to insanity IMO!!

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Fri 05-Apr-13 22:43:21

thank you.... i'll look into all the suggestions x

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 05-Apr-13 21:27:51

Do you live within a safe walking distance of a primary? our local cm doesnt take on many full timers but has between 8 & 15 kids from 730 to 830 amand similar afterschool. friend uses her for this and pays about £90 for 4 days each week. Times that by an average of ten kids and you are laughing!

Does your town/village have a facebook page? Advertise in the parish mag.

fraktion Fri 05-Apr-13 21:13:06

Other sites try nannyjob (CMs can put CVs up and it's free so win-win), netmums local childcare and MN local.

Is your website optimised for searches? If someone searches for CM your town do you come up? How about CM next town over?

lechatnoir Fri 05-Apr-13 21:09:11

Aside from word of mouth & childcare.co.uk I've had enquiries via:
Local cm network weekly vacancies email

Chatting to a mum at the children's centre (who then tracked me down via the FIS listing)

Local CM's passing on enquiries they couldn't fulfil

Toddler group - I'm friendly with one of the nannies there ended up taking over her family when the youngest started school & they just needed wraparound

I asked the local pre-school to add my details to one of their weekly parent emails & had 2 enquires

You really need to put yourself 'out there' as much as possible to children's centre, toddler groups etc - not necessarily actively selling your services but just being a (hopefully wink) nice person & good with mindees and people do & will notice although this does take time. I registered in September & had a long 2 months without any mindees but in the last 2/3 months have turned down quite a few enquiries all recommendation of one description or another.

calmlychaotic Fri 05-Apr-13 18:47:29

Do you go to a childminder drop in, swap numbers with other cm so they can pass enquiries on.

calmlychaotic Fri 05-Apr-13 18:45:31

I have got most of my mindees from childcare.co.uk, I pay subscription and message everyone. The rest are from word of month, got a couple of enquiries but nothing came of it from leaflets under windscreen wipers of every car I saw with a car seat in. Could try leaving business cards at the desk in children's centre or local doctors. Attending classes at children's centre and letting everyone know you are a childminder also got interest but again no one actually booked.

DIYapprentice Fri 05-Apr-13 17:05:54

Are you near me??? <hopeful but doubtful!!>

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Fri 05-Apr-13 16:40:23

Thanks, I do offer that as a standard service, people only need to book single sessions. I am willing to work weekends, evenings and overnights. No shift too early or too late!

DIYapprentice Fri 05-Apr-13 16:33:43

Why don't you offer ad hoc care while you have free spaces? Making it clear that you may not always be available and that there may be some time restrictions (ie they would have to be there by a certain time if you are planning an outing to a playgroup).

It would give you extra money, but it would also give you the opportunity of meeting the parents first hand, so if they ever do need a CM in the future you would be the first port of call.

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Fri 05-Apr-13 16:19:38

Thanks for the replies.... I did do a business card drop in my locality. I'm also on childcare.co.UK.

I've spent all morning looking for jobs and there isn't much out there either!

I've applied for a laundry assistant and a warehouse operative. Also a midnight administrator at a local hotel!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 05-Apr-13 15:32:56

Maybe try a leaflet drop? I'll be down to 2 x 4 hours a week in sept but am having a baby in July so will be glad of the peace but can't live on that for long! Have had a few enquiries but for shift workers with babies which I don't want to commit to at the moment with loads of hospital appointments, I know loads of others are struggling round here too.

Areyoumadorisitme Fri 05-Apr-13 14:53:08

It's all about word of mouth and you happening to be free when someone needs toy change care plans. Can you team up with another local childminder who's is full and get the kids they can't accommodate?

Good luck, my childminder has just been offered a full time nursery post so is giving up soon, I only se her one day a week so am not looking forward to considering my options hmm

Suzycb Fri 05-Apr-13 14:50:34

I'm with u b'cos I'm experiencing almost same issue & whenever I'm lucky to receive a visit, I never hear from them especially when they told me they will! Quite frustrating @ moment.

MaryPoppinsBag Fri 05-Apr-13 14:42:49

I really struggled to start with, and I'm experiencing a lull at the moment.

Do you have a website? (I can't remember if OP said you did)

I have one and have a contact me section which allows parents to contact me and it goes to my email on my iPhone.

But I have found that word of mouth is best.

It sounds like you are doing a lot already to promote yourself.

But I know the feeling currently down to 4 part timers. And 2 of them have decided just to pay me as and when, and it makes it feel like it isn't worth doing.

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Fri 05-Apr-13 12:52:34

I have had a couple of mentions in the school newsletter,advertised in the parish newsletter,

I have a website and large yell advert.

I'm on the local authority list that gets sent to all parents requesting childcare information.

My poster is in the doctors and the newsagents.

What am I not doing?
Where did you hear about your current childminder?

I'm at the point deciding to let go of the three days of childcare I'm committed to, because I need to cover my bills and this is the third month I won't be able to cover them and my savings are running get out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now