This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny?

(7 Posts)
Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 21:26:18

I've always used one to one care for DS - sometimes nanny sometimes ap. I feel it's been best for him. He will go to nursery when he's a bit older - definitely from 3.

Wildwaterfalls Fri 05-Apr-13 19:58:39

Thanks all. Some food for thought. And apologies for asking a question which I know has been asked millions of times smile

Starting to feel nervous about going back to work I guess...

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 02:55:24

Career? Should read carer of course (I'm the one with the loving relationship with a career).

Callthemidlife Fri 05-Apr-13 02:52:53

Hugely expensive, but essential if you need flexibility - partly depends on how flexible your own boss is. Will you need to work overtime? Will you and dh be able to Have time off at short notice if baby is ill and needs to be at home?

Works other way to an extent, of course. Nannies have vacation rights too, so will you be able to synch vacations? What if nanny is ill?

I've done both nanny and nursery. I think continuity of care and ability of child to form loving relationship with committed career outweigh the extra costs, but I also liked establishing a two day a week nursery habit as it gave me option of alternative care when I needed it (could book in extra days when needed) which meant I didn't have to lean too hard on nanny's goodwill.

But it is very expensive for just one child (costs balance out if you have two kids).

nannynick Thu 04-Apr-13 23:40:11

A nanny for one child? Same cost as nursery? Not likely at all in my view. A nanny could easily cost you £30,000 for something like 8-6 Mon-Fri, probably more given you are in London.

SW London I would guess that a nanny could earn £12 gross an hour, certainly tends to be a bit more than I get in Surrey. Then on top of salary you have Employers NI, payroll admin (unless you fancy doing that yourself), activity cost (though you have that now, but might not with nursery), nannies travel whilst on duty, some food/drink for nanny (similar cost wise to you eating at home I guess).

Pro: nanny may well do child's laundry
Con: if nanny is ill, you have to cover
Pro: if child is ill, nanny may care for them

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 04-Apr-13 21:23:45

There are lots of threads about the pros/cons of each, have a look through, there are some quite strong opinions on both sides.

Personally I would use a nanny or childminder over a nursery, but I am a nanny who has worked in nurseries so possibly biased!

I would imagine a nanny would be significantly more expensive than a nursery. Having one child you do have the option of a nanny share though to halve costs. Alternatively you could consider a childminder, they fall somewhere between nanny and nursery.

Wildwaterfalls Thu 04-Apr-13 21:15:09

Although all set with a nursery place for DD (who will be 1y when I go back to work), I am suddenly having second thoughts and wondering whether a nanny might be better. Then DD can continue to have similar days as we do now, with activities, naps, walks etc.

Does anyone know whether nanny costs are similar to nursery costs (in SW London)?

Also, clearly what's best will vary for each family and child, but are there any pros and cons I should be aware of?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now