This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you pay a nanny cash in hand?

(31 Posts)
Crumblemum Thu 04-Apr-13 09:20:20

Hi there. Just returning to work after mat leave and looking for a new nanny. Due to meet one tomorrow who sounded great over the phone. When I asked about rates she suggested she was happy with cash in hand. We've always paid tax and NI etc, but paying cash in hand would obviously massively help us bills wise, but I'm a bit worried. Firstly for the nanny themselves - isn't it better for them to have NI contributions and secondly that we could get into trouble? Am I overthinking or should we be by the book?

Karoleann Fri 05-Apr-13 13:44:40

We will agree to disagree again.

noviceoftheday Fri 05-Apr-13 19:01:00

No I wouldn't. As far as I know, I still have my moral compass and don't like breaking the law. Oh, and if I was silly enough to do it and got caught, I alone (not my nanny) would be stuck with the liability, fine and stain on my reputation when I was named and shamed as a tax dodger..

waleedio Fri 17-May-13 17:22:49

All the parents I know (and many are in better financial situations than us)seem to pay cash in hand. In fact they all argue with me that I am silly for paying her tax and NI, and employers NI on top, and giving her paid holiday and a proper contract with entitlements she really should have by law. I value honesty very highly so whilst its a tremendous struggle (and hassle to calculate the overtime pay each month, especially now trying to operate RTI), it needs to be done. I am shocked at the dishonesty of this world. People have no incentive to not pay cash - it is a gamble but I don't think HMRC is catching enough dodgers out there (they just need to go to any neighbourhood with lots of young kids to find quite a few dodgers!)

BTW just joined, so hello everyone! are fathers allowed here or is it just mums? smile

Cathyrina Fri 17-May-13 20:09:10

I'm just back home from an interview where I was offered cash in hand, this is a reason for me to decline the job as I know it is illegal and even though the parents have to pay a fee (around £3k I think) if they get caught (plus criminal record I believe!) and the nanny won't get into any further trouble, it's also a thing about maternity leave etc. because less money in your contract means less money for anything happening because what is in the contract counts - but most importantly it simply is illegal and I wouldn't feel good doing it so won't take the job.

NomDeClavier Sat 18-May-13 20:31:22

The fine has gone up to 100% of the unpaid money due plus the tax/NÍ etc. It's a big gamble, especially with RTI, we hitch means HMRC are going to notice more swiftly if someone's contributions suddenly stop or start after a long absence and they'll check it out.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 18-May-13 20:38:27

MrAnchivy is correct as usual. An employee has little ir no control over whether tax is paid. So why would they be liable. They would only be liable for something like claiming benefits and not declaring earnings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now