This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny job advice?

(18 Posts)
LouiseAnastasia Mon 01-Apr-13 18:21:18

I've been looking for a full time nanny job for a while now and you can imagine my joy when last week I received an email from a man asking me to a nanny interview.

It's for 2 days a week which isn't really what I was looking for but it's better than nothing, isn't it? Anyway, early last week the man started looking at my profile on childcare.co.uk where I get emails when someone looks at my page. I tried looking at his and he's chosen to keep his profile private.

He asked for my address and my phone number which I gave. Then he said he'd text me his address, which he did do. He asked me to bring two forms of photo ID and proof of address, he said you can never be too careful when it comes to your children which I understand and agreed with.

Anyway, today I drove round to their address to make sure I knew where it was for when we meet up and the house looks deserted, like no-one lives there. I've chosen to take a friend to the interview as something doesn't add up about it but now I'm starting to worry. Do I go to the interview or am I being unreasonable to worry about this?

ilikecooking Mon 01-Apr-13 18:31:11

Have you got names of the (nursery) schools attended by the children? If so, could you do a bit of detective work?

You could meet in a neutral place ie coffee shop. Have the friend already there when you arrive.

Do you have a landline number for him? You would need this in the event of working from him.

Ask if he has had any previous nannies etc then ask to speak to any previous employees/nannies he has had for references on him.

Will be thinking about other strategies all night now!

botandhothered Mon 01-Apr-13 18:36:24

Have you spoken to him? Or has it just been email and texts?

LouiseAnastasia Mon 01-Apr-13 18:37:34

He hasn't told me anything about the children! I know more about the parents than the actual children. All I know about the children is that they're twin boys who like to go to the park! He insisted on meeting in his house which I thought was a little odd and I just have a mobile number. Do you think I should contact him and ask for more information before we meet up? All strategies welcome!

LouiseAnastasia Mon 01-Apr-13 18:38:56

I've sent him a few emails and two text messages, he hasn't asked to speak on the phone. Is that odd?

botandhothered Mon 01-Apr-13 18:41:24

Maybe contact him to let him know that someone like your Dad or brother will be driving you, as your windscreen has cracked. On the pretext that you're sure he would like to check your car is suitable for transporting his children, but that won't be possible tommorrow and you thought you ought to pre warn him???
If it's dodgy he may cancel?

botandhothered Mon 01-Apr-13 18:44:56

Yes it's odd not to speak to someone on the phone before arranging a meet.
Most parents like to have a good chat to get a good idea of whether or not they want to meet a nanny.

FlorenceMattell Mon 01-Apr-13 19:28:00

Hi
If the house looked deserted seems strange. Check you have got the right postcode. Ie text him you need it for sat nav as the postcode he gave you not finding it. Pretend you got a letter wrong. Then look at google maps.

I would insist on meeting in a coffee shop. With friend already there. Just say you are happy to meet children etc at a second interview.

But ultimately go with your instinct, I think it is unusual for a man to contact a nanny if the mum is about. Do not put yourself in danger. Make sure you copy his texts to a friend, phone number etc

Cathyrina Mon 01-Apr-13 19:48:33

Everything that has been said already, it does sound quite dodgy and I would insist on meeting in public if you feel uncomfortable about it. If he asks why then maybe just say there is a place where you always have all your first interviews just because you want to be careful. Nothing wrong about that, your safety goes first and you can still have a second interview at their house. If he wants you to meet the kids, maybe suggest to meet in the park (again, with a friend nearby), playground etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Apr-13 20:15:23

Does sound dodgy - be careful

i used to send out my cv with my address, but now ive taken it off my cv just say i live in blondesland wink and have no name of road/postcode etc

its to protect myself as i may send out my cv then the family may turn round and say not interested or vice versia and tbh I dont want any tom, dick or harry to have my personal details

A driving license with your name/address/photo is sufficient

ring him and suggest meeting in a public place, or email that to him if you want time to word it better and so you dont seem hesitant on the phone - and just say it what your agency always recommends for first interview

def take a friend if you decide to meet in the house

bbcessex Mon 01-Apr-13 20:38:03

It could be nothing but it doens't sound ideal and I think you are right to be wary.

When i've used childcare.co.uk I've always been upfront with the candidates I've asked to interview; told them a bit about the job, the children etc via email and then phone call. I wouldn't expect a nanny to come to the interview without having some basic info from me first.

I have always had nannies to the house for interview, but now I'm wondering if I was a bit naive!!!! From what you say, I would definitely take a friend, and/or ask to meet at a coffee shop or play space. It's definitely not worth taking any risks.. if this job doesn't work out, there will be others.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being cautious.. Good luck and be careful x

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 20:51:06

I think this sounds strange - please trust your instincts and don't go if it feels wrong.

nannynick Mon 01-Apr-13 21:05:00

Google name, address, email address, mobile number, any details you have to see how much info there is out there on the web about the person.
Visit the address again tomorrow, anything changed?

If you do not feel happy, do not go. Rearrange to meet in a more public place.

LouiseAnastasia Mon 01-Apr-13 21:56:08

Thank you everyone, I'm about to email him and suggest we meet in a more public place. Fingers crossed it goes well!

botandhothered Mon 01-Apr-13 22:28:43

Let us know what happens!
I hope it turns out to be a great job.
If he is genuine he will understand why you want to meet in a public place.

fraktion Tue 02-Apr-13 07:36:21

I hope he will see your POV. Even if you ask him to meet in a public place, ask him to bring some stuff about the boys. It would sadly be quite easy for a good liar to sit in a coffee shop and convince someone enough for a second interview at their house.

I think it sounds very strange tbh.

fraktion Tue 02-Apr-13 07:36:56

Oh and if he doesn't then report his profile to childcare.co.uk in case.

nannynick Tue 02-Apr-13 23:57:40

Any reply to the email?
I do wonder how genuine this job is, or maybe it is a variation on the identity theft scam.
Youseem to be lacking info about the job (or maybe just no telling us) and level of id documents seems a bit high for initial interview stage.
As ever when meeting people you only know via the web, approach with caution.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now