Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Driving licence and Insurance

(20 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Sat 30-Mar-13 12:42:36

theres a cm on here who doesnt allow parents in her house and literally coats/bags the child and takes to the door

maybe do that, then no chatting for 45 mins [bsmile]

ifmamaainthappy Sat 30-Mar-13 10:27:42

Thank's all, the £ 1 per minute does seem fare smile to me, what does everyone else think?? I shall not rise to her email, i shall inform whoever drops of for the next session that i'm happy to discuss it in their contract hours, not my time ( no longer shall i be a MUG!!), she comes bang on 5 when on time then want's to stand chatting for up to 45 minutes,, NO MORE!!!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 29-Mar-13 23:57:18

Start charging late fees - ESP If it says in the contract

Maybe send out a round robin email and say that it has come to your attention that some Families are late and you will be charging late penalties as agreed in your contract

£1 a minute is a good fee grin for those that take the piss keep being late

Not sure why she wants copies - she is not your employer - but fine to show her - maybe she just wants to verify that you are insured?

Groups are hard - if one parent doesn't want to pay then can cause difficulties

Can you not pay them Yourself but claim them back as an expense

Obv only works if you earn enough to pay tax

ivykaty44 Fri 29-Mar-13 22:42:28

I would say no to copy of my documents, yes to seeing the relevant record and yes to seeing those relevant documents yearly if they ask - but a no for data protection reasons to giving out a copy which you do not know who else she may show or where in her house she may keep that document. The last bit being the most important - where in her house would she keep copies of the documents that you photocopied...

LadyHarrietdeSpook Fri 29-Mar-13 22:30:47

Another vote for show originals but give no copies. They have no right to request this. Don't feel guilty saying no.

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 21:40:23

>I can see there being any right to a copy.
Should have been "can't see" - not sure where the 't went... I thought it but didn't type it!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 29-Mar-13 21:40:20

Seeing yes - a copy no in my opinion.

You wouldn't give those personal details out to anyone else - why should they have a record of them?

Enjoy your Easter break.

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 21:01:48

Thank's nannynick (and everyone else) i have no intentions of doing or saying anything until i'm back at work grin

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 20:59:42

I can see there being any right to a copy. Seeing them, sure but a copy... why would she need a copy? Would she tell you why she wants a copy?

Maybe wait a few days, it's Easter after all, then ask her why she wants a copy rather than just seeing the documents. Perhaps say that it's difficult to get a copy - as you do not have a photocopier (ok, I know you can take a photo of the documents but maybe that isn't sufficient for what she wants to use the documents for).

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:53

So should she have any right to have a copy of my Documents??? I can't see any unless she think's she is my employer other than her being a client of mine all very strange given the timing

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 29-Mar-13 20:46:48

That would be my concern - how often are these children with you?

Having all costs covered in your fees would avoid this potentially tricky and annoying situation.

How are things otherwise in your business and local area? It's an odd time to find new minders but if they are regularly a pita could / would you consider giving them notice? You could then be very upfront with new families about these costs and charge tether from the very start.

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 20:20:57

I never go anywhere without parental permission so they always have the opportunity to discuss prior to any cost, thus begs the question of summer holiday outings what do i do if some want to go and this family don't want to pay?? It seems such a shame for the children to miss out.

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 20:17:02

The thing is i did ask before i charged, and Both parent's said it was fine, the children get so much out of it it would be a shame for them not to go, but on the same hand i have given my all to assist in every way, not only financial, I doubt she'd be happy to a pay increase, sometimes you feel that people want childcare but don't want to pay for it, (i know that is the minority) blimey when fuel goes up we have to pay!!! I really do feel that i'm just being a vent for a bad day sad

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 29-Mar-13 20:02:24

If was you I would stick to my guns about the late payment charge. That can't be allowed to continue.

The entry fees is a bit more tricky if it's always been in the contract but you've only just started charging for it. Personally I prefer all the fees to be included in the hourly rate - it's easier to budget. Would she prefer it if you upped your hourly rate slightly (what would cover it will depend on how many hours the children are with you -5p or 10p an hour?) so that she always knew what she would be paying? She may be worried that it could suddenly go up if you wanted to go to more places.

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 19:56:39

Both parent's are together, holiday booked for abroad, they both drive, children always having new thing's, toys, outings, which i know is non of my business, i have had quiet a few issues always about payment with this family, always me backing down and letting them of with outstanding fee's and have never ever charged late payment before even when they children were collected late every week, by 40 minutes sometimes dad was sat at home, so i really have i feel given my part, i just think that sometimes people have to respect the fact that if they are late then they should pay and stop taking advantage, i have just sent all my parent's new doc's for review as i do on a annual basis.

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 19:48:17

I've no idea?? I just find the request strange after 3 years confused, as i say i think she's a little miffed about being charged for being late and she's throwing anything she can think of, i was going going to reply to say we'd talk when i'm at work, but thought i'd just leave it, if she's a bit miffed she doesn't need winding up any.. sad

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 19:48:07

It does sound like her circumstances have changed and things are tight money wise, so maybe a contract review could be scheduled so that you both come to a revised agreement with regard to charges which you both consider to be reasonable. As you say, you could include the outings in the rate, you could decide not to impose a late fee on this occasion.

Is there more too it... is the child's father around, are they perhaps requiring confirmation that childcare suitable and their legal representative is asking for these documents?

nannynick Fri 29-Mar-13 19:42:28

I wonder why they want a copy of the documents, rather than just looking at them? As you are transporting their child, I feel it's reasonable for them to request to see the documents but I am not sure it's reasonable for them to have a copy of them. What would they be doing with the copy?

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 19:16:27

It's not a PROBLEM TO PROVIDE A COPY OF ANY DOCUMENT, I'M JUST SURPRISED I'VE NEVER BEEN ASKED BY ANYONE, AND NOT AFTER 3 YEARS!! ( caps of sorry wink

ifmamaainthappy Fri 29-Mar-13 19:09:20

I have just been asked by one of my parent's for copies of my driving licence, car insurance, and PLI (which is on display as per stated in my contracts) do you supply these in your starter pack?? I'm just a little surprised to be asked as I've been looking after her child for 3 years!!
She has also stated she's not happy i'm charging her for the 1st time for being late, A very regular thing with this particular family, which i do understand that people cannot help it if they are late, i look after the children like my own until they arrive and have f for the last 3 year's but i just thought well if your going to be late it's in my contract and P & P that i will charge you, it's about time i did something about it.
Do you charge for additional activities ie play center's?? ( i also have this in my contract, that the parent's will pay!!) I have been attending regular with me paying for it, and a few months ago mentioned that as this was in my contract and the children enjoyed it so much, would she mind if i invoiced them, both parents verbally agreed that it was fine, now but she's just asked me not to take her children as she cant afford it (£5.00 a month for 2), i do look after other children on these day's so what do i do??, She emailed it all to me and i do understand that thing's can be tight for family's in the current climate, i haven't replied because it really sound's like she's not had a good day and i'm at the end of it,, What would you do?? My first thought would be to not charge her for being late and go back to me playing for the play sessions,, What do you think???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now