Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can you share your good pracitces - Multi cutural setting (cm0)

(10 Posts)
Jiina Sun 07-Apr-13 16:35:07

I'd speak to him in English, but learn a few 'essential' Polish words as back up just in case (i.e. Hello, hungry, thirsty, tired, hurt/pain). I've always found that with very small children tone of voice and facial expression count for at least as much as the words you use, if not more.

Even if you only speak to him in English, it's always nice to say hello and goodbye in Polish.

As for other things you could do, ask his parents if they've used particular Polish nursery rhymes/lullabies with him, and see if you can get hold of a copy. Maybe he could teach you all how to sing them?

Also, you could ask if there's any particular Polish food he really likes, and see if you can get hold of some (even if you have to ask his parents to bring it in one day) for everyone to share.

It's less about the language you use (because they're all going to have to speak English at school, anyway), and more about him feeling accepted even though he does some things differently.

MUM2BLESS Wed 03-Apr-13 22:17:43

When speaking to a polish speaking child is it best to speak to him in english? or should I say polish words too? not sure if I am trying too hard?

Thank you.

MUM2BLESS Sun 31-Mar-13 21:12:55

Just printed off some words from stickers that you can buy

very good - bardzo dobrze
good - dobrze
well done - dobrze zrobiony

I know I will need to listen to how its pronouced, not sure what the polish words will sound like, using my my nottinghamshire accent

I think it will be fun !!

smile

MUM2BLESS Sun 31-Mar-13 20:54:04

Some awesome advice. Will make some notes and put some useful english/polish words together.

Have you got any useful websites you use for children whos mother tongue is is not english?

Any cm who have english as a second language? what advice would you give to someone who is taking on a child in the same situation?
Thanks

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 31-Mar-13 09:15:00

Great idea, greenbananas! I have two Iranian children starting soon and a little girl whose mother is Croatian. Also have 6 other nationalities :D

I should change my setting's name to United Nations R Us!

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Mar-13 23:00:27

I also have Google translate on my phone

greenbananas Sat 30-Mar-13 22:23:18

All of the above... and I also asked the (English-speaking) parents of a Polish child I looked after to provide me with a 'cheat sheet' of useful words in Polish, which I pinned to a cupboard door (e.g. good, well done, just a minute, hungry, thirsty, tired, toilet, please, thank you, mummy is at work, etc.) They gave me the Polish spellings but also helped me to write the words phonetically in English so that I could pronounce them properly.

A little boy who speaks Portugese enjoys asking me to repeat words and phrases in Portugese to that he can laugh at my dodgy accent grin

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Mar-13 17:34:37

Pictures of toys and activities. A few simple signs (wee, drink, eat,etc). A few words you can use (shoes, car, sleep,etc). Lots and lots of language based songs and play. Total immersion in a foreign language has rapid results with small children.

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sat 30-Mar-13 17:21:44

Talking, listening, singing, rhymes, word games. Repetition and reinforcement. Picture books with simple pictures and words.

MUM2BLESS Fri 29-Mar-13 18:36:54

My setting is mutli cutural.

I am about to take on a little one who has polish parents I believe he understans english too, but not sure how much as he has only been to my home twice.

What do you do to develop a child whos mother tongue is not english? i do not mind learning some polish words if necessary.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now