This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Cm-So day off today and guess what im doing?

(59 Posts)
wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 18:05:44

Been to town and bought a ipad 4 for the minded children

Just downloaded a load of apps for them and had a play on the apps grin

nokidshere Sat 30-Mar-13 00:02:10

All my minded children use my ipad (my sisters bought it for me for my birthday) more than I do. They love it.

the 2 year old is more than capable of turning it on and finding his own folder full of fantastic games and puzzles and is very pleased with himself when he collects gold stars for doing them!

The older children all use them at school and home. They use mine ot record themselves and take pics and its nearly always a social event rather than one child sitting in a corner playing on it.

Technology is here to stay and has many good qualities - its no different to any other medium that we might have had when we were young!

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 30-Mar-13 01:50:41

'The older children all use them at school and home'

That's the exact reason it would be low priority for me. The sand and water table on the other hand they don't have at school or home. Great that they can do that at the chilminders.

pictish Sat 30-Mar-13 01:54:06

Oh stop moaning you bunch of miseries.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 30-Mar-13 01:59:16

grin

EeyoresGloomyPlace Sat 30-Mar-13 07:47:01

What pictish said ......

MrsHeggulePoirot Sat 30-Mar-13 07:54:53

Brilliant idea! My dd loves my iPad - she has leant loads through it. One of the first things she mastered was pair style games and she is a demon when we play that now with real cards, or any of those orchard games that require you to remember where cards/ pieces have been turned over and back again. That is just one example - but there are loads with shapes, numbers, letters etc...

MrsHeggulePoirot Sat 30-Mar-13 07:55:18

And what Pictish said grin

KoalaFace Sat 30-Mar-13 08:01:47

Pictish beat me to it. grin

It's a bit of a stretch to imagine children bent over an ipad for hours just because there is one available. OP seems like she provides lots of different activities and knows what she's doing.

Pendipidy Sat 30-Mar-13 08:13:23

What kind of sand and water table costs £272! Sounds like you have money to burn and like boasting about it for some reason.

perplexedpirate Sat 30-Mar-13 08:16:32

It's her livelihood. It's called an investment. hmm

Flisspaps Sat 30-Mar-13 08:27:22

I'd think it a bonus if I had a CM for my kids with an iPad - I'm a CM and can't afford one grin

rubyflipper Sat 30-Mar-13 08:31:12

Can I be one of your mindees? [bgrin].

I'll be no trouble at all!

yellowhousewithareddoor Sat 30-Mar-13 08:39:42

Wow I don't know anyone that employs a cook. I want one!

wednesdaygirl Sat 30-Mar-13 10:49:25

Its called a sand/water station

Its a circle shape with 4 pods and lids

Going to use 2 for sand and water and 2 for topics ie pine cones, shells etc

Robust is what im after

The lids on top also double up as tables for outdoor painting

MUM2BLESS Sat 30-Mar-13 12:10:58

You lot are weird, did I misread the op? Is she dosing them with Valium?

She bought a computer for the kids to use and your problem is?

Excuse me HerrenaHarridan i find your comments rude. weird??

I have not got a problem with the item purchased. Its probably very good. We all have our own personal opinions. I personally would not spend so much on a gadget and claim it as an expense. Some may agree, some may not.

I am all for bringing the kids to antoher level but may not choose to do it using that method.

andrea29 Sat 30-Mar-13 12:12:31

I am a nanny and my MB wants the children to use the ipad/computer ocassionally. They learn from that too. I supervise them and we only let them use websites they learn from. Nothing wrong with using the ipad/computer.

MUM2BLESS Sat 30-Mar-13 12:23:31

Your riight nothing wrong with using it. If you have the money then that okay. I know some will buy items that they stuggle to pay for. I know you can claim the expence but have you got the money in the first place?

Wednesdaysgirl may be able to afford it (not being critical!! thats her personal choice*

But those of us who choose not too aren't weird.

wednesdaygirl Sat 30-Mar-13 14:29:21

I have 2 bank accounts

My work account gets all money from cm paid into it

I work out over 12 months what i earn and divide it by 52

I take that anount abd deduct wages for staff and a % for tax and also leave ££ for a rainy day

Well end of tax yr and i have over £1000 of extra money left so spent most of it yesterday on the children i look after

Many people manage money in different ways this is my way, i didnt just decide to buy a ipad i have reserched it and spoken to the head of the primary school on ways they use theres and decided it was a good investment

Anyway didnt start this thread as a arguement it was just a just saying thread

MUM2BLESS Sat 30-Mar-13 14:43:40

Wednesdaygirl please dont think I am getting at you. You seem like a lovely organised cm. You work hard so why not.

I bet you wish you did not posted this. I am not critizing you at all. All the best.

wednesdaygirl Sat 30-Mar-13 15:00:55

smilesmilewink

HSMMaCM Sat 30-Mar-13 17:10:31

wednesdaygirl - thinking of doing something similar for my mindees. ICT is part of EYFS after all. My DD was expected to be able to use technology from reception at primary school. I am certainly not planning to watch anyone hunched over it. Will have a look at raspberry pi. Sounds interesting. I will remember not to tell anyone here if I go ahead grin

wednesdaygirl Sun 31-Mar-13 13:02:31

Rasberry pi is more for children aged 12+
My brother in law made it wink so already have one or two

wednesdaygirl Sun 31-Mar-13 13:11:02

To make rasberry pi wireless you need a dongle which needs a usb port, the rasberry pi has only 2 usb ports so you will be unable to a keyboard and mouse unless you use a usb hub.

QuintEggSensuality Sun 31-Mar-13 13:52:39

Well done your brother in law! My dh is very excited about this kit, we want one for our 10 year old as we believe it to be superior than any tablet in terms of learning. Needing a USB hub is not a problem at all, I should think.

Maybe an ipad at the CM is better than one at home, as they wont badger you for just one more free game, just £1 for that app and this app etc.

wednesdaygirl Sun 31-Mar-13 17:52:27

Follow him on twitter
@teknoteacher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now