Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cm-So day off today and guess what im doing?

(59 Posts)
wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 18:05:44

Been to town and bought a ipad 4 for the minded children

Just downloaded a load of apps for them and had a play on the apps grin

MUM2BLESS Fri 29-Mar-13 18:47:23

Excuse me for asking how much did it cost? How will you monitor who plays on it and how long etc. Will you need to ask permission from the parents.

It sounds like a good idea.

Sorry for questioning you as the ipad is kinna new to me.

Thank you

MortifiedAdams Fri 29-Mar-13 18:51:06

Hope you arent my CM.

perplexedpirate Fri 29-Mar-13 18:54:56

Um, why Mortified?

MortifiedAdams Fri 29-Mar-13 18:56:14

Because I dont want my LO sat playing apps.

grabaspoon Fri 29-Mar-13 19:08:56

Mortified - I am a nanny - and have on ocassion (very rarely) let my charge play on my tablet.

What are your objections? smile

nbee84 Fri 29-Mar-13 19:10:15

Mortified - there are lots of educational apps, it's not all Angry Birds.

My reception age charge's school have them for use in the classroom. They were doing phonics on them on Wednesday morning.

fuckwittery Fri 29-Mar-13 19:10:17

I wouldn't be very happy as a parent and won't it get broken quickly?

EeyoresGloomyPlace Fri 29-Mar-13 19:12:52

What's the problem? Assuming proper monitoring/supervision etc there are tonnes of great apps both educational and fun. Schools are starting to use them too. Dd1 loves ours and we have lots of fun playing it together.

MortifiedAdams Fri 29-Mar-13 19:13:44

I get that it is educational. I dont give dd much screen time. my CM doesnt have a tv. It isnt necessary to educate or entertain using a tablet or tv imo.

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 19:15:10

Business expense? Cheeky....

I would not be happy to find that my nanny or cm let my dc sit huddled and bent over a tablet, and that I paid for the privilege. It creates a demand, and I would not want you g dc coming home to beg for one. They are not toys. If you need an app to provide "education" in the setting I would be very worried

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 29-Mar-13 19:17:07

It wouldn't be a selling point for me, but wouldn't bother me either. The DC's have them at school.

redwellybluewelly Fri 29-Mar-13 19:22:51

Can highly recommend an OtterBox to keep it safe, easy to break ipads.

We got one for our daughter aged about a year so she could begin to communicate and learn to use her hands (mildly disabled) and its been great.

I'd have no issues with one being available in her childcare setting.

perplexedpirate Fri 29-Mar-13 20:08:35

I totally don't get that. Why would you not use educational technology?
In FS1 they have to learn how to use a computer, why not a touch screen?

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:18

Well our school has 6 in in class and just been ofsteded and ofsted loved them
Business expence::totally locked and passworded and the only apps on it are for 9yr olds and under

The children can also take photos with it

Were moving more into tech now and ict is a big thing

Ipad 4 cost £399 and the case was £39.99

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 20:57:37

How old are your charges then?

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 21:02:32

If it is purely for educational purposes, why not get Rasberry Pi? Perfect for kids and very educational, your charges can sit together and learn how to code in scratch, and actually create computer games. Create rather than consume technology. Each kit is just £79.

That would impress me as a parent, not an ipad, to be honest.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 29-Mar-13 21:11:20

For me it would seem a lot of money for something that is very, very low priority, in terms of what I'm looking for a childminder to provide.

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 21:14:52

Did look at other tablets but went with apple cause i know it

Wont be used everyday

Just decided to have a spend today also got a new sand/water station for the children which was £272

QuintEggSensuality Fri 29-Mar-13 21:57:53

Sand, water, Ipads, how old are your charges again?

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 22:18:14

Between 1 and 11 x

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 22:22:01

I have 17 children during the week (not all at once) i employ 2 assistants, a cleaner and a cook

MUM2BLESS Fri 29-Mar-13 22:32:19

Amazing reactions.

I would not feel right spending so much money on a gadget for childminding. It may be used for educational purposes but not by me.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 29-Mar-13 22:48:01

You lot are weird, did I misread the op? Is she dosing them with Valium?

She bought a computer for the kids to use and your problem is?

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 23:49:08

smilegrinwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now