This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder charging for bank holidays even though she won't work them?

(62 Posts)
redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 20:10:25

as above really. I'm a bit gobsmacked. Is this common?

Akasa Tue 07-May-13 22:33:49

I charge and it is totally clear in my business offer to potential customers as well as in my contracts that no service is available. It is certainly not cheeky as has been suggested to charge for b/hols if no service is available - no more cheeky than it is to charge for some paid leave - it is simply what my Ts & Cs are - if a parent does not like what I offer, they can seek alternative provision. I make no exception on this particular issue.

What would be cheeky (and actually deceitful) would be to not make everything abundantly clear to potential "customers", giving them absolute choice as to whether accept the business offer or not.

I do worry that many people uncomfortable with this or other contencious issues have not had had a full explanation from the nursery/childminder offering the service.

looneytune Tue 07-May-13 19:32:35

Not UNcommon but I think it can vary from person to person. I see nothing wrong with charging and not working as long as this is clear in the contract and the parent knew what they were signing. I don't like seeing childminders being bashed over and over again on these threads by parents who have signed agreeing to such terms, if you don't like it, don't sign the contract! Haven't read the whole thread but have to agree with Tanith!

Oh and just for the record, I only stopped childminding just over a month ago after 8 years and no, I DIDN'T charge! smile

looselegs Tue 07-May-13 13:57:35

I'm not criticising-like I said we all work differently.Unfortunately some people just don't like being questioned about what they do.
It is cheeky to charge unless you are prepared to offer care if parents need it.I take it you are a minder Tanith and you charge for BH but won't work them (is that why you are so defensive?).Fine-thats your choice. But if a parent turned up on your doorstep on a BH and asked you to care for their child as they'd paid for their place,would you do it?

HSMMaCM Tue 07-May-13 07:12:32

You're right Tanith. The plumber does not care for your beloved pipes 50 hrs per week for 10 yrs. it's a different arrangement.

Tanith Mon 06-May-13 23:26:26

As has been pointed out many times before, not only does the plumber incorporate bank holidays in his overall rate, he does not work for more than one client simultaneously, as a childminder does.

Tanith Mon 06-May-13 23:23:48

Yes, you are criticising. You have said it is "cheeky" and affirmed that you would never do it. You imply that childminders who charge for bank holidays are doing something wrong.

Unless you have access to someone's contract and details of the service they provide, you have no right to judge them. How do you know they aren't charging more cheaply in another area of their service? Or offering a service you don't?

looselegs Mon 06-May-13 19:56:26

I'm not criticising at all-I was just trying to put another angle on things.If you asked a plumber (who would probably be self employed) to do some work for you but the week he was going to start had a Bank Holiday Monday so he didn't start till the Tuesday ,then you wouldn't expect him to charge you for the Bank Holiday would you?
And how would it generate more business for me??...unless somewhere on here there is my name, address, and Ofsted number,I can't see how that's possible.
I'm full anyway...

Tanith Mon 06-May-13 19:40:11

Indeed we do all have our own way if doing things.

So why are you criticising other childminders for not doing things exactly as you do? Are you hoping it will generate more business for you?

looselegs Mon 06-May-13 19:00:09

I actually think it's a bit cheeky to charge for a day that you're not prepared to work on.I'm a CM and I have never charged for BH's. I have CM friends that do charge, but won't work-yet if the parents of the children turned up on the doorstep with them on a BH, is the CM within her right to turn them away? If the parent has paid for that day,then maybe they should be able to use it. Many parents have jobs which don't recognise BH's-nurses, police officers for example;hospitals and police stations don't close for BH so they may need childcare.
There are 'minders who charge for BH's but if they work then they charge double-I don't know why;I shouldn't think the care is any better on a BH than on any other day!
We all have our own way of doing things, and nobody is better than anyone else-just different x

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 05-May-13 20:52:25

It wasn't standard practice in the nursery my two went to. They didnt charge when they were closed.

We don't get paid for bank holidays either.

Springforward Sun 05-May-13 20:44:15

Not surprised really, this is standard practice in nurseries.

As others have said some will some won't but hrly rate is more. Our last childminder didn't but was more per hr n our current one charges 50% but daily rate is less... Our nursery charge full rate for bh other than xmas as they close for a wk.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 01-May-13 15:45:26

Willow - does it say in your contract beside the ' I don't work bh' that she still charges

Or does it say anywhere in the contract? Even in very tiny smallprint?

longjane Wed 01-May-13 09:58:19

what get me it is is the SE people that are moaning
because surely
they are used to reading and writing contacts
and negotiating them

Stoney666 Wed 01-May-13 09:14:34

I charge
Always have done (over 12 years)
It's all in paperwork before they even come to visit me
Nobody has ever had a problem
I charge for my holidays to grin

ThePendant Tue 30-Apr-13 23:13:37

My cm doesn't charge for BHs.

But I pay her anyway because I love her to bits and it seems a nice way of saying thank you for putting up with my foul children smile

DuelingFanjo Tue 30-Apr-13 23:07:22

This is a standard thing in nurseries isn't it. I get paid for my bank holidays in work but then spend it on the nursery even though ds can't go in because it's closed. Pretty normal I think?

Akasa Tue 30-Apr-13 23:02:09

As a childminder, I charge my normal rate on Bank Holidays but my contracts stipulate that service is not available. I know that people question how a charge can be levied when there is no service but it depends how you write your contracts - more and more C/Ms are contracting some paid leave - I personally don't build in paid leave but have always had paid bank holidays - it is certainly a growing trend. In more than 10 years I have never once had a parent make a negative comment about paying for Bank Holidays if they fall on their contracted days. This is a classic case of caveat emptor - I write my contracts myself but "walk through" them with prospective parents section by section so there are no hidden surprises. If a prospective parent is uncomfortable with what I am proposing then I need to ensure they know everything at the outset.

Fuckwittery Tue 30-Apr-13 20:52:01

pretty standard, I've had 3 childminders. I asked my Cm to work one bank hol and she charged double pay for working BH.

lechatnoir Tue 30-Apr-13 20:48:28

I charge for BH if a child's day falls on them & if they want to use my services they have to pay half again as I charge 1.5x normal rate for them.

It's all well & good saying factor in to your normal rate but I'd say 90% of people making initial enquiries want to know my hourly rate & if I put it up more than my competitors to make up for not charging for BH, I wouldn't get any business! I also charge full fee for 4 weeks annual leave otherwise I couldn't afford to take any & wouldn't last long without a break all year so don't feel bad about it. I've probably lost a few enquiries because of my BH / annual leave charging policy but am full with a waiting list so clearly must be doing something right grin

Mintyy Tue 30-Apr-13 20:01:00

Op, how much do you earn per hour and how much do you pay your childminder per hour?

willowstar Tue 30-Apr-13 19:52:58

I have just come to this thread because I have been charged for bank holidays. I read my contract and she ticked 'I am not available to work bank holidays' so it just never crossed my mind she would charge for them. I have 2 children there and am making very little money as it is, just very difficult to swallow. My husband is self employed works round the clock and we are struggling, just feeling mighty pissed off about it!

nokidshere Fri 29-Mar-13 23:57:31

I agree Goldmandra!

I go through the contract fully - holidays, bank holidays, sickness - everything fully before it is signed. I dont want parents who dont agree with my practice because it upsets the equilibrium of my home.

I would be more than a bit miffed if a parent signed the contract then started complaining about parts of it.

LucieLucie Fri 29-Mar-13 20:23:39

The contract is supposed to be negotiated on agreement between cm and parent. All terms and conditions should have been discussed and her availability and terms and conditions SHOULD be in her policies.

I didn't ever charge unless I was available as I thought it was cheeky, however many of my cm colleagues did and they also charge half fees for their own holidays.

Bottom line is that she should have got your agreement on this before letting you take the space. I would suggest a discussion to clear the air, she may well review it if she wants to keep you happy.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 29-Mar-13 19:51:08

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now