Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

childminder charging for bank holidays even though she won't work them?

(62 Posts)
redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 20:10:25

as above really. I'm a bit gobsmacked. Is this common?

What does your contract say?

skaen Thu 28-Mar-13 20:11:31

I think it is in the standard NCMA contract. It is quite annoying but if you signed the contract you're committed to it really.

redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 20:15:18

yep is in the contract, so have to pay it - my fault for not checking it. Doesn't take away the fact i think that's no way to build a working relationship with a client. Nice work if you can get it!

nannynick Thu 28-Mar-13 20:20:30

Every childminder will have different ways of running their business. This topic seems to come up every time there is a bank holiday - some childminders charge, some do not.

Some will have a higher hourly rate than others. One thing about childcare is that parents will sometimes shop around on price, so to get lower hourly rate there may be charges for times when the service is not used or not available. If comparing providers, calculate the total annual cost.

As ever, before signing a contract... read it. Discuss things before you sign.

pompompom Thu 28-Mar-13 20:23:13

Presumably you get paid for the bank holidays you don't work?

DeafLeopard Thu 28-Mar-13 20:25:15

pompompom - only if the OP is employed. Self-employed people generally don't get paid for a B/H.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 28-Mar-13 20:29:47

You agreed to the cm's terms and signed a contract

As cm's are se techinally try won't get paid holidays or sick pay / bug if they have worded it in the contract they they do then up to them

Their terms and you signed it

As nick said some charge - some don't - some have higher hourly rates to compensate

I'm se and won't be paid for tomorrow or Monday

redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 20:42:02

i'm self employed and if I told my clients i was going to charge them for work that i wasn't going to do, I know what reaction I'd get. Yes it was in the contract, yes i will pay it. Long term though it doesn't do much for client/childminder relations.

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 28-Mar-13 20:45:08

Er... Surely u are using their time solely? She can't subcontract for those days? So unsure why she couldn't charge? I don't like nursery charging either but resigned to fact they will. I'd be amazed if a cm didn't/hadn't cottoned on to some of it too...

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 28-Mar-13 20:46:07

I meant dedicated not sole as no doubt more kids but she's keeping a spot for u. Why diff to nursery?

redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 20:49:50

no you misunderstand I think - i'd have no issue paying a retainer to keep a space, but that's not what this is - she is charging me, but will also not work that day (she is closed). It's her choice to close - why should she expect to be paid for a service she isn't willing to provide.

pompompom Thu 28-Mar-13 21:49:20

Its pretty standard at nurseries as well.

badguider Thu 28-Mar-13 21:55:25

Nurseries do this???
I only need 2 days a week nursery but if they charge for bank hols when they're shut there's no way in taking a Monday!
(I am also se and only paid the days I work)

Goldmandra Thu 28-Mar-13 22:00:54

As a childminder myself I have only every charged for when I am available to care for children. Regardless of the terms of the NCMA contract, which I do use, I think charging for bank holidays is cheeky if you're not prepared to work them and doesn't help your relationship with the parents.

I know some people charge for their own holidays and maybe, if parents are agreeing to that, bank holidays could be included in the childminder's limited number of paid holiday days but that's as far as it should go and it should all be explained very clearly to the parents at the beginning of the relationship.

redundant Thu 28-Mar-13 22:21:24

it just sours the relationship, but hey ho

doughnut44 Thu 28-Mar-13 22:35:29

I think people need to realise that most self employed people have high enough hourly rates to cover the time they don't work. Look how much a plumber, accountant or physio charge. It's all included in the price that you pay anyway.
I have only just started minding on a Monday (I had another job until October) and up until now I have never had a problem. I even have had parents pay me for over Xmas without me asking for it. I have decided that I will not charge new parents for bank holidays but I will increase the daily rate to ensure that I am well covered for those days. Hey ho - I will probably actually make more money that way.

Tanith Thu 28-Mar-13 22:40:03

Most s/e people will have factored bank holidays etc. into their rates. When I worked as a contractor, I was advised to do this.

A childminder is in the somewhat unique position of working for a number of clients simultaneously. Would you consider it fair if your contracted days were not on bank holidays yet you were forced to pay for someone else's bank holiday through an enhanced rate? What about term-time only contracts?

It seems that the decision of whether or not to charge for bank holidays will always be controversial. Some charge; others don't. It's not cheeky or unfair so long as it's stated in the contract and you choose the childminder that best matches your needs.

If you objected so strongly, then why on earth did you sign up to it? confused

nokidshere Thu 28-Mar-13 23:36:00

Obviously people need to read their contracts more carefully.

I charge for bank holidays and, although I would work if asked I have never been asked to work them so far and I've been minding for 13 years!

chickensaladagain Thu 28-Mar-13 23:41:28

When I was minding, I used to charge for bank holidays because I was available to work them and as I live near a large shopping centre and lots of my parents worked in retail, I was often busier than normal

If I didn't want to work bank hols I wouldn't have charged, I didn't charge for my holidays either

SellotapeInMyHairExtensions Thu 28-Mar-13 23:45:00

My CM and I came to an agreement that I wouldn't pay for BH if she doesn't work them, I don't get paid extra if I work them and if I don't work them I usually have to move my days around and work a different day to make it up. Annual leave only stretches so far when you have to take time off for sick DC or school holidays.

Maybe you could speak to your CM?

redundant Fri 29-Mar-13 08:08:18

I know of no other self employed profession on this earth where you charge clients for work that you are not prepared to do.

Completely different thing if you want to charge more for your services to factor in being able to afford to take some time off, as well as all the usual overheads that go with being selfemployed - that's perfectly acceptable.

I just don't think it's a helpful way to build a relationship with your clients. Seems basic commonsense to me.

But yes, absolutely my fault for not reading the contract properly.
Anyway, not to worry, we'll discuss it, just wondered if it was commonplace.

Tanith Fri 29-Mar-13 08:58:04

As I pointed out, most of those s/e professions work for a single client at a time. It's not easy to charge in a way that is fair to them all if you work for multiple clients at a time.
I care for several teachers' children. They miss nearly all the bank holidays because they're in holiday periods and their contracts are term-time only. They'd be pretty annoyed if I increased my hourly rate to cover a bank holiday they don't even benefit from.

You really have no excuse for complaint if it's in your contract and you signed up to it.
I hope you are more professional in your own business dealings! Have you read your contract(s) with your own client(s) properly?

Llareggub Fri 29-Mar-13 09:01:15

The right to time off is part of health and safety legislation. Personally, I would prefer a CM who gets regular time off and if this means paying for BHs then this is fine by me.

Can you imagine how frazzled a CM would be if she didn't take any holidays because she couldn't afford to do so?

Fightlikeagirl Fri 29-Mar-13 10:26:04

That's very true Llareggub many cm's I know can't afford to have time off which is sad, I'm lucky that I can save to cover mine.
I don't charge for bank holidays but I actually think the parents I mind for would pay me if I couldn't afford to take this unpaid as I don't feel it's the same kind of relationship you have with other se people such as plumbers etc, its a personal relationship built on trust and mutual respect.
And if something is written in a contract and signed and agreed then I don't see how that 'sours' a relationship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now