This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny overpaid. now what?

(15 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Thu 28-Mar-13 20:19:08

its both your faults, you should know how many days you have worked and therefore what salary you would have got that month

i always check my salary has gone it and for the right amount - esp as i temp

hope gets sorted smile

having 3 days less salary this month will be tough - minus the pathetic amount you get for ssp - think its £17.17 a day or something like that

nannynick Thu 28-Mar-13 16:24:20

Agree a repayment schedule, such as if you were overpaid by 12 hours, 6 hours from the next payroll run, then 6 hours from the one following that.
Is this March payroll run? If so then new tax year starts April 6th, so your personal tax allowance goes up, so you may find with the tax change that you would not miss as much take home pay as you would expect if the entire day is deducted from the end April payroll run. Have a play with MrAnchovy's PAYE calculator to see what the change in personal tax allowance would make to your typical monthly pay.

When doing variable monthly hours you do need to keep an eye on what hours are being done and what hours are being paid.

wickedwitchofwaterloo Thu 28-Mar-13 16:16:10

Are you sure it's not a random rebate? For the last 3 months I've been getting an extra bit of money that is a rebate, nothing to do with my hours worked but my employer has to pay it and then claim it back at the end of the tax year (that's my understanding anyway...)

LadyHarrietdeSpook Thu 28-Mar-13 15:50:24

Are you sure there hasn't been some sort of issue with nanny tax people? Like a change I'm personnel there to a couple people who are less competent?

LadyHarrietdeSpook Thu 28-Mar-13 15:48:52

So I can see why it's annoying.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Thu 28-Mar-13 15:48:31

Well if it were me and I am v employer sympathetic I think I would have let it go... And write it off as my mistake ESP if they are ssp-ing you. If I'd paid you on full fir sick days i may gave queried it...Hmmm...

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 28-Mar-13 15:39:27

I agree with hellhas. Being 'by the book' doesn't mean they can't take half this month and half next month.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 28-Mar-13 15:34:09

You will have to repay but you can negotiate a repayment term that does not leave you short. It does not have to be paid back as a lump sum out of next months salary.

drinkyourmilk Thu 28-Mar-13 15:27:26

Everything is by the book. So they wouldn't do half and half.
Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier I understand I've been paid in full. I know they are entitled to their money back. I will save a little less this month and it will be fine.
It's more that I'm the one left dealing with the mistake.

I do take it for granted that I will be paid correctly, and don't check the amount that comes in. I have learnt from this and will check in future!

drinkyourmilk Thu 28-Mar-13 15:20:19

And yes. I will be checking payslips properly in future! [Smile], including last months to work out if its true.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 28-Mar-13 15:19:45

If you worked out how many days you'd done and overtime in order to tell him, you should have known what you were owed. When they paid you over this, you should have queried it. He would have realised his mistake and you could have given the money back. If you don't now have the money to pay back then yes, it should come out of your pay this month.

If things are going to be very tight, maybe ask them to take half this month and half next month?

drinkyourmilk Thu 28-Mar-13 15:17:42

I am not paid cih.
Everything's done by nannytax.

Gigondas Thu 28-Mar-13 15:13:30

Well yes I would imagine you wither repay the extra or it is taken out of this months pay.

But when you sit down to discuss this, put it in context of wanting proper pay arrangements under Paye with a payslip etc rather than moaning about losing cash you thought you had. Also I would double check all payslips now if there is an issue

drinkyourmilk Thu 28-Mar-13 15:10:58

Problem is I do see that regardless of when it was, I have been paid for the month in full. However I wasn't expecting a days less pay and as I've had two sick days (only ssp) its going to be a tight month.
It just grates that I have to deal with the consequences of his mistake.

drinkyourmilk Thu 28-Mar-13 15:07:25

My employer has just informed me that I was overpaid 1 day last month. I' didn't notice as I tell him how many days and my overtime owed. He obviously checks (as he should) but miscalculated.
I'm irritated by lots of payment issues with this family and this one is tipping me over the edge.
Obviously I need to have a chat (and I'm very English about money sob) about my other niggles.

With regards to this issue, do I have to.accept one less days payment this month?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now