This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's - do you use computer based system for development records etc?

(19 Posts)
Goldmandra Sat 30-Mar-13 17:17:55

wink

Tanith Sat 30-Mar-13 16:38:07

< I'll whisper very quietly then >

Goldmandra Sat 30-Mar-13 14:45:24

Careful! We don't want to kick all that off again! shock

Tanith Sat 30-Mar-13 14:30:55

Agree with Goldmandra - it's the security that poses a real problem. The last time he was on here, I asked the owner of Babysdays if his staff were CRB checked and how he dealt with security.
He refused to answer my questions and was very defensive and rude.

That gave me all the answers I needed wink

NoHank Sat 30-Mar-13 12:30:44

The nursery attached to my DS's school also use Orbit to record the obs etc on their children and they have recently been graded outstanding so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me!

I think it is a personal choice what people use. I don't use an online system as I feel it is something Ofsted will look for or prefer. I use it because I find it easy to navigate and much quicker for recording and uploading pictures etc. and parents can see at a glance my photo's without me having to print them off on a regular basis. Likewise I have friends who much prefer paper based systems and are happy to stick with them. Horses for courses smile

Fightlikeagirl Sat 30-Mar-13 11:25:20

Had not thought of it like that gold, scary thought!
Think will stick with what I do and stop comparing myself to others.
Thanks everyone for your replies smile

Goldmandra Fri 29-Mar-13 21:42:39

Goldmandra - you should be password protecting your PC so only you can access the photos/files, deleting images on your phone, deleting images once a child leaves your care, registering with ICO.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. There's no issue with the information on my PC being safe.

Some of these online systems store the information you upload on their own servers. That information is sensitive and you need to show that you've checked out who runs the company and how safe the information stored remotely is.

Anyone, with any sort of record, could set up a company offering an online record-keeping service and have access to images and personal details of dozens of children. The lady from Ofsted said it was up to me to ensure that any organisation I used was storing the information ethically and securely.

After the Sparklebox fiasco that was enough to put me off!

lechatnoir Fri 29-Mar-13 21:34:43

Goldmandra - you should be password protecting your PC so only you can access the photos/files, deleting images on your phone, deleting images once a child leaves your care, registering with ICO.

Goldmandra Fri 29-Mar-13 21:08:11

Ofsted most certainly don't expect anyone to be using this sort of system. Paperwork recording is perfectly fine and I know two CMs who have just got outstanding using fairly minimal paperwork and nothing online.

When I asked I was told I needed to be able to show how I knew that the information was being stored securely if it was not on my own PC and by people who had been CRB checked. I don't know how you go about doing that.

I think some people like the structure the systems gove them, especially if they're setting up and the paperwork feels like a mammoth task but if you've got an effective system in place already you don't need to change.

wednesdaygirl Fri 29-Mar-13 18:00:03

I use babydays, not bothered if it crashes and lose everything as parents read it everyday anyway and i save all photos i take

I do the learning jorneys for parents not ofsted

HSMMaCM Fri 29-Mar-13 17:39:32

I just use word and excel and design it how I like.

lechatnoir Thu 28-Mar-13 23:49:55

Oh & orbit is free & you can save everything as a PDF which I do at least once a month so if it all goes belly up I have my historic records wink

lechatnoir Thu 28-Mar-13 23:48:50

I use orbit for my obs and got a good at my first grading inspection last week so my Ofsted lady was clearly happy grin. I like the quick & easy iPhone upload for photos when I put a brief observation or note and then just log onto the computer a couple of times a month to write it up in full, link to the relevant area(s) of learning & any next steps.

Fightlikeagirl Thu 28-Mar-13 17:32:30

Thank you for your replies, all my friends speak highly of the systems too but I don't fancy fighting my husband to have a turn on the computer every night!

Fightlikeagirl Thu 28-Mar-13 17:30:24

Yes boys have heard about why! I wasn't singling out just that company, is just the one that my friends use.

I actually feel pretty confident in how I do the eyfs but you know when a group of you get together and start discussing things, you have those moments when you think am I doing this right?! But I will go back to having confidence in my abilities, thanks smile

NoHank Thu 28-Mar-13 16:31:29

I use orbit.so. I really like it and so do the parents of my mindees especially the albums. I upload a couple of pictues daily so they can log in any time and see exactly what their children have been doing.

I've only started using it since my last inspection though so no idea what Ofsted make of it.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 28-Mar-13 16:28:37

I use baby days, I'm still backdating learning journals but you don't have to. I especially liked the medication and accident reports rather than having bits of paper.

I would be very VERY reluctant to use any online storage system, because of the NobleMinder fiasco last summer, when an online storage system provider went bust and folk lost info irretrievably, which was a bummer.

Ofsted don't expect you to use any system in particular; online, or paper based, you need to be able to show that you are operating EYFS

(I'm not commenting on Baby Days specifically, old timers on here will know why, lol)

Fightlikeagirl Thu 28-Mar-13 12:16:49

Can I ask you wonderful childminders out there whether you use Baby Days system or equivalent?
I do my Learning Journeys, diaries etc all by hand but from talking to some of my cm friends most of them use a computer based system.
I am happy doing what I am doing but just wanted to know do Ofsted expect us to be using this kind of system?
Has anyone had recent inspection and used their own paperwork?
Thank you for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now