This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Bank holidays

(27 Posts)
Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 05:39:08

I've always charged time and a half on bank holidays if I work it and normal price if I don't. My parents have always stayed with their children and I've been payed as normal. This morning one of my parents have said they need to send their child on Friday for a couple of hours as he has 'a few things to do' hmm
I normally charge £40 per day as I have him from 5.30am, should I go ahead and charge £60 (time and a half) or is that too much because
A) I've only just been told and was looking forward to the bank holiday off.
B) I know that his dads not in work (mum told me) and feel he wants a few hours to himself.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 29-Mar-13 17:33:16

Yy - say you can have him for the full day at time and a half as per your contract, or not at all. They are paying £40 anyway so it's only an extra £20, not an extra £60.

lechatnoir Thu 28-Mar-13 23:39:52

If they won't pay the contracted rate (ie 1.5x) for bank holiday then please don't take them. Do it this once & you'll find yourself doing it every bank holiday. And I'd seriously think about changing the terms of your contract if you charge the same rate before 7:30am. She changed the hours now you need to get your business head on and charge accordingly. If she values you that much (& with no one else willing to work this early I'd be surprised if she doesn't) then she much appreciate 5:30am is out of hours & should be charged as such.

awwwwmannnn Thu 28-Mar-13 20:34:33

i speak as a parent whose DD is with a childminder, rather than a childminder.

with regards to bank holidays, i work part-time, and therefore so does childminder. i pay her for bank holidays but on a half-rate basis, same for the 2 weeks off over Christmas, effectively she is off for 2 weeks but only pay her for 1. i think this is fair as i get paid for bank holidays so why shouldn't she!! i did consider asking for bank holidays on a pro-rata basis but then when thinking about we pay a lower daily rate than some of the parents (mates rates) so it all kind of evens out in the end.

with regards to the 5.30am start, i cannot believe how selfish that woman is making her child get up stupid early so she can go to work, as important as my job is to me, it is not more important than my child's wellbeing. talk about putting yourselves first and your child further down the list.

i am so annoyed on yours and that poor child's behalf...gggrrrrr
(apologies as i know i am being just ever so slightly judgmental here)

x

DIYapprentice Wed 27-Mar-13 17:21:18

doughnut - I think the biggest problem about charging for bank holidays is if you have children that only come in on a few days. My DC used to go to the CM on a Monday and I felt I was being unfairly penalised with bank holidays, as most of them fell on a Monday - so the CM and I worked it out on a pro-rata basis.

Working out the rate and including it in your hourly/daily rate means that the cost of the bank holiday is evened out over ALL your mindees rather than just a few, a much fairer system.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 27-Mar-13 13:20:19

They don't want to pay, he doesn't come to you. Simple as. OP in the nicest way you need to grow a backbone here or they will trample all over you.

doughnut44 Wed 27-Mar-13 12:09:50

I think that after reading so many parents being unhappy about paying for bank holidays I am going to stop charging for them. However I am going to increase my daily rate so that the amount I am losing for those days will be covered.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 27-Mar-13 09:53:40

I a self employed and on the past in a previous jo have often worked bank holidays.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to give extra notice if the contract said you are available. In fact if I had to pay anyway regardless of whether my child went or not I'd be making damn sure they went unless u was going on holiday as if I don't work I don't get paid.

If you are routinely not available on bank holidays you need to make it clear you are closed on those days and not charge.

Fightlikeagirl Wed 27-Mar-13 09:40:53

Don't let them bring him then if they are not prepared to pay the extra. As long as that is what your contract says then that is your right.
You sound just like me when I first started out minding, I used to bend over backwards to help the parents even if it really inconvenienced me, you become close with mindees and their families and its only natural to want to help out as much as you can.
But after a while I realised I needed to toughen up if it was going to work long term. I had to remind myself that I was running a business. I have now been minding for 8 years and I'm still not quite there yet, still let parents get away with being late (really late sometimes!) and I am a bit soft with being paid on time but I have toughened up on other areas.
Put your foot down on this one and stick with contract terms. No extra payment then no childcare for that day. smile

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 09:28:02

I don't mind having him the whole day, I'm doing activities with my own children anyway, they just don't want to pay.

HSMMaCM Wed 27-Mar-13 08:27:27

Just remember if you charge for the whole day, you might end up having the child for the whole day.

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 27-Mar-13 07:54:12

You've let them take the piss with you generally and you need to toughen up if you don't want to run your life to their preferences. Very few people would cancel holidays or start at 5.30 in this scenario and if they don't have anyone else that isn't your problem.

However this bank holiday issue is different. If you have said you are available at 1.5 rate in your contract then provided they pay it, you have to do it. But do not do it at the normal rate. I would make clear that you will only have the child on payment if the full fee and not the normal rate. You could say you would prefer not to take him but your terms don't help and I would consider amending them to take the option away from the parents. You could say instead that bank hols MAY be available at your discretion and the charge would be 1.5 times normal.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Mar-13 07:39:19

1) I can't believe you cancelled your and your kids holiday - tbh not your problem if her leave gets cancelled

2) the mum is doing emotional blackmail saying she won't have a job etc - she has gp's who refuse to start 5.30am but you do

3) I hope you charge double if not triple time from 5.30/7.30am - but sounds not if charge £40per day

4) if your contract states time and a half for bank hols then charge that to the family - if they don't want to pay it then refuse to look after child

5) the sickness incident would severely piss me off

Why do you continue to have this child?

leeloo1 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:29:24

£40 per day, per day

(Think if I had to start at 5.30am I would be charging £40ph!)

leeloo1 Wed 27-Mar-13 07:28:05

Ugh, poor you! Awful when you feel parents are messing you around. So are you still starting at 5.30am with the poor child? That sounds awful. sad

Is there anything in your contracts about how much notice you need to work BHs/take holidays that'd help you out here? Also is there an hourly rate in your contracts?

If there's no alternative I'd text/email the parents (so you have a paper trail) and say 'Thanks for letting me know you need me to have X on Friday. Please could you let me know exactly what hours you need asap so I can plan for the day. Please note that these hours will be at a charge of Y* per hour.'

*Y = your hourly rate x 1.5, or £40 /10 x 1.5 - so £6?

ps please tell me if child is starting at 5.30am you aren't still just charging £40 ph for this? Think if so you may want to give notice or renegotiate contracts... I can't believe you cancelled your holidays for them either! shock

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 27-Mar-13 07:18:24

I would definitely charge but you need to toughen up in the nicest way, I definitely would never cancel my holidays especially when you tell them early in the year, and I would maybe introduce a policy if letting you know about bank holidays 4 weeks before or something, what if you'd booked to go away?

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 06:48:05

And Mutley too smile my phones being a bit rubbish! I have to go now, Easter bonnets to make and eggs to hide in the snow doncha know wink
Thank you for your kind reply's, it means a lot.

noviceoftheday Wed 27-Mar-13 06:44:55

Crazycake, I understand where you're coming from now! I am sorry for being so cross in first post, I can see exactly why you're proposing what you said. They sound like a nightmare! Charge away grin. I do mean this in the nicest way....learn to say NO. People like this will keep taking and taking if they think you're a pushover. Good luck.

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 06:43:46

Thank you flight smile

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 06:41:50

When I first started childminding, I did som research and found out all local childminders charge but will not have a child on bank holidays (same as nurserys) so I decided when taking on my first child that I would if needed to but would charge time and a half. My main problem is that although they want to send child X they only want to pay normal rate. Contract states that I am available all bank holidays except Xmas day at a rate of time and a half.

Fightlikeagirl Wed 27-Mar-13 06:39:36

Totally cross posted with your second post!
Ignore me, you sound totally wonderful and very accomadating to this family's needs.
I would say you're not available for future bank holidays though, and book some time off, your family life and well being is important too!

Fightlikeagirl Wed 27-Mar-13 06:34:46

I kind of get what you're saying, you wouldn't mind working if the parents are desperate but it sounds like they're not. But I do think it's a risk you take when you charge for bank holidays and say you're available.
What does your contract say?
Does it state that you are available for all bank holidays?
I know some cm's charge normal rate but are not available to work.
I personally do not charge and would never be available to work under any circumstance but I make parents aware of this at the beginning and have never had any problems.
If your contract says you are available and doesn't state any notice they have to give then I would say you have to work and charge according to contract but maybe amend it and get parents to agree for future bank holidays.

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 06:34:20

Sorry for the typos, I'm on my phone.

Mutley77 Wed 27-Mar-13 06:34:14

noviceoftheday I think the op feels bad charging time and half because the dad is not working that day rather than casting any judgement on what he's doing.

crazycake - if these are your terms I would stick to them and charge the time and half. I think you are v generous to agree to work on a bank holiday and the dad has a great opportunity for some time out, therefore will probably be happy to pay for it.

Crazycake Wed 27-Mar-13 06:32:06

You're right novice, B has nothing to do with me and as soon as I'd said it out loud I realised how selfish it sounds however there is a backstory.

I've had child X for 14 months (first mindee). I give my holiday list in January (usually 2 weeks and a couple of days dotted around). I so this so parents, if they want to, can plan holidays around me and don't have to pay. Last summer I had to cancel my holiday plans 2 weeks before because mum of child X had had her leave cancelled and had nobody to have him, I gave in and my children were really upset as we'd planned to stay with family in Wales.

Only a few weeks ago they sent child X without telling me he'd been vomiting all night, que my children and other mindee's getting the bug.

When I started looking after child X I had him from 7.30 am. a couple of months ago, mums job changed so she asked me if I could have him from 5.30am, initially I said no as I work until 6.30 pm but there was nobody else that could do it, all local childminders said no and so did grandparents of X. I said I would try for a month and then see how we go. After a month had gone by, after already mentioning it a few times I told her it wasn't in the best interests of the child, his personality has completely changed and he's tired all the time. She said it would be worst for him if I couldn't because mum would have no job and where would that leave the child??
I get paid normal pay if they don't come on a bank holiday so if I charged extra hours on top it would still be quite a lot. For the record, between mum and dad they have a couple of midweek days off and it NEVER bothers me, child X is like on of the family. I suppose I'm tired and grumpy and need a break (apart from Xmas day and New Year's Day it's been about 9months since I've had any time off). This is something I would never have moaned about to parents which is why I posted it on here to get some perspective.

noviceoftheday Wed 27-Mar-13 06:02:08

Really? What has B got to do with you? hmm. It's none of your damn business what the dad is doing, and I cannot believe that you effectively plan to financially punish them because you are being judgmental. shock I would be livid if you tried to pull a stunt like that on me and trust would be damaged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now