This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's and anyone else, advice needed re 7 seaters

(21 Posts)
NoHank Sat 23-Mar-13 09:51:36

I'm thinking of buying a 7 seater in the next few months after realising that I have been turning down work simply because I couldn't fit all the children into the car. I have 2 of my own plus 2 that I pick up after school which leaves me with no more room in my current car.

Firstly does anyone have any recommendations for 7 seaters. I know nothing about cars if I'm honest but I do want something with a reasonably low fuel consumption. Also, DH seems to think our insurance will go through the roof. Does anyone know if this will be the case?

Finally, although the car will be a family car and not used solely for childminding purposes, the only reason we are buying a 7 seater is because I childmind. If I didn't, we wouldn't. So I am wondering if any part of the purchase or insurance can be claimed back on my expenses? Or am I just being a cheeky bugger grin Thanks everyone

no I don't think you can claim any back as it's not solely used for minding grin

think of the configuration you will need - three full seatbelts in the middle row v two plus a lapstrap; how about needing an aisle in the back row to insert children through the boot rather than having to remove car seats to fold down middle row chairs.

I've had a galaxy, which was fine, small boot though, had to get a petite double pushchair. Currently a C 8 - diesel- v economical and roomy interior but quite £££ to buy.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 23-Mar-13 10:52:45

I've got a galaxy and love it, insurance was the same as for our other 5 seater that we got rid of.

I can get a single and double in the boot and have just bought a baby jogger city select and that fits.

You should be able to put a percentage of your insurance through but someone else will confirm or look on the Hmrc website to check.

NoHank Sat 23-Mar-13 11:44:48

Thank you very much. Good to hear about the insurance as that was the thing holding dh back i think.

What price could I be looking at for second hand? We currently have a rover 75 that we would part ex. I don't really want to have to pay out any more money. because I don't have any

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 23-Mar-13 11:59:03

No idea, my 57 reg was valued at £5500 ish a few months ago but no idea what they sell for, our local ford garage rarely gets them in as they say once families buy them they just keep them.

bigpaws Sat 23-Mar-13 12:59:44

I have a Chrysler Voyager. Love it!! T has 3 seats in the back and 2 seats in the middle. Wasn't sure how I would get on with that seating arrangement as my previous car had 2 in the back and 3 in the middle.

The Chrysler arrangement is working really well. I have to put the harness type seats in the back though as I need the middle seats to flip forward for access.

I am finding the ultimate advantage of this - at a weekend, I don't have to rearrange seats to accommodate our family day out etc. The Childminding seats are in the back out of the way, and it doesn't cause a bother.

Good luck and happy car hunting! wink

Megsdaughter Sat 23-Mar-13 13:17:58

I had a Mazda Bongo, it has 8 seats you can get both a single and double buggy in the boot as the same time, and its just brilliant smile

ifmamaainthappy Sat 23-Mar-13 13:30:49

All i can say is check out the car tax, i have a Kia sedona, It's the same body as a chrystler but cheaper to buy, i love it but £450 road tax a year is very steep!!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 24-Mar-13 09:25:22

I have a Zafira. It's fine if I don't have all seats filled and have to carry a double buggy but is a complete pita if the seats are full and I need to put anything other than a maclaren in the boot.

I have gone through a ridiculous number of buggies trying to find one that will fit in.

There is a lap-belt on the middle seat in the middle row which suits me better because that's where I put the baby seat and can still move the whole row forward to get the other children into the boot seats.

Mine cost £1600 last year for a reasonably low mileage 02 plate. Road tax was £250 for the year and my insurance was about £400 at renewal in January but I've only held a licence for two and a bit years.

NoHank Sun 24-Mar-13 10:36:18

Thank you hiccup, very helpful. I don't have a double buggy at the moment and never need more than 2 baby seats so I should find one that suits quite easily.

Good news about the insurance too

shesariver Sun 24-Mar-13 10:39:12

We have a Zafira that my DH uses as a child minder. Tiny boot when all seats are in use but back 2 fold down when not in use. He has a double buggy that fits in the boot though, cant remember what make it is so will ask him. The single buggy he uses that fits is the Petite Star zia.

surfandturf Sun 24-Mar-13 10:48:15

I have a Toyota previa - 8 seater. It's a 52 plate and I paid about 3k for it. I love it as I can fit double buggy and single in the boot. I also have baby seats in the back so the middle row can slide forward for access. The thing I love most about it is the space and also sliding back doors are a godsend. Most of the childminders I know have zafira's so I'm pretty sure they're an reasonably priced option.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 24-Mar-13 10:58:30

Yes, should have added, that I usually have at least one boot seat down when I don't need to use them both so can fit my double buggy in much more easily.

I have a P&T and it will fit in the boot when both seats are up but I have to take off all three wheels and get mindee to hold it from the inside while I close the boot...not ideal when it's pouring with rain or I'm in a rush!!

On the plus side, it was a great help when my sister moved house recently. I got loads of stuff in it for her when I folded all the seats away grin.

Shesariver - I'd be interested to know which double your dh uses. I had a maclaren triumph for a while and it was a massive squeeze. Although, the day I sold it and was packing it for a courier, I realised that without the hoods attached it was much more compact hmm. I've used a Quinny Zapp, which I believe is very similar to the petit star, but didn't get on well with it on longer walks. I suppose all buggies have their good and bad points but I'm constantly looking for one that will tick all boxes!

minderjinx Sun 24-Mar-13 20:20:12

I have a Sedona which is great but I will need 8 seats soon and am thinking about getting a Peugeot Expert Teepee. Anybody had one?

shesariver Mon 25-Mar-13 08:13:08

hiccup hes got a Safety First but its a real squeeze to and he doesnt think the back 2 seats clip in fully, so the one that fits (hes tried a friends) that hes going to get is City Jogger mini double. The wheel comes of the Petit star (single) which helps it go in.

Found the Zapp quite flimsy to.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 25-Mar-13 14:34:04

My friend has a BJCM double that she fits in her Zafira boot but there's a panel on the floor of the boot that she has removed so that it'll go in easily.

The BJCM are a bit pricey for me...they hold their value too well so are still quite a lot secondhand but I am a mega bargainhunter and really tight!!

nokidshere Mon 25-Mar-13 20:48:17

I have a Seat Alhambra (same as galaxy and sharan but cheaper) Its economical, comfortable and fits everyone + their bags and a buggy easily.

Its cheap to run, cheap to maintain and apart from minor electrical problems has served me well for nearly 14 years now!

onedev Mon 25-Mar-13 20:50:14

We have a Ford S Max & absolutely love it!

Bonkerz Mon 25-Mar-13 20:55:40

With regards putting cost through books. It gets difficult if you want a % through as you need to make sure you do it through an accountant really as it is about depreciation and sale price etc. I found it was more cost effective to claim 45p per mile used for childminding. I currently claim about £ 50-80 per month. Business insurance was included in my normal policy to and only about £40 a month for a fiat multipla

lechatnoir Mon 25-Mar-13 22:09:42

I have a VW Touran & really like it - I can fit a single buggy in with all the seats up & double with 1 up & it's pretty economical.

NoHank Tue 26-Mar-13 12:20:18

Too much choice! I more of a "can I have a blue one please" type!

Might have to get DH on the case. He likes looking for cars anyway. I'll get him to draw up a short list and then there are far fewer for me to choose between.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now