Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Poorly child

(170 Posts)
ifmamaainthappy Wed 20-Mar-13 13:49:09

Child is 14 months, has a cold, just generally not happy, contacted Mom to let her know, that she's not herself, Mom has told me she's got to much to do to collect her at the moment??? What do you do??? i can't just sit cuddling all day, have others to look after, ( i'm having a late lunch and 5 minutes right now!!)

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Mar-13 23:55:00

He's lovely - he was think 12 weeks when came to live with us. Barely reached up to my shin.

Now he's waist high

10.5stone of pure muscle

Thinks he's a lap dog - which he isn't lol

Tanith Wed 27-Mar-13 21:49:43

I want a Woofa!!! Sounds brilliant grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Mar-13 08:07:04

Blondesland had much more snow then tanithland [ grin]

No huskies sad but Woofa in old job loved pulling the kiddiewinks and I on sledges

Now that was fun ......

Mb also tied a sledge to him and he pulled their bread and milk home from the shops smile

Tanith Wed 27-Mar-13 07:48:33

Well that's just not good enough Blondes - haven't you heard of skis; husky teams?! grin
We never closed once wink

<tots up Brownie points>

ChippingInIsEggceptional Tue 26-Mar-13 22:32:40

I think it's unreasonable to expect a parent to pick up a child because they have 'a cold/are not themselves'. With a policy like that you'd never see some kids! hmm What's the point in having a carer for your child that isn't prepared to look after them when they're a bit under the weather?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Mar-13 22:21:08

Whoops. What did I start ......

Guess depends how ill your children are / if often sickly or under the weather then a nanny is probably the best option as then parents can still go to work and the Childcare (nanny) will look after them

Snow. I drove the first time and walked the last 1/2mile as family lives at bottom of slope and no way my car would have got up it - let alone me risk sliding down

Snow the other week / I tried to get to my night nanny job but couldn't get up the hill after 2 miles - but then again dad couldn't get home either for a few hours and mum was left alone to deal with children - but I tried smile

Tanith Tue 26-Mar-13 21:53:00

DIYApprentice: And I'm saying you're wrong smile

Nothing personal - certainly not taken personally - just pointing out that you need to take a much wider view if you are going to claim that a "form" of childcare is unreliable and expect to be taken seriously.

DIYapprentice Tue 26-Mar-13 21:24:10

Tanith- trust me, my DC were sick on a 'very regular basis'!!!!

DS2's ear and throat infections came around like clockwork every 3 weeks right through summer and winter.

I'm not saying CMs themselves are unreliable so please stop taking it so personally - I'm saying that as a ''form' of childcare they are less reliable than a nanny.

Both a nanny and a CM can be just as ill as each other (or more to the point are both rarely ill). BUT... if your DC are ill then usually the nanny will still be available to look after them (depending on what it is), and other children's illnesses don't impact on a nanny's care of your DC as they can at a CM's.

Tanith Tue 26-Mar-13 21:17:24

I'm reminded of the recent adverse weather conditions, when childminders have stayed open while school teachers, nursery staff and nannies have been unable to work.
Does that shove us up a notch in the reliability stakes, do you think? Or does it only count for sick children? grin

Tanith Tue 26-Mar-13 21:09:58

DIYApprentice: Then, by your own definition, "unreliable" is the wrong word to use since children are not sick "on a regular basis".

ReetPetit Tue 26-Mar-13 21:04:27

i don't think you can put childcare in order of reliability blondes! it's impossible to generalise like that.

as a chilminder i have had very few days off sick (actually can't remember the last one) and if I am away for any reason (i don't charge parents for my holidays or if for any reason i am unavailable) i try my upmost to arrange for another cm (known to child) to cover for me.

on the whole, i find cms to be very reliable. we have more than one family to consider and all the cms i know work like troopers to provide a reliable service!

Karoleann Tue 26-Mar-13 20:47:18

Did the original poster every come back and say if the child had a temperature? At the end of the day if the child did not have a temperature it was very unlikely to be anything serious.
Pyrexia is a consequence of an inflammation/infection in the body, its caused either by the innate immune system reaction to an pathogen or by a bacteria itself. It's very very unlikely unless the child has some immunity problem that there would be no temperature if it was a proper infection.
It's also a bit strange the OP said Mom rather than mum, maybe she's overseas?
Nannies are the only childcare that will look after sick children, but they get sick themselves.
I've been called in to nursery to pick up a sick child only to find they are fine and just teething,.....

blueberryupsidedown Tue 26-Mar-13 20:44:36

But if a child is ill, a nursery will call the parents to collect the child. If the baby is constantly crying, hardly sleeping, hardly taking in fluids because of a bad cold, then parents are required to look after the child. Childminder and nurseries have similar policies. If it's a bad cold and the child is clearly unwell, or if it's D-V, ior if the child has a high temperature, or if it's something very contageous such as chicken pox. I thought the policies were very similar in both nurseries and CMs. Am I wrong?

DIYapprentice Tue 26-Mar-13 20:42:04

Blondes - with a young child I would put a nanny above nurseries with reliability. Children frequently get sick, and you have to keep them at home. But nannies (good nannies, anyway) are less likely to get sick enough to need to stay at home - I'd be quite happy for a nanny to have a bit of a duvet day with the DC if he/she were under the weather!

Tanith - And we're talking about reliability from a parent's point of view, as a parent the reason I have childcare is to enable me to work - so any childcare that prevents me from getting to work on a regular basis is 'unreliable'. You seen to be taking the 'unreliability' as a personal insult - when it is just a factual event.

I have had all 3 forms of childcare, nanny (1), nursery (2 - 1 day and 1 community) and CM, (2 different CMs, both with their own DC).

Nanny was by far the most reliable.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Mar-13 20:33:49

im not having a go at those who use or provide childcare

just saying what i thought in terms of flexibility/reliability - sure mn allows that .........

and as a nanny i didnt say nannies were best - i actually put nurseries at the top - but as i said i didnt know they shut - tho if they did its rare, but then again its rare a nanny is off (no sick days from me the past 5 + years) but also rare that a cm couldnt have your child as theirs was sick

as i said all have flaws smile

Tanith Tue 26-Mar-13 20:32:40

Flu epidemic, Blondes. I know because the parents were desperately ringing round trying to find alternative care.

IrisGirl Tue 26-Mar-13 20:28:44

i think any method of childcare apart from you looking after your own child can have flaws...CM/nannies/nurseries they all provide a service and sometimes services get hit with illnesses or whatever!!

my DD goes to a childminder 4 days a week and she is the most wonderful woman ever, she really is a godsend. she provides loads of activities for the little ones, takes them out very regularly and is loving and caring and i trust her 150% with the most precious thing in my life.

please stop having a go at those who provide the care for children, whatever institution it may be....none of us working mums would manage without them and we have a lot to thank them for.

i had a row with my boss in work today, shit happens, get over it and move on, it doesn't mean me or him are bad at our jobs or doing something wrong it was just one of those things!!

i think everyone here has made their point and should now leave it at that

happy days people xxx

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Mar-13 20:21:56

what illness would make a nursery shut? i didnt reliese they did iyswim

serious question - not a bashing one smile

Fightlikeagirl Tue 26-Mar-13 19:52:09

Totally agree with you Tanith

Tanith Tue 26-Mar-13 19:08:24

Nurseries do get ill. I've known them to close either partially or fully during epidemics.
Using a term like "unreliable" to comment on one aspect of the care - a child's sickness - is ridiculous and provocative.

Personally, I think minderjinx is spot on when she says this thread has more to do with attracting potential clients than with the sick child.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Mar-13 18:26:22

op never did come back and comment/update us ......

but as mrs cupcake said, she managed to post on mumsnet a few times with a very poorly child ........

just saying wink

nurseries dont get ill (as so many staff), but if your child does get ill they wont accept them and you need to find childcare/have day off work

cm may run the risk of themselves or their children being ill so cant have yours and you need to find childcare/have day off work, and wont have sick children

nannies may get ill and you may need to find childcare/have day off work, but they will look after sick children

so all 3 childcare settings theres a flaw grin tho in order of reliability i would say

nurseries
nannys
cm

<blondes runs for cover>

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 26-Mar-13 16:09:44

'Ah, yes, but I didn't say I would be home, just that DS would be home!!!'

grin true!!

DIYapprentice Tue 26-Mar-13 15:43:03

Ah, yes, but I didn't say I would be home, just that DS would be home!!! grin

And yes, I know that a nanny would be expected to deal with these type of illnesses - which is why I'm planning to get a nanny as soon as I can afford it.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 26-Mar-13 12:42:27

'obviously that would have meant being home no matter what form of childcare I used'

Don't want to start it all off again, but just FYI a nanny would deal with chicken pox. 3 of my 4 charges have had it while I've been here and neither parent has had to take a day off. I know some parents would want to be at home with them anyway, but my employers don't have the sort of jobs where you can take that sort of time off.

DIYapprentice Tue 26-Mar-13 12:08:40

I find this really tricky - when I used a CM I was an hour away by train, plus time for the next train. If my DS was feeling poorly, it would have been difficult to get there quickly. DH would sometimes be around, often travelled though. (And no family closer than a 24 hour flight away, which rather defeats the purpose wink)

And yes, using a CM can be an unreliable form of childcare, especially if they have DC. My last CM had the DSs one day a week, term time only. We missed 3 weeks in a 2 month period because her DD's had Chicken Pox, another 1 the next month because my DS had Chicken Pox (obviously that would have meant being home no matter what form of childcare I used), then a couple more days of no childcare because her DDs had D&V the following month.

To have been asked to keep my DSs at home after all of that because they had a cold would have left me feeling like throwing my hands up in despair.

I suppose, though, my CM's have never had a really large number of children because they had their own DC, so their allowed numbers were always lower, and often they didn't want to be at their maximum allowed number during the day.

So if the DC had a quieter day because either her, my or the other family's DCs were feeling a little under the weather it was fine by all of us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now