Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM - leaving mindee at birthday party

(9 Posts)
ZuleikaD Sun 17-Mar-13 06:12:58

I would get written and signed permission (or an email). Definitely establish who will be on call during the party and who will be picking her up (presumably you'll be going back to pick up your DD anyway).

Runoutofideas Sat 16-Mar-13 17:13:45

I don't do any other drop offs - the little ones I have stay with me all day, so I don't have a policy for this kind of thing. I'm thinking of getting the mum to sign something along the lines of "I will drop x at the party at y time. At this point my responsibility for her ends. When I drop her I will ensure that the birthday party parents have your phone number in case of emergency". Do you think this is fair even though the mum has paid me for her normal finish time which is halfway through the party?

FlorenceMattell Sat 16-Mar-13 16:51:34

Do you have a policy for children you drop off at preschools, school, or nursery?
I would think your responsibility would be similar.
In that you would not be directly responsible for the children’s care as not on site; but would still be on call in an emergency.
For example if the child becomes ill, will you collect her?
Will the party host have your contact number of her mother's ?

Runoutofideas Sat 16-Mar-13 14:05:06

Thanks all - parent is very happy for me to leave her there, i just need to get it in writing from her that my responsibility finishes when i drop her off then. Thanks

doughnut44 Sat 16-Mar-13 09:31:21

Def get permission I writing. If parent wats you to stay but you can't then don't take the child to the party

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Mar-13 18:59:51

If it were my child I'd be happy for you to do that, but given all the bloody rules and regulations I suggest you get permission - preferably written in triplicate

I hope they have a lovely time smile

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Fri 15-Mar-13 18:59:33

I would get the parent to assume responsibility from start of party, written and signed.

If you are actually responsible for her I think you need to stay.

chickensaladagain Fri 15-Mar-13 18:56:30

I would ask parent's permission to leave them there

Runoutofideas Fri 15-Mar-13 18:55:06

Hi,
My dd2 and her friend (mindee aged 6) have been invited to a birthday party at a time when I should be looking after mindee. I've said I'm happy to drop them off at the party together, then I had a panic about responsibility should something happen at the party and she's strictly speaking in my care. Should I just get written permission from the mum to leave her there, or would you wait and supervise until the end of contracted hours? The party runs over when she would normally have been picked up. I don't want to stay at the party as I will have 3 other children to look after at the same time. My dd and mindee are very keen to go. What would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now