Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Chicken pox

(17 Posts)
dikkertjedap Sat 16-Mar-13 13:18:35

Of course you need to tell her hmm. She may be pregnant, she may be on steroids for asthma or something else, she may care for immuno suppressed kids the other days of the week. Lots of reasons.

andrea29 Sat 16-Mar-13 10:27:11

I am a nanny and never had chicken pox, so hell yes I would expect to be told that my charge has got chicken pox!!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 16-Mar-13 10:00:21

Many people don't say anything till after their 12 week scan and legally don't think you need to say anything till 20ish weeks / if you can hide bump and throwing up that long

insancerre Sat 16-Mar-13 08:11:04

I would tell her to go home and phone her midwife for advice
I would also tell her that she should have let her employer know as soon as she found out she was pregnant then everyone is aware of the situation and you don't get situations arising like turning up for work to a house infected with chickenpox

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Mar-13 22:45:15

sounds like op is the nanny, and im assuming that her mb didnt let her go

saying that cp is also very infectious before the spots actually come out, so possibly the nanny would have been exposed anyway

has the nanny (if op) had cp, if you have then you and baby should be ok x

ReetPetit Fri 15-Mar-13 21:46:45

are you the nanny Xiou?

If so, I hope your employer 'allowed' you to go home....

If you are the employer likewise....

Xiou Fri 15-Mar-13 21:14:02

What if you don't tell her as you didn't think you needs to and when the nanny turns up, you tell her.

What if the nanny says she is 9 weeks pregnant.

Would you tell her to go home or ask her to stay as you've got things you need to do

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 15-Mar-13 21:07:58

It would be nice to tell your nanny that dc has cp

Unless pregnant and if she is then likely she has already had it so immune so no reason why she shouldn't go to to work

Saying that a sick child is more likely to want their mum

But employing a nanny means they will and should look after ill children

Karoleann Fri 15-Mar-13 18:57:22

Yes, I would certainly text her the day before (I did this with two previous nannies), they were both fine with it and came in anyway, as they'd both had chicken pox.

I am a SAHM.

Reet - I don't know why you are so against women having nannies when they stay at home. I've had one since having DC2 2 days a weeks. I meant that i could have two half days with one child, two afterschool with the other and about 2 hours for 2 days just to get stuff done. I think its really important to have a bit of quality time with each child individually.

DH works very long hours, usually 6-7/8 and sometime at the weekends too. But he earns lots of money, which means paying for someone to help isn't a problem at all. I have no relatives nearby to help either.

No its not essential, but then lots of things we do to make our lives easier aren't.

I don't have someone at the moment apart from school holidays and the boys really miss having their time with me.

Reinette Fri 15-Mar-13 17:16:05

Chicken pox can be very, very serious for adults who've never had it - you absolutely should tell her before she arrives! Additionally, because she's a PT nanny, she really should be informed ahead of time about any serious infectious diseases at your home.

narmada Fri 15-Mar-13 16:44:02

Yes, you need to tell her: if she has never had chickenpox = bad. If she has never had chickenpox and happened to be pregnant = worse. If she was immunocompromised for some reason..... worst.

You need to tell her. Also, she mightn't be up for looking after a sick child.

ReetPetit Fri 15-Mar-13 16:32:05

maybe GoAndAskDaddy - but I doubt it wink

GoAndAskDaddy Fri 15-Mar-13 16:11:49

Perhaps they are disabled like me ReetPetit. I am a SAHM due to illness & have a full time Nanny out of necessity. Why do you presume to know everyone's circumstances?
I would let her know about Ch Pox....most adults have immunity. I'm almost certain my Nanny would still come, but her call.

ReetPetit Fri 15-Mar-13 14:17:12

why would a nanny be looking after a sick, contagious child anyway when mum is a stay at home mum??? hmm

ReetPetit Fri 15-Mar-13 14:16:04

god yes, tell her! just out of common courtesy really...
if someone was coming to my home and my dc had chicken pox, i would tell them. She could be pregnant and never had it before for all you know!

dontwanttobefatandforty Fri 15-Mar-13 13:21:17

I would tell her before she comes, there may be a reason she will be unable to work due to it.

Xiou Fri 15-Mar-13 13:18:29

If you are a stay at home mum and your 2year old has chickenpox, would you tell your 2day a week nanny before she turns up for work or would you tell her when she turns up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now