This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Could someone give me advice on what a CM might cost for 3 DCs (two at school)

(16 Posts)
Mutley77 Sun 17-Mar-13 12:42:35

Is v tricky. I went for a part-time less financially rewarding and less mentally stimulating option as I found the childcare (and guilt) easier to manage which balanced out the losses. I preferred that option to not working at all which doesn't suit me overly well, unhappily I don't think there ever is a perfect option .....

Good luck smile

flubba Sat 16-Mar-13 07:44:58

Thank you for replies.

P/T won't be an option as the work I need to do (to make it financially viable, and mentally stimulating enough to balance out the guilt grin) would be full time. I did think I'd struggle to find a CM with 3 spaces.

The before and after school club is an idea for the two older ones, once they are both full-time, although the 2 yr old would still need somewhere, and I was kind of hoping they could all be together (partly because it would mean one drop-off rather than two or three).

Oh, and I'd also like the moon on a stick grin hmm grin

HSMMaCM Fri 15-Mar-13 08:32:32

And ... if you used before and after schoolclub for tthe older children, there would be no contract to pay for holidays .

ceeveebee Thu 14-Mar-13 23:42:35

One of my friends who is a teacher has a term time only nanny for her DCs - so its a possibility?

Mutley77 Thu 14-Mar-13 23:38:07

Why dont you go back part time once your 4yo is at school ft? After school activities and play dates can then be on your days off. You could also look at breakfast or afterschool club which would def only be payable during term time.
You may struggle to find a good cm with 3 spaces anyway.

flubba Thu 14-Mar-13 21:24:58

Yep, I'm fairly sure I'm screwed if I want to return to work. It's just not worth it either financially or for the extra stresses it'd cause for the DCs. Think I'll have to grin and bear it for another couple of years.

Thanks all.

ReetPetit Thu 14-Mar-13 20:46:42

i think you will struggle to find a cm willing or able to do this tbh. In West London you are looking at between £6-£8 an hour per child.
I can't imagine many cms being in a position to take children to after school activities.
You would probably be better off with a nanny/nanny share or after school clubs for the older two and nursery/nanny share for toddler. HTH.

HSMMaCM Thu 14-Mar-13 18:57:46

Ah ... I would charge you full time spaces for all 3 for the hols, but some CMs do term time only contracts.

flubba Thu 14-Mar-13 18:26:41

Thank you. I need to ask around locally then, and do some calculations although not sure a nanny would work out cheaper as we're both teachers, so wouldn't need a nanny for all the school hols.

Thank you all ~ much food for thought.

mamamaisie Thu 14-Mar-13 16:59:26

I don't personally offer a sibling discount as I find siblings much harder work because they tend to fight with each other. I do know of some childminders who give a discount so ask around. It will depend somewhat on how much demand there is in your area. If there are lots of childminders with lots of empty spaces you may find someone who will jump at the opportunity of taking on three children and will offer you an incentive. On the other hand, if demand is high you may struggle to even find a childminder with three available spaces. You won't know until you try. smile

HSMMaCM Thu 14-Mar-13 16:35:23

I would charge full day for any children not in full time school, with no discount for siblings. I would not be able to take children to after school activities.

forevergreek Thu 14-Mar-13 16:11:08

It would probably be cheaper for a nanny tbh. A nanny will charge per family rather than per child.

So say £12 gross per hr for nanny (x10 hrs- £120 a day)

Childminder £6 per hr per child.
7.30-9am (2hrs fees x3 = £36)
9-12 (3hrs x1 = £18)
12-3 (3hrs x 2= £36)
3-5.30 ( 3hrs x3 = £54)
Total = £144 per day

(Based on hours rounded up as most won't do half hr slots, but not based on paying for 4 year old during school time)

A nanny would be for your 3 children only so could take them to activities after school etc also and would cook/ sort getting ready for school/ will look after sick children/ would have all 3 all day for same prie in school holidays etc)

flubba Thu 14-Mar-13 15:51:53

Thank you mama - I thought it would be difficult for the after-school activities bit too - I guess it's one of the things I need to consider if I do go back or not.

I realise each childminder will be a little bit different, but would you expect to get the full hourly rate for each child if they came from the same family? That was my thinking (or otherwise the childminder would be better off financially if they had three children from separate families) but my friend thinks it'd be a lot cheaper than that?

I hadn't thought of phoning up a few in my area as I thought they would mind if it doesn't lead to anything for them but maybe I'll be braver! smile

mamamaisie Thu 14-Mar-13 15:45:58

Every childminder does things differently, but it is unlikely that you would need to pay for the hours that the 4 & 6 year olds are at school. Some might charge while the 4 year old is doing half days, but not once he goes fulltime.

It will be tricky to find a childminder who will take your children to after school activities. I have heard of a few who do, but for most this is impossible as the younger ones would end up spending a large part of their day in a buggy or car ferrying back and forth.

Why don't you just call up a few childminders in your area and ask for rates. Parents often call me saying that they are thinking about going back to work and just want an idea of the rates. I don't mind this at all and always try to answer their questions. smile

flubba Thu 14-Mar-13 13:46:56

blush 7.30 AM (not expecting anyone to do a 22hr shift) grin blush

flubba Thu 14-Mar-13 13:45:25

Hi, I've only ever used nurseries before now, and am currently a StuckAHM but wondering whether a CM might be a more sensible option for us and our kids if I return to work in September but am confused as to what a CM would charge?

Basically we have 3 DCs - 6, 4 and 2. 6 yr old would be in school for the full day. 4 yr old would be at school for half the day (until Jan) and 2 yr old wouldn't be at school at all. We would need childcare from 7.30pm - 5.30pm, with drop off and collecting in between.

I did my calculations on a per-hour basis, but taking only the 4 & 6 yr olds' contact hours into consideration. A friend says I'd need to pay a CM for the hours in between (which I understand) but that instead of 3 x £hourly rate (around £6 here (W.London)), the CM might charge less for all three?

Also, currently the DCs do a couple of after-school activities each (not all within walking distance) - what's the likelihood of finding a CM who would be able to ferry them back and forth without having to compromise other charges' needs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now