Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

chikdminder help

(9 Posts)
tylersmummy12 Thu 14-Mar-13 11:48:22

I leave my little boy two days a week with a childminder. Hes coming along great but hes only 14 months. Now i found out she sits on facebook whiles hes in her care. Surly this isnt allowed... I mean nurcery nurses cant sit on facebook while there at work?

ZuleikaD Thu 14-Mar-13 12:05:07

How do you know she 'sits' on facebook? If you're happy with his development and all other aspects of his care, is it relevant that she may have an open page on her computer?

fieldfare Thu 14-Mar-13 12:19:04

How do you know how long she's on fb for? It could be that your ds is napping and she's having a cuppa and 5 min sit-down to recharge herself.

Stellarella123 Thu 14-Mar-13 12:28:19

My kids childminder pops on fb when kids are sleeping etc, wouldn't like it if it was much more than that though,

PinkCanary Thu 14-Mar-13 12:28:19

Until I turned off the chat function, having the app on my phone showed me as permanently on Facebook.

Having said that, I use Facebook as a professional tool and am a member of many activity idea pages. You won't find any drunk pics on my profile. You will find me sharing petitions to try to protect children from ridiculous changes that the DfE want to impose on the early years sector.

Bonkerz Thu 14-Mar-13 14:07:57

I post on FB and check emails and text etc while working looking after mindees and my own son. I think with a smartphone and IPhone its easy now and takes seconds. I don't get an official break between 7-6 so surely a few minutes flicking on phone whilst mindees are sleeping/playing/eating is not a massive crime????????????

mamamaisie Thu 14-Mar-13 15:35:29

I also sometimes go on facebook/mumsnet etc. while I have mindees. (No I don't have any here right now). I can't see the harm, it is a home setting after all. We always have a very busy morning doing activities and going out and about. By the afternoon the mindees are often tired and either asleep or have had their fill of me and are more than happy to play with each other while I sit down for a quick break. I don't think that children need to be played with or entertained every single minute of the day.

shesariver Thu 14-Mar-13 18:11:22

How do you know she "sits" on facebook?

Tanith Thu 14-Mar-13 18:20:29

I have to have Facebook open because the only way one of my parents will communicate during the day to tell me of the last minute changes to pickups etc. is through personal messaging on Facebook. I had to set up an account on there especially for this.

It probably does look like I'm permanently sat on there (like I ever have the time grin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now