This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Moving to Singapore and looking for a live-in maid

(10 Posts)
Moving2singapore Tue 12-Mar-13 17:44:51

Hi,

I am moving to Singapore with OH in a few days and we are expecting our first baby in June. I have to go back to work after 3 months so am keen to get started with finding a live-in who can look after a small baby.

Ideally we would like to take on someone who is currently placed with expats who are moving on from SG or no longer require a live in. Does anyone know of anyone who might be suitable or alternatively a reliable agency who can provide maids qualified to care for infants?

Many thanks in advance much appreciated!!

ReetPetit Tue 12-Mar-13 18:08:24

what is going on today? has the world gone mad or are all the trolls out?

Littlefish Tue 12-Mar-13 18:13:28

"a live in"

OP, if this is a serious post, then I suggest you ask for it to be deleted, and start again with language which is less offensive.

HappySunflower Thu 14-Mar-13 21:28:02

You might fare better if you post on he EXpatSingapore message boards.....

Mimishimi Mon 18-Mar-13 04:55:02

Why would it be a joke? Having a live-in maid in places like Singapore and Hong Kong is perfectly normal. OP, I would suggest that you get in touch with expat associations/ work colleagues after you arrive over there rather than go through the agencies, many of whom are very dubious with regards to their hiring practices (a lot make their maids get into massive debts with loan sharks). Hopefully an expat who is leaving soon will be able to recommend someone good. Have a list of questions that you want to ask your potential maid - particularly ask about her financial commitments back home as well - you want to avoid hiring someone who gets big debts over there and then disappears because the collectors will harass you even though legally you are not liable. Most people want one or the other from their maids because few are good at both - good housework or good childcare - decide in advance which is more important to you and hire based on that. You might find that you would just like her to clean the house, go to the markets and cook rather than have her help you to look after baby and leave the place a disaster.

picklesrule Mon 18-Mar-13 09:14:08

we live in Singapore and have a helper who lives with us.. not sure what is so derogatory about the term "live in" Littlefish it is an accurate description for the staff who work in the majority of houses in Singapore and HK..

Movingtosingapore if you would like to pm me please do, I don't know anyone leaving currently but can put you in touch with a couple of recommended agencies and I know of one girl whose aunt is currently looking for a new role..

Littlefish Wed 20-Mar-13 16:31:14

No, it's a description of what they do, not who they are.

AngiBolen Wed 20-Mar-13 16:35:24

If a poster used the term "live in" to describe a Norland nanny in the UK, would it be equally offensive, Littlefish?

AngiBolen Wed 20-Mar-13 16:36:02

And is "live-out" equally offensive? confused

ReetPetit Wed 20-Mar-13 18:21:28

if it was phrased as the op was, so 'finding a live out' yes, it would be equally offensive imo. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now