This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is ds happy at cm?

(8 Posts)
Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 10-Mar-13 22:57:47

What does the pit of your stomach tell you? Do you feel that your child is happy?

It sounds as if he is, I must say! But I do believe in trusting your gut instinct.

WaterfallsOver Sun 10-Mar-13 13:11:40

Thanks all! I think he is settling well, I will def ask if there are any photos to look at as that would be an added reassurance smile

harryhausen Sun 10-Mar-13 10:31:24

My two dcs are STILL going to their CM after school 2 days a week and they are 8 and 5. She's had them since they were babies.

They nearly always cried or kicked off when I came to pick them up when they were tiny. Perfectly normal I think.

Sending you the odd photo during the day would help you though so suggest it to your CM. I can't tell you how nice it is to be sat at work and you get emailed or texted a photo of your dcs playing on the beachgrin

ZuleikaD Sun 10-Mar-13 10:24:19

Yes, he sounds as though he's settled well - as PP said, eating and sleeping well is a good sign.

minderjinx Sun 10-Mar-13 09:24:52

A lot of children are not good with change or transitions - hence they cry when they are dropped off and cry again when they are picked up. They also pick up on their parents' moods and if you are anxious, regretful or guilty about dropping him off, he will pick up on this and mirror your mood, which may be why her is better being dropped off by DH. Many children also learn early how to push their parents' buttons, so if making a big fuss gets him a lot of fuss and hugs, he will go for it! He sounds to me to be settling well.

doughnut44 Sun 10-Mar-13 09:22:55

All but 1 of my childminded kids cry when their parents come to collect. It's a natural reaction and the fact that they can't communicate properly (I think) and will soon stop. None of them cry at drop off (atm) but I have had children that do - normally once mum/dad have gone (usually in floods of tears themselves) the LO's just get on with playing.
Honestly - you would be amazed how quickly it stops.

NickNacks Sun 10-Mar-13 08:54:42

He sounds fine! smile

Eating and sleeping is a good sign and he's probably grumpier in the evenings due to the days at the childminder being so much busier.

Does your cm take photos? Could she send you some of him happy abd settled during the day?

Honestly I don't think there is any problem. What you have described is very normal. (from a cm) smile

WaterfallsOver Sun 10-Mar-13 08:46:36

Hello,

My ds 1yr started at cm four days a week one month ago. At first he seemed to find drop offs hard, crying hysterically etc, but now he tends not to cry on drop off (my dh usually does drop off as less likely to cry for him than me!), he eats well most of the time, though doesn't always drink much.

When I collect him he seems busy and comfortable playing, though cries when he sees me. Sometimes he can be a bit clingy and unsettled in the evening/at night but other than that he seems quite content and perhaps more exuberant than pre cm.

I get on well with cm and she tells me he's settled well. smile

I wondered if any cms/parents could enlighten me as to how to know if ds is happy at cms/signs he's unhappy etc? Sorry if I come across pfb, I probably am, but as he can't speak and tell me I'd be grateful for any words of wisdom smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now