Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Emergency childcare - are there any options?

(23 Posts)
Woolfey Fri 08-Mar-13 10:45:00

I've racked my brain and can't think of any options so I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help. I'm a full time SAHM with 2 DD's 1yr & 2yr. My husband is a contractor and only gets paid for the days he works. Since having DD2 I've had problems with my back and DH is having to take days off to look after the DD's meaning we don't get any income for those days. We have no family nearby and no friends who can help out. We can't keep doing this financially as it's crippling us but we can't find any childcare options that can take the DD's at the last minute and only occasionally. Does such a thing exist?

iluvkids Fri 08-Mar-13 11:37:07

An emergency temp nanny

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Mar-13 11:57:33

Temp nanny. Get registered with an agency and they can send someone out to you with very short notice. It will be quite expensive though.

Otherwise look for nannies/au pairs/responsible teenagers/retired people looking for a bit fo extra cash and cultivate a relationship with a few of them, then you should have someone to call on in an emergency. If you have a few people then chances are one of them will be free. More hassle, but probably cheaper.

Have a look on childcare.co.uk for a nanny who also does babysitting?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Mar-13 12:04:01

A nanny who does babysitting is generally looking for evening babysitting, they'll probably be at work during the day.

Trunchbull Fri 08-Mar-13 13:22:28

Whereabouts are you?

minderjinx Fri 08-Mar-13 13:26:22

There's a website Emergencychildcare.co.uk you could try.

I've done some emergency temp work through Likeminders, I'd recommend them if you're based in London.

Wickedgirl Fri 08-Mar-13 16:30:17

Where are you?

Some childminders may be able to help......have you asked any?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 08-Mar-13 16:37:54

as others have said emergency temp nannies - this is what i do

you can usually find a nanny through an agency and then hopefully aqll checks have been done by them as obv you wont have time to do yourself

might be worth registering with some, usually doesnt cost anything to register then if you need someone asap you can ring

other way is to look at your local netmums site for nannies/cm on there and contact some and have a list of a few who 'could' be free when you need them

where are you?

Woolfey Fri 08-Mar-13 16:41:24

Thanks so much for all your responses, I'm in Berkshire. I tried calling local nurseries and the local childrens centre and they didn't know of anyone who could help me. I'll try the emergencychildcare.co.uk website. It doesn't come up when you search for emergency nannies on google so I'd never heard of it. Thanks again I knew someone on here would be able to help thanks

Maebe Fri 08-Mar-13 16:42:47

Try childcare.co.uk too, you might be able to find CMs who don't have a full roster and so could cope with extra children for a day or so.

fluffygal Fri 08-Mar-13 16:49:05

What I would do is go visit local cm's, explain your situation and keep their numbers if you like them. They are likely to have spaces on some days but maybe not all. Then when you need one ring through the list until one can take your DD's. They will likely be happy to fill the space for the day and would be normal rate instead of emergency rates.

I did this the other day when my CM's son was ill so she couldn't have my DD. I had numbers of cm's I had seen and liked when I was originally looking but they didn't have full vacancy for my fulltime DD\preferred my current cm. One the first day off sick the first one I rang could look after her, and the next day the 2nd one could. I'm happy I always have that back up and they charged me normal rate. Its worth a try.

letsgoflyakite Fri 08-Mar-13 17:00:31

Woolfey, I may be able to help. I will inbox you.

Was going to suggest local childminders. I work under numbers usually but don't mind the occasional extra child

Fightlikeagirl Sat 09-Mar-13 15:17:32

Have you found anyone yet? I'm a cm in Reading. I'm full but know of a fellow cm who maybe able to help.
Pm me.

afussyphase Tue 12-Mar-13 15:14:46

Definitely local childminders over emergencychildcare.co.uk. All they do is effectively charge you for the numbers of local childminders and nurseries, who you then would need to meet and talk to anyway! I guess they pass along your whole profile, who your doctor is and all that. Local childminders have often helped me out, too ...

lechatnoir Tue 12-Mar-13 20:15:18

I'm a CM with a couple of families on my books who only use me for emergency cover & babysitting. I have 1 tomorrow - mum texted me at lunchtime to say her MIL didn't want to travel in the snow & would I have her DS which I can as I always w

lechatnoir Tue 12-Mar-13 20:18:59

(Posted too soon) .... work under numbers. When we first met she signed a 'zero hours' contract, permissions & policies etc & I will invoice her tonight & she will pay either at drop off or on collection. I do charge slightly more for ad hoc work like this but it suits them & me well so everyone seems happy enough. I found all my ad hoc families on Childcare.co.uk - 1 placed an ad & the other 2 messaged me.

Woolfey Thu 14-Mar-13 07:14:51

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Very much appreciated. I am going to arrange to visit some local childminders and get set up with them as emergency contacts.
thanks smile

nbee84 Thu 14-Mar-13 11:45:46

It's worth contacting sitters Though the majority of their stuff is evening babysitting, a lot of the nannies/childcare workers that are registered are also available for daytime work. A friend is registered and as she works a 3 day week if any 'jobs' come through for her days off and she has nothing planned then she will work them. She says that quite a few jobs come through during school holidays but that she is starting to notice a few more for other times too.

One of the down sides to this is that you may not get the same person each time but you can request a particular person and hope that they are free.

EmergencyChildcare Thu 28-Mar-13 13:37:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ItsMeAgainYesHowDidYouGuess Thu 28-Mar-13 13:43:12

Hi, also worth checking out some of the local gym crèches as they will take children for a short while if you need a couple of hours respite. I know the one in Caversham does this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now