Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Suspect my charge may have Asperger's

(28 Posts)
BestestBrownies Thu 07-Mar-13 22:05:35

I have been working for this family just under 3 months and strongly suspect my 5yo charge has Asperger's. How do I go about telling the parents this in as tactful and kind a manner as possible?

They are a lovely family and I'm really happy working for them, so of course I don't want to cause them any unnecessary hurt. I thought about broaching the subject with his teacher, but decided against that idea as I don't want to look like I'm going behind the parents backs.

Has anyone here had to handle this situation before? Are there any parents of ASD children who can advise me? I just want to do what's best for my charge and I know early diagnosis means he can be better helped long term.

EvaM Tue 12-Mar-13 14:57:50

I think your approach needs to be very well thought through here.

I think you really need to do something, if you are concerned because making sure the kid gets the right kind of help comes imo before sparing the parents feeling.

It doesn't have to be as heartless as that smile. Tink about your relationship with the parents and how to wrap/ sugar coat the info. Mention behaiour you find concerning. As long as you make clear it's a theory (maybe one of many) and you don't suggest that this is what it definitely is, it might even be useful to put a name to your suspicion. (This depends v much on the parents and your relationship to them and also how much problems the child currently has).

Good luck.

blueberryupsidedown Wed 13-Mar-13 13:05:09

I would highlight the delays in reaching milestones, and note down observations and communicate them with the parents, but I would not ever ever mention autism or 'spectrum'. Trust me - I have had a audiologist telling me when DS was 2.5 years old that he thought DS was on the 'spectrum'. I was gutted, devestated, horrified, and walked out of the meeting in absolute tears. Turns out DS has a speech disorder, and nothing to do with being autistic. I am now a childminder and would approach this subject with a lot of tact...

Welovegrapes Sat 16-Mar-13 19:16:30

You sound absolutely lovely op.

Hope you find a good way to speak to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now