This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

were we asking too much?

(38 Posts)

Our temporary nanny resigned yesterday. She said she was unhappy that she was doing housework whilst DS was at preschool and that the house was always a bit messy.

Although I will admit to not being the most organised family, our home is not dirty or particularly messy. We have 4 DC, 2 dogs and DH and I. The worst that the kitchen gets is a pan or 2 and plates from the last meal made.

We explained that it was a 5 week placement and that as DS was at preschool for 3 hours every afternoon we would like her to do a bit of laundry and either a bit of a tidy or chucking a vacuum around after she had her lunch hour. She seemed happy with this at interview and until she resigned yesterday seemed happy with the job.

She also asked that we pay her early yesterday morning as she had DDs going out (due to be paid on Friday). We feel utterly let down but also wanted to make sure we weren't askig too much so we don't run into this problem again.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 07-Mar-13 16:12:43

Did you say light housework at interview, or did you say that you expect two of the three hours that your DC are in alternate childcare to be spent hoovering/wiping/emptying etc?
It might be that your idea of light housework and there's was very different. Or it might be that they would prefer a full day with kids rather than cleaning in the middle of the day - I'd rather be planning activities and researching classes and lessons than hoovering!

Lostonthemoors Thu 07-Mar-13 16:26:39

Caja there's no way researching and planning would take a full 3 hours in a day, surely??!

I have just looked in my kitchen and realised she has deep cleaned bits. Shelves, tiles, tea and coffee canisters. Why would she do that? We would never have asked her. Very odd.

fieldfare Thu 07-Mar-13 17:02:14

Maybe she misunderstood? Her idea of a bit of cleaning may be radically different to yours. It's a shame she couldn't talk about it openly with you though.
Childcare.co.uk is a good website to use.

teatrolley Thu 07-Mar-13 17:13:26

It sounds like some serious miscommunication. You need to spell out the specific tasks eg unstacking/restacking the dishwasher. You obviously have very different ideas of tidying and cleaning. grin that you can tell where she's cleaned.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Mar-13 23:27:38

So she did clean

Maybe she misunderstood how much you wanted her to clean and that's why she left

Shame she didn't discuss it with you sad

raspberryroop Fri 08-Mar-13 08:20:11

errh - if you can 'notice' cleaning in you kitchen and you regard tiles and tea canisters as 'deep' cleaning - then your idea of clean and tidy is very different from mine and probably her's. I think with 4 kids and full time jobs what you find ok and just a bit messy may be - quite messy and untidy ;0

Welovegrapes Fri 08-Mar-13 09:54:25

I think most cleaners would regard things inside cupboards as a deep cleaning task and not a regular wipe around! Certainly not something my cleaner would do regularly.

And if I had 4 kids, 2 dogs and was studying I don't think I would have much time to go round wiping tea caddies constantly.

MarshmallowCupcake Fri 08-Mar-13 20:46:11

Not good that she left especially since you had outlined the job description at interview.
But, I'd never take on another nanny position that involves cleaning! I'd happily move furniture around the kids room to clean skirtings etc but I'd never do parent associated cleaning.
Nannies are there to look after the children and do any duties associated with the kids, not to wash the parents dishes from the night before. Mothers helps are slightly different but any job in the house can be happily done by nanny/mothers help as long as its discussed at interview stage.

Dozer Sat 09-Mar-13 10:15:38

Unlucky hire, as others say it's her that's the problem, if she was from an agency I would complain, if not just chalk it up to experience.

forevergreek Sat 09-Mar-13 23:08:47

most nannies wouldn't do a cleaners job

3 hrs out of school. 15 mins there and back (might only be 3 min walk but they need coats sorting, teachers talk, children chat to friends)

so 2.5 hours. nanny takes 1 hr break as only time in the day as no lunch break

so 1.5 hrs.

that time as a nanny would be to sort childrens washing (fair amount with 4 children). get dinner ready/prepped for that evening, tidy toys/bedrooms.

leaving very little time left if any. any spare time would be baking for childrens school lunches/snacks, picking up some milk, sewing on a name badge, arranging activity for that afternoon etc...

juneybean Sat 09-Mar-13 23:13:05

A nanny getting a 1 hour break? That's a luxury.

forevergreek Sat 09-Mar-13 23:31:47

No a nanny takes time when they can as a break. This nanny had 3 hours without child so it makes sense to take a break then if possible.

I work 7am-7pm, are you suggesting it would be a luxury for me to sit down 30 mins? I don't have any charges at nursery so they are home full time. When they nap however yes I do try to take a hour as a break. Sometimes my 'break' with be a drink sitting down with toddler on the sofa and that's the closest I get that day.

I don't think many jobs expect you to work solidly with no break at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now