Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Reassurance please!

(9 Posts)
teacher123 Thu 07-Mar-13 08:14:02

I posted last week about my new cm and food and got some good advice. DS went for his second settling in session yesterday, this time after some persuasion he drank half of his milk after refusing point blank last time but only ate a tiny amount at lunchtime and just cried. He's 10mo. The last few days he's had a cold/possibly teething and has been a bit grouchy.
Can anyone reassure me that it's normal and he'll settle down? She's ever so nice but not had a mindee this young before (has two children of her own) and I think she thought he'd just settle and eat straightaway.

PedlarsSpanner Thu 07-Mar-13 08:22:21

Not eating in a new setting is v common. As is not sleeping.
Plod on, and suddenly you'll hear he ate heaps, and drank lots, had a long nap, enjoyed a walk round the lake etc

Carlene2013 Thu 07-Mar-13 11:20:39

Yes i agree, this is very common for this age. He will get used to his new environment soon enough.

HSMMaCM Thu 07-Mar-13 11:28:42

It's his only way of protesting about the change. He should settle soon.

eeyore12 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:50:12

Yep totally normal, whenever we have a baby this age start at nursery I woul always say don't be surprise if they don't eat or sleep as normal for the first few times while they get used to the change. They only seemed to not do one or the other rarely do the protest with both.

minderjinx Thu 07-Mar-13 13:39:43

I agree with what everyone has said - either not eating or not sleeping at first is about what you would expect at 10m, unless the baby is very accustomed to going to friends or relatives. It is the down side of extended maternity leave as it's much easier to settle a younger child.

teacher123 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:14:04

Thank you, that's what I needed to hear! He's very used to being looked after by daddy, granny and grandma and has happily spent whole days away from me, but it's always been in familiar environments. He went down for a nap both times with only a bit of protest, so that's something at least! Am going to send all his favourites next week and hope it makes a difference x

goldie81 Fri 08-Mar-13 09:38:42

I had an 11 month old start with me- it took her almost 3wks 2want to take any food or drink from me. She was very unsettled - only having been left with close family etc.
She was happy in the buggy but rest of tine teary & me picking her up didn't comfort her. In order to get food/drink in her I would let her eat and drink in the buggy as she was happy in there. Slowly she ate & drank bits (to begin with just feeding herself finger foods). She slowly learnt to trust me etc and few weeks later would sit at table with the others eating! She now eats things here she wouldn't eat at home!!!
So just be patient- it's tough but your little one will get there!

MUM2BLESS Fri 08-Mar-13 10:34:41

Each child is so different.

It will take time for your child and also the cm to get use to each other.

I remember taking on two little girls within a short time of each other. One of the girls was very calm and just got on with things, the other was not.

I had to allow the mother of the little girl who was stilll settling to call me as many time as she little. Over a period of time the calls got less and less.

Your DS will need time to settle.

I send a hug to you, all will be okay, just wait and see smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now