Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How do I get a childminder for a 15 year old?

(9 Posts)

Any ideas? Dd is not responsible enough to give keys too (many issues), her school library is shut after school so she can't go there. She needs to be somewhere safe rather than just wandering around.

Would a childminder be happy to have her for a couple of hours after school?

emsyj Tue 05-Mar-13 08:44:25

I can't see why not. My CM has an older boy in the mornings before school and an older girl after school (I don't know their ages, not very good at guessing but they are in secondary school uniforms and look teenage to me).

I would. It would be nice to talk to someone about something other than poo at the moment! Have a ring round a couple and see what they say.

TwinTum Tue 05-Mar-13 08:48:05

Could you get a cleaner for a couple of hours a day who is there when your DD gets home from school and can let her in? We have a lovely cleaner who has been with us for years, and when our DC are older I am thinking of asking her to change her hours to do this.

Never used a childminder so no idea of cost relative to a cleaner, but you would have the added bonus of a clean house!

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Tue 05-Mar-13 09:35:22

I'm a childminder and i'd do it! We have lots of activites for older ones.

DeltaUniformDeltaEcho Tue 05-Mar-13 09:43:48

You could get a babysitter in. There's usually a good supply of students that would do it but I guess it depends on the times.

I put an ad on gumtree looking for someone for DD12 2 hours after school once a week and got over a hundred replies in the first week. Most were language students over here from europe so had some great potential for helping her with some homework too.

Sadly, the course I wanted wasn't run in the end so I never got to the hiring stage but most sent CVs and refs and many had CRB checks too. I was very impressed with the standard.

I'm so pleased at the positive response! Thank you all so much for your advice - I'm loving the idea of a cleaner ( obviously) and the fact that I can get a crb checked person easily. I'm really pleased that none of you childminders have come back saying you wouldn't have an older child smile

MajaBiene Tue 05-Mar-13 13:41:42

Do you have a nearby university? Maybe a student doing an education/youth work/social care related degree (so CRB checked) would like to make some extra cash.

MortifiedAdams Tue 05-Mar-13 13:48:12

Definetly get her to go to a CMs. She can do her homework, have dinner and help.with the little.ones there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now