This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childcare Register - registration process?

(8 Posts)
OverAndAbove Mon 04-Mar-13 18:00:13

I am trying to find out how long it may take our new nanny to get registered. The guidance notes for this state 12 weeks or longer; could anyone who's been through it recently please let me know how long it took them? Trying to balance the books and very keen to know when We can start using childcare vouchers!

Is twelve weeks realistic or is here usually a backlog? Thanks!

wickedwitchofwaterloo Mon 04-Mar-13 19:26:34

I've just got through my registration certificate and I think 12 weeks is a decent estimate. There may be issues with the form etc to allow for.
However, my CRB and social services check went through pretty quickly (3 weeks) as I think I was known to both Ofsted and the CRB bodies (from being a child minders assistant 4 years ago)
I did hassle them on a weekly basis mind you, once I got my EY reference number. That seemed to help.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 19:39:20

Alas not recent but back in 2007 I applied (online) to Ofsted on 1st August 2007 for nanny registration. Forms arrived and were sent back, and my registration certificate came through 17 September - so took under 7 weeks.

So I think time taken will vary... with luck will take a little under 3 months.

WWofW Quick question if I may...
Why EY not VC? Were you registering as a childminder, rather than as a Home Childcarer, or does Ofsted use the same code for everything now?

OverAndAbove Mon 04-Mar-13 20:53:36

Thanks for that; I was really hoping the twelve weeks was an actual "deadline" but it sounds like I need to prepare myself for it taking longer then!

wickedwitchofwaterloo Mon 04-Mar-13 21:02:56

Nanny Nick - I'm not sure actually? My certificate says EY****
Registered as a home child carer on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register so maybe they are using EY for everything now?

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 04-Mar-13 21:09:48

I'm a nanny on the voluntary register and I'm pretty sure mine starts EY as well.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 21:11:01

Thanks WWofW, yep sounds like they are now using the same code.

OverAndAbove, yes it takes time and it is hard to know how long. Once the certificate comes through it can then take time to register with the childcare voucher provider, though some do process forms quickly.

Meanwhile if you are already in the voucher scheme your provider may allow you to stockpile the vouchers, then use several a month for a while.

OverAndAbove Wed 06-Mar-13 17:20:49

Thanks nannynick, yes my DH and I are both already in voucher schemes and have them stockpiled, so will just grit our teeth and wait until we can use them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now