This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's, another can I do this question

(10 Posts)
NoHank Mon 04-Mar-13 14:22:27

I have been watching the other thread with interest re numbers and ratio's etc but didn't want to hijack so thought I would start my own.

I currently have 3 mindees. Child A (2 yrs) Mon / Tue, Child B (2 yrs) Tue / Wed and child C (3yrs) Wed / Thurs afternoons only. I also have my own DD who is 2.

The parent of Child A is due to increase her working hours and has asked if I can also take her child on a Wednesday. The latest she is picked up is 3pm, however this would mean that for 3 hours (12pm - 3pm) a week I will have 3 x 2 yr olds and 1 x 3 year old. Am I right in thinking though that this could be exceptional circumstances as child A is already in my care and therefore I could do it????

Thanks very much for any advice

ReetPetit Mon 04-Mar-13 14:39:04

i think so, as it's continuity of care. particularly due to the timings. im assuming you wouldn't be doing any school runs during this time period?
call ofsted and check but i think you are fine if she is already in your care.

NoHank Mon 04-Mar-13 14:42:55

I would be doing one pick up, the 3 year old from nursery but I do have sufficient car seats and room in the car.

I hadn't even thought of contacting Ofsted, thanks for that. Just out of curiosity, how would Ofsted now if I were over my numbers (not considering it if it is not allowed, just curious) Would it only be through someone reporting me?

ReetPetit Mon 04-Mar-13 14:44:23

i think so, or them turning up at your door for some reason OR if god forbid you were involved in an accident and then your insurance wouldn;t be valid.
Best to call them smile they are normally ok if you have risked assessed properly,

NoHank Mon 04-Mar-13 14:49:12

Thanks ReetPetit, will give them a call later today and see what they say. I really hope it will be okay otherwise I think the parents may have to look for another childminder for the sake of the 3 hours overlap.

NoHank Mon 04-Mar-13 18:01:59

Ok, so now I am a bit confused

I rang Ofsted and she told me that as they will not tell me what I can and can't do and that it is up to me. She said that the ratios have not changed or the cirumstances when they can be altered and confirmed that this would be for siblings or continuity of care which is what I am asking.

She told me to specifically read section 3.40 of the welfare requirements which state "3.40 If a childminder can demonstrate to parents and/or carers and inspectors, that the individual needs of all the children are being met, then exceptions to the usual ratios can be made when childminders are caring for sibling babies, or when caring for their own baby."

She then said if I want any more information I need to contact my local authority direct - so I am going to e-mail the early years quality assucurance officer and see what she says

busymum1 Mon 04-Mar-13 18:51:10

Yes you can. I have clarified my understanding with the dfe as there was so much confusion and also my local authority contradicting Ofsted. I have produced a variation flow chart which is available on the ncma local website.

ncmalocal.com/conversation/ask/my-business/f/384/p/1170/3445.aspx#3445

MrAnchovy Mon 04-Mar-13 19:41:40

Your local authority??? They don't have anything to do with it. Did you take the person's name - they obviously need retraining?

Ofsted have produced a factsheet explaining how they interpret the regulations.

Pointing you towards EYFS 2012 3.40 was not very helpful as it only applies to under 1s whereas the Ofsted factsheet states that they interpret paragraph 3.29 "exceptionally, and where the quality of care and safety and security of children is maintained, exceptions to the ratios may be made" as applying to childminders, which seems to fit your situation.

NoHank Mon 04-Mar-13 20:37:47

Thanks busymum1 and MrAnchovy. Reading both your links I feel that yes I can go ahead with this. And yes MrA, my local authority hence my confused grin

I loved the flowchart busymum, very clearand straight forward

busymum1 Mon 04-Mar-13 22:33:38

Glad you liked flow chart it just helps clarify everything in my mind. I read so many misconceptions when the eyfs was revised I wanted to explain it clearly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now