Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How much does a nanny cost?

(17 Posts)
Babyrooboo Mon 04-Mar-13 12:18:13

We are looking for a live out nanny to look after my three children when I return to work. I was hoping for advice on what the going rate for a nanny is. We live in Kent. I have three children aged 6, 4 and 1. The job will be for three days a week 7-5.30pm. The two older boys will be at school most of the day.

We have found some one amazing but she is charging £13 per hour net. Paying this plus the tax would make it pointless for me to return to work, especially as we have lost our child allowance. We have calculated that we can pay £10 per hour net.

Is that a decent wage for a part time live-out nanny outside London?

Thanks in advance.

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 04-Mar-13 12:49:17

£13ph gross is generous, £13ph net is a joke. Work out what you can afford to pay gross and then offer that, see if she wants the job.

£10ph net is the going rate in London, so very reasonable for outside London.

Ultimately she can ask for what she likes, but you can only pay what you can afford.

megandraper Mon 04-Mar-13 12:52:45

I pay £8.50 per hour gross plus tax/NI etc. for nanny for 3 DCs (but I am in the north).

You could also talk to some agencies in your area and find out what going rates are (regardless of whether you look through the agency in the end).

callaird Mon 04-Mar-13 12:59:39

I'm in Kent, have been a nanny for 28 years, loads of newborn and multiples experience, excellent references and I do not get £13 net an hour!! That is just madness. Like others have said, tell her what you can afford (less a bit and you can offer a pay rise in the future) and tell her to like it or lump it. Don't forget to factor in things like extra food, classes, outings, heating during working hours and minor breakages!

ZuleikaD Mon 04-Mar-13 13:08:00

Yes, £13 net per hour is stupid money.

Mr Anchovy's calculator is invaluable for this sort of thing.

thejoysofboys Mon 04-Mar-13 13:12:39

I'm in the north west and pay £10ph gross. I have 2 small boys (not yet at school).

Wickedgirl Mon 04-Mar-13 13:35:34

I am a very experienced nanny and am working in Oxfordshire. I earn £16.50 gross per hour to look after a 2 year old and 6 month old. That's the rate the job was advertised at

Why is it "stupid money" to pay a fab nanny their worth?

If you really want them, negotiate with them.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 13:50:56

Outside of the M25 I feel salaries in the south east (I am in Surrey) are around the £9-£11 gross per hour, depending on experience. Someone very experienced could get a bit more, someone new to nannying a bit less.

£13net is silly money.

You need to decide how much you want to offer salary wise and advertise the job with the given salary. Waste of time interviewing nannies wanting £13net per hour if that is not in your budget.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 13:52:51

Blondes is in Kent area and a very experienced nanny, so expect she will be on later to give you an idea of how much someone like her would cost and what her local nanny friends typically earn.

sunshinenanny Mon 04-Mar-13 13:52:53

I don't think it's stupid money but I do think it's unrealistic in the present climate and Wickedgirl I'm glad you have a family who can afford to pay you what you are worth and I don't like the tone of some of the previous poster's.

I have often negotiated a lesser wage for the right job bearing in mind I have to earn enough to live on and cover my travel cost but I am much more likely to do that if I feel the family really can't afford to pay more than for the employer who doesn't think a nanny should be treated with any respect.

callaird I do not expect to pay for my charges outing's and classes or to heat my place of work and a modest lunch as always been part of the job, as a nanny has to time her lunch in with her charges. On the very rare occasions that I have broken something belonging to an employer (about 3 times in 30 years of childcare) I have offered to replace it!

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 04-Mar-13 14:01:42

'callaird I do not expect to pay for my charges outing's and classes or to heat my place of work'

No-one is expecting you to pay for that stuff, parents still have to factor it in to the total cost of having a nanny though.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 14:09:55

Wickedgirl, you are very experienced and the parents advertised the job at that wage. The OP was looking at 10net, so £13 is a lot more than their budget.

I feel parents need to decide what to pay and then see what applicants they get at that pay level.

There are of course lots of other things to factor in to get the full cost of a nanny, salary is just part of the cost.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 04-Mar-13 14:56:53

why thank you nick smile - yes im a nanny with 21 years exp, and have multiple /twins and tons of new born experience and excellent references and a tad modest lol smile

babyroo where are you in kent, feel free to message me if you dont want to 'out' yourself and if near me, maybe we should have a chat smile

i am temping/night nanny at the moment but would ideally like to be back in a perm job with a lovely family - just seem to be not many 'normal nice famillies' anymore sad so happy to temp till the right job comes along - im very lucky and have always been work

i charge £13, but gross not nett, so works out around the £10nett mark,

i am one of the higher paid nannies, esp out of my friends, but i think im worth it wink some of my friends earn £7/8 nett - keep telling them to gross, but they dont/wont

callaid, you live in which can make a difference, but not always - have a friend earning £8nett live in, as well as a friend earning same but live out

Babyrooboo Mon 04-Mar-13 20:45:52

Thank you for all of your responses. It has been hugely helpful. The potential nanny is coming over for an interview tomorrow and we can take it from there. There is just no way we could afford anything above £10 net at the moment so at least I can be clear on that and feel confident that we are not being unreasonable. She does sound lovely and is exactly what we are looking for in a nanny. But if it doesn't work out then it is a relief to hear that we could find a good experienced nanny within our means.

nannynick Mon 04-Mar-13 21:16:13

Do not agree a net wage. Agree a Gross wage, so you know what your costs are likely to be. With net pay, the nannies taxcode will affect how much you pay. You cannot be certain what someones taxcode will be, especially in a part time job.

Use MrAnchovys calculator and use the default taxcode and enter in net salary. Not the gross annual salary.
Then run again but change the taxcode to BR and enter the same net salary. See the change in the calculations, compare the gross annual salary figure with the one you wrote down... big difference?

Babyrooboo Mon 04-Mar-13 22:42:49

Thanks nannynick smile

callaird Tue 05-Mar-13 20:15:02

sunshinenanny. I didn't say the nanny has to pay for outings, food, heating etc, I meant that babyrooboo needs to factor these things in when she working out how much she can afford to pay a nanny. It's pointless paying a nanny top whack and then going without treats, holidays, heating at the weekend so that the nanny can do fun outings out with her children or be warm in the house during the week.

blondes yes I live in but if I work out the rent, bills and travel, add that to my weekly wage and divide it by my hours, I don't make £13 nett an hour!! I really wish I did. I do know I am on the higher end of the pay scale and I am happy with what I earn but I don't earn £13 an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now