This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Are there some nannies who only go through agencies?

(12 Posts)
thehuntress Fri 01-Mar-13 11:32:41

I'm currently looking for a full-time live out nanny in London. I've posted on nannyjob.co.uk and childcare.co.uk but the responses have been (for lack of a better word) dire. I don't think it is what we are offering - pay is good, we live in Central London so good location, no weird requirements, just the standard nanny duties. But the lack of professionalism in some of the responses is really off-putting.

I'm sure that there are some bright, motivated nannies out there but I'm wondering if they only go through agencies. Do you think I should register with some agencies also? If so, which ones? I can do everything that an agency can do (checking references, sifting through hundreds of emails, etc...) so I resent have to pay 6 weeks salary to have someone else do it.

ruby242 Fri 01-Mar-13 12:17:58

I'm a nanny and generally only go through agencies-mainly as I've found people advertising online offer very low wages or won't pay your tax etc. Also childcare.co.uk costs money whereas going through an agency is free for us. However I do look at nannyjob.co.uk. An agency might be the way to go

Derbys Fri 01-Mar-13 12:36:11

I only go through agencies for the same reasons as ruby

thehuntress Fri 01-Mar-13 16:16:37

Thanks for the replies. That is what I suspected. Are there any agencies in London that you would recommend?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 01-Mar-13 16:49:14

Most of the nannies I know look privately as well as through agencies. When you put ads up I think you do get an awful lot of rubbish responses as well as the good ones. If you have the time to sort through them all then you will save a lot by doing it yourself instead of paying an agency.

I think it's the same with looking for a job on these sites. A lot of them do offer low wages/don't want to pay tax etc, but there are some great jobs out there too. It's whether you have the time/inclination to seek them out.

Marypoppins99 Fri 01-Mar-13 18:26:21

Hi I do both have signed up with some agencies find its all abit more official and know if anything was to happen I could turn back to the agencies. But saying that have found all my nanny jobs to date through private ads. I sometimes feel not always the parents thought if they haven't placed the job with an agency sometimes the parents are offering a Lower pay their requirements aren't sometimes realistic of what they want of the nanny etc. do you have the link to the job ad I know that has helped a lot of parents on here. So some others can give you an idea if there is anything on there that maybe shouldn't be or things to add.

Karoleann Fri 01-Mar-13 20:48:46

Having advertised on gumtree and nanny job a few times, I've found 50% on gumtree are the " I want job or I have lots of experience looking after my nephew type". Even on nanny job there's a lot of unsuitables too.
Saying that I've found 4 very good nannies on gumtree, you just need to wade through the poor applications.

I tend to automatically discount anyone who hasn't attached their cv (which I state on the ad) and you can delete a few that ay without reading.

I've never had any luck on childcare.co.uk. I'd stick an ad on gumtree tonight, I'm sure you'll get lots more suitable candidates.

rakelixx Fri 01-Mar-13 21:20:34

Hi, i´m a Room Leader in portugal
I´m moving to London in 4 April and i´m looking for a nanny live.out job.
For more details contact me.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 01-Mar-13 23:15:01

I am registered with all my local agencies but also look on gumtree and nannyjob

As others have said problem with gumtree especially is that many but not all state they want nanny/au pair - there is a huge difference between them both and generally means family want cheap childcare - or want 40/50hrs but pay £100ish a week

Or you get those who don't want to pay tax - erm you aren't paying tax - it's our salary that we are losing it from - another reason why gross should be discussed and not nett

Agencies are generally used by families who want and need a nanny. The agency should discuss salaries with them and what nannies do and don't do

Today I went for an interview and was asked if I would do 'other' duties - when asked what they had in mind I was told cleaning house ie toilets and scrubbing kitchen floor by hand

I don't dont even do that at my house lol

Saying that my last job was through gumtree and was there over 5years and a lovely family smile

Mb always said if no one decent replies to her ad she would have used the local agencies so would have found me - I just saved her over a grand in fees smile

Victoria2002 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:35:19

Yup, what ruby said.

fraktion Sun 03-Mar-13 21:52:27

I think there probably are some who are disillusioned by people wanting childcare on the cheap.

Are you sure that what you're offering is reasonable? I wouldn't benchmark against childcare.co.uk for that. They do tend to be childcare on the cheap types.

Also some nannies who are very good childcarers just don't come across well in writing. If they attach a CV and it looks reasonable it may be worth overlooking a lack of a good cover note.

sunshinenanny Tue 05-Mar-13 18:40:41

I use agencies and childcare sites but I do find a lot of the people advertising on childcare.co.uk are timewasters and looking for a maid of all work. Many do not seem to have any idea about the difference between a nanny, a mothers help an aupair or a housekeeper and seem to think the more they can get out of the applicant the less they need to pay.

Having said that my last lovely job was found on Gumtree through an agency advertising the job and I was very happy with the familysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now