This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do you think this could work or not really?

(13 Posts)
november12mum Fri 01-Mar-13 09:49:46

I need some opinions on this situation,nanny with own baby aged 10 months and charges of 2.5 years old and 5 months old,is it possible or not really especially as family lives on the third floor of a building with no lift?
Any suggestions are much appreciated,thank you

botandhothered Fri 01-Mar-13 10:23:42

It is possible under normal circumstances, however I think due to the location of the family's flat it would be a major health and safety risk.

Would the nanny have to lug a double buggy up and down 3 flights of stairs and hold the toddler's hand?

Too risky, I think, an accident waiting to happen.

november12mum Fri 01-Mar-13 11:51:26

Thanks for the reply,it's pretty much what I thought as well,buggy would go in the basement which would only make it harder.

nannynick Fri 01-Mar-13 11:53:52

Logistics would be the issue... getting out and about. 2 non walkers plus a toddler, lots of steps. Going to be tricky.

botandhothered Fri 01-Mar-13 12:33:30

Is it full time? I suppose if it was just a few hours at a time they could all stay in? Not ideal. Obviously not fair to keep children in all day.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 01-Mar-13 16:37:09

I think it's doable. There are probably families with 3 young children living in 3rd floor flats all over the world. Little one in a sling, holding bigger baby, holding toddlers hand/walking behind while toddler holds on to rail. It won't be easy, but if they're just in and out once each day could be ok.

It's definitely not ideal though.

november12mum Fri 01-Mar-13 18:23:01

Thank you all for replying,it's not only a few hours a day,it's a full on position,50 hours + weekly,with nursery runs and activities for both babies.sling would have been a good idea but all in all it may get too much.

minderjinx Fri 01-Mar-13 18:43:54

Far from ideal now - potentially impossible in a few months time if both of the babies become heavier and wrigglier.

nannynick Fri 01-Mar-13 21:30:05

Guessing you are the mum looking for a nanny, how do you see things working with just your two children. Does your toddler negotiate the steps well? Do you find it a problem living on 3rd floor or have you found things that work well with just your two children involved, such as toddler walks whilst baby is in a sling and you carry things in your hands?

november12mum Sat 02-Mar-13 21:18:45

Sorry nannynick, I have just seen your reply.actually I am the nanny, my employers would like me to come back to work with my own baby,I looked after their first one since 4 months old.i would love to do that but we both had babies I think the logistics just don't work.As grateful as I am to them I would not put the kids at risk when going up and down on those stairs.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 02-Mar-13 21:31:38

I'd say it's do-able if you had to do it, but that it would be madness to choose to do it - unfortunately sad

forevergreek Sun 03-Mar-13 22:15:00

I would say its do- able. Like someone said, sling, baby in arms, toddler bumps down on bum carefully. Within say 4-6 months 2.5 will be nearer 3 and better on stairs, 10 month old would be 14-16 months and can probabaly walk so crawl down backwards with you in front, and baby near a year either crawl down too or carried.

Would make sure all essentially like nappies/ changing bag etc packed and always left with buggy, so just a small bag with drinks etc needed to be carted up and down.

fraktion Tue 05-Mar-13 08:11:22

I've double slung babies with that age difference which gives 2 hands free for toddlers. You'd need to be confident doing a back carry though.

Is there any way you could extend ML assuming you have the 5mo?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now