This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

any childminders or nannies on here doing the foundation degree in early years?

(8 Posts)
2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 20:33:16

Thanks Mogandme that's fantastic that I will be able to do this. You have made my week grin

Mogandme Fri 01-Mar-13 20:14:49

Oh and I am OFSTED registered but that has nothing to do with my course and think my un ofsteded nannies wouldn't have any issues.

Mogandme Fri 01-Mar-13 20:13:40

I am on my 2nd year of the FDEY - about to finish the level 4 part and start the proper degree as such - graduate next summer.

I am a nanny [the only one on the course] and to be honest sometumes its hard as you need to reflect on things that a nanny you don't have; policies/procedures etc or have a wide range to talk about but as long as you have early years experience which you can bring into assignments/discussion then it's not too much of an issue. TBH my uni friends all seem flabberghasted when I tell them about my job as it's so different to theirs.

2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 11:45:33

Ok that's good to know I talked to my tutor about becoming a nanny and she was unsure as I need to be Ofsted regulated but looking at their site if I sign up to the voluntary register I can nanny as would then be following eyfs for college if that makes sense?

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Mar-13 10:42:35

I did it through OU, but I know people who have done all or some of it at college.

2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 10:37:28

Can I ask if you did it through OU or a college where you went to attend lectures? I am at college so wasn't sure if it made any difference?

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Mar-13 02:50:47

I have done FDEY and BAEY working as a CM. No problem. Good luck

2anddone Thu 28-Feb-13 23:13:12

Hi I was wondering if one of you may be able to help me.
Over the years I have worked as a childminder, au pair, nanny, preschool assistant, preschool manager and teaching assistant. I was made redundant in the summer so am currently a full time student on the foundation degree in early years course.
I go to a primary school for 12 hours a week as a voluntary placement. I have been offered a full time job in September around my college hours as someone I know would like me to either nanny or childmind for them. Of course if I do this I would no longer do my primary school placement. I am happy to register as either a nanny or childminder but before I do I was wondering if any of you have experience of doing the FD in early years while working as a nanny or childminder and if so was your tutor ok about your childcare hours working as a nanny or childminder counting towards your placement iyswim! As far as I am aware placements or childcare jobs are classed as any Ofsted regulated setting or am I wrong?
Thanks [smile,]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now