This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

any childminders or nannies on here doing the foundation degree in early years?

(8 Posts)
2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 20:33:16

Thanks Mogandme that's fantastic that I will be able to do this. You have made my week grin

Mogandme Fri 01-Mar-13 20:14:49

Oh and I am OFSTED registered but that has nothing to do with my course and think my un ofsteded nannies wouldn't have any issues.

Mogandme Fri 01-Mar-13 20:13:40

I am on my 2nd year of the FDEY - about to finish the level 4 part and start the proper degree as such - graduate next summer.

I am a nanny [the only one on the course] and to be honest sometumes its hard as you need to reflect on things that a nanny you don't have; policies/procedures etc or have a wide range to talk about but as long as you have early years experience which you can bring into assignments/discussion then it's not too much of an issue. TBH my uni friends all seem flabberghasted when I tell them about my job as it's so different to theirs.

2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 11:45:33

Ok that's good to know I talked to my tutor about becoming a nanny and she was unsure as I need to be Ofsted regulated but looking at their site if I sign up to the voluntary register I can nanny as would then be following eyfs for college if that makes sense?

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Mar-13 10:42:35

I did it through OU, but I know people who have done all or some of it at college.

2anddone Fri 01-Mar-13 10:37:28

Can I ask if you did it through OU or a college where you went to attend lectures? I am at college so wasn't sure if it made any difference?

HSMMaCM Fri 01-Mar-13 02:50:47

I have done FDEY and BAEY working as a CM. No problem. Good luck

2anddone Thu 28-Feb-13 23:13:12

Hi I was wondering if one of you may be able to help me.
Over the years I have worked as a childminder, au pair, nanny, preschool assistant, preschool manager and teaching assistant. I was made redundant in the summer so am currently a full time student on the foundation degree in early years course.
I go to a primary school for 12 hours a week as a voluntary placement. I have been offered a full time job in September around my college hours as someone I know would like me to either nanny or childmind for them. Of course if I do this I would no longer do my primary school placement. I am happy to register as either a nanny or childminder but before I do I was wondering if any of you have experience of doing the FD in early years while working as a nanny or childminder and if so was your tutor ok about your childcare hours working as a nanny or childminder counting towards your placement iyswim! As far as I am aware placements or childcare jobs are classed as any Ofsted regulated setting or am I wrong?
Thanks [smile,]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now