This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Saw a childminder nearly get a child run over

(19 Posts)
sunshinenanny Tue 05-Mar-13 18:28:23

This is scary and teaching the children bad habits in road safety. No child should be running across the road against the lights and I would want to know if I was the mother.

lunar1 Sat 02-Mar-13 09:00:05

Please report it

JandT Sat 02-Mar-13 08:49:44

Although she would have been wearing school uniform they wouldn't have been able to see it (although very easy to guess) problem is they wouldn't have known the CM's name.

Wonder if I could send a letter to the school with description & say I was in one of the cars? Would probably be easy to guess who she is...

needstodiet Sat 02-Mar-13 08:20:11

OP did the children wear school uniform?

If yes, then the concerns could easily have come from Joe blogs public walking down the road. It is possible that people in the local area know she's a CM.

School uniform will help identify.

JandT Fri 01-Mar-13 21:34:12

InNeedOfCoffee that is indeed the problem. There were loads of cars (potential school parents in them) but yes I suspect she may be 'off' with our children which isn't fair on them.

Unfortunately I don't know any of the other children she looks after. Considered mentioning it at the primary as they probably know but it still leads back to the same people if they mention it.

Incidentally, also concerned our children may now think you don't wait for the green man as they all looked horrified.

Desperately hoping the girl tells her Mum as there would be no escaping from it then.

Poorlysick Fri 01-Mar-13 20:33:06

That should not matter though if she is only helping out in a classroom she will not get away with that and if you think she would then that also needs to be raised with the school.

InNeedOfCoffee Fri 01-Mar-13 19:48:17

JandT, I think I know you as my husband told me an almost identical story yesterday and was very shocked with what he saw (if it is you then you'll know who I am from that), I would be worried about reporting as she knows who was there and will be in close contact with our children and may treat them less favourably because of it. I would tell the parents I think (I don't know them so cant though).

Titchyboomboom Fri 01-Mar-13 18:02:04

I would tell the parent, definitely

JandT Fri 01-Mar-13 14:16:35

Even though she could put it down to 3 parents (myself included)? The extra issue is she helps in a class with 2 of ours children....

MajaBiene Fri 01-Mar-13 14:10:08

Yes, you have to report it.

All Ofsted is likely to do is call her and give her some advice, but if she knows people are watching then she will hopefully pay more attention to the children's safety in future.

bellablot Fri 01-Mar-13 14:06:15

Of course you have to report it and tell the mothers if you know them. I would certainly want to know!

TakingTheStairs Fri 01-Mar-13 14:03:11

report it

JandT Fri 01-Mar-13 13:58:36

So, it turns out she is a registered childminder, other childminders locally are aware she's not very good but haven't witnessed anything they can report to Ofsted (asked a friend of mine).

Also turns out the child I know who uses her has just stopped (due to change in circumstances rather than the CM) and the CM is now taking older children.

So; do I report to Ofsted? Feel it is a one off yet also feel that if it isn't...

MrsSham Thu 28-Feb-13 22:58:03

I would tell the parents of any of the children you know and the school and ofstead. May not be relevant to tell the school and maybe not much they can do, but if you report to them and they chose to do something and get involved then even better.

badtemperedaldbitch Thu 28-Feb-13 21:57:18

You have to say something to the mum. Next time it could be a lot worse if one of the children don't follow her run instruction immediately then get caught in the road

Please say something. If they ignore what you say....great, but if you don't say anything and there is an accident....

JandT Thu 28-Feb-13 20:41:08

I don't know her full name but could easily find out. Also not sure if she's officially a CM as I know she has to do paperwork/training from overhearing a conversation recently. A lot of parents at our school seem to look after each others children without being 'official'.

Another issue is I do regularly see her so if the mother I told mentioned to her of course that could cause problems too. But feel being a wuss and not mentioning it would be forever on my conscience if something happened (I don't think she will have learnt from this).

brainonastick Thu 28-Feb-13 20:37:54

You are not being judgemental, you are just stating the facts.

I would certainly want to know.

And I've been on the receiving end of 'helpful' parents tells me what my cm has/hasn't done - I would always rather they told me (even if I think they are bonkers coming at parenting from a different stance to me - this is basic safety, completely different).

MajaBiene Thu 28-Feb-13 20:35:20

If you know the name of the childminder then I would report straight to Ofsted I think.

JandT Thu 28-Feb-13 20:33:15

Today I saw a childminder press the button on 'Green Man' lights, then run out into the road (traffic on her side was stopped), shouting at the children to run which the older child looked nervous about. CM shouted again, child ran as a car came along (no faster than 30mph and probably a lot slower), car braked and missed her by no more than 20cm's if that. CM then said to me and other parents present 'he was going too fast!' ignoring the fact the traffic light had been green and you could hear the car coming. Now I know the parent of one of her charges (who wasn't there today), do I tell her to be careful? Don't want to 'get involved', have often been told about the CM's awful parental behaviour (school aren't keen on her and feel she's causing problems for her children) but always thought she was ok as a CM.

Am I being judgemental? Should I say something if I see the parent (sometimes bump into her at groups)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now