This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Insuring au pairs to drive

(5 Posts)
andagain Fri 01-Mar-13 11:04:21

Our au pair was 23 when we put her on our insurance, it added about £60 for six months to our policy then. Age is not the only factor, how long they have had a licence plays a big part (five years plus) and if they had any driving offences (in the last 3 years). So ask those questions too.
Our (same) au pair has now turned 24 and we got a smaller car (the smallest one possible, class 1) and our insurance costs peanuts!

Worth taking all those factors into consideration.

Newtothisstuff Thu 28-Feb-13 21:22:54

We got an over 25 for this reason, it only cost me £50 to put her on my policy !

Mendi Thu 28-Feb-13 17:49:56

Thank you Nannynick, I will look through those threads.

nannynick Thu 28-Feb-13 16:42:57

Have a look through some other message threads about au-pairs and car insurance... that may help give a feel for which insurers you could approach for a quote.

Aupair car insurance - what do you do?

Car Insurance for AuPair

Aupairs and Car insurance

Car Insurance for AuPair Help

With luck other people will be along later today with advice for you. Meanwhile those threads will get you thinking... seems as though the cost will vary widely. Keep in mind it's not just about age, it's also things like driving experience, the car itself, your location, all sorts of factors the insurance company may take into account.

Mendi Thu 28-Feb-13 14:16:46

I am looking at getting our first ever AP for DCs age 11 and 9 starting this summer. Considering the locations of the DCs' schools, it seems inevitable that the AP will have to drive in order to collect them from school. At the moment we only have one car (which I need for work) so will need to buy a second car for AP. The main thing though is the cost of insurance. All I know is that insuring an under-21 is going to be v v expensive. Not sure how much exactly - any idea?

So, if I have to get an older AP to bring insurance costs down, will this be hard? It strikes me as a sort of gap year-type role so maybe people in their mid-20s are harder to come by? Also, do I need to ask them specific questions about their driving history at the interview stage?

Any tips really would be great as I have no experience of this but it is crucial we get one who can drive safely and whom we can afford to insure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now