This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au pair and mobile phones

(13 Posts)
MGMidget Wed 13-Mar-13 21:52:36

We do something similar to Headofthehousehold and add call bars for international/premium rate calls. This gives better value than PAYG in terms of number of call/texts/data for amount spent. We also specify in the contact that if she exceeds the call allowance we may ask her to pay some or all of the extra, although no au pair has come close to exceeding it yet. The risk with providing a fixed amount per month on PAYG is that the au pair uses this up for her personal calls and then can't call or text you when you would want her to (eg if you text her a question and expect a reply!).

Strix Fri 08-Mar-13 21:42:12

I would pay a set rate each month and anything over that she pays. Say £30. And in return for that I would expect her to be available in working hours when I call/text/email.

Headofthehousehold Thu 07-Mar-13 23:24:50

3 three (?) do a £15 a month contract you can terminate on 30 days notice, all you can eat data, lots of text and a good allowance of calls to uk landlines and mobiles. Also you can cap so they can't call abroad for instance or go over the £15. We have found that works for our AP.

NumericalMum Wed 06-Mar-13 22:42:21

Meant to say we pay it all. She pays anything on top o that as really she shouldn't need to make calls and what's app and texts cost nothing!

NumericalMum Wed 06-Mar-13 22:40:54

Ours has a £15 a month contract (3 I think?) as she was using data and speeding through £10 in a few days!

mumsareglam Wed 06-Mar-13 21:09:29

We get ours a PAYG phone and top up with £10 a month. They can top up additionally if they need to. This time we also got a cheap smart phone so she could used WhatsApp which cuts down on the cost of text messages.

Newtothisstuff Thu 28-Feb-13 21:22:09

We got ours a payg phone and we top it up for her each month, she hasn't gone without yet and in sure she would ask if she needed more

Lostonthemoors Thu 28-Feb-13 20:22:05

I don't pay any over the initial £20 to do the first top up

bringonthesummer Thu 28-Feb-13 17:36:30

Thanks . I think we will pay full amount as she will mainly contact friends through Internet messaging and it will give us peace of mind to contact her or vice versa ...

forevergreek Thu 28-Feb-13 16:51:37

I would probably pay it all tbh. And she pays if it goes over. It means you and her can always be in touch regarding children

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 28-Feb-13 15:17:44

Say you will pay a set amount monthly and if she needs more she can top it up herself.

trinity0097 Thu 28-Feb-13 15:06:24

Presumably she will also be using it for personal use as well, in which case paying half seems fair to me?

bringonthesummer Thu 28-Feb-13 11:26:09

I have just agreed a sim only mobile contract for our aupair so she has a uk number and we can contact each other . We have agreed to pay half each . However I am now thinking I should pay it all. Just wondering what other people do as we are newbies to having an au pair and this is the one thing I did not think about in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now