This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If a dc goes to nursery as well as a CM questions!

(8 Posts)
nogginsmum Sat 09-Mar-13 19:56:27

What should happen, in an ideal world, is that you should do a summative assessment 3 times a year (once a term on the old ways!) you sign it, parent signs it and can make comments if they want to. You get parents written permission to share it with nursery/pre school-give a copy to them.
Nursery/pre-school do the same in return!!
If anything wonderful/major milestone is achieved in the mean time, or if there is a concern then sharing should happen inbetween times too. You don't need to share every observation you do!
I know the world is not ideal and the formula above doesn't always happen!
Luckliy for me I work alongside a fabulous pre-school and so it does!
The 2 yr old check (just another name for the summative assesment at age 2) should be done by the provider the child is with the most. You give a copy to mum(or dad, or carer!) to share with the H/V at the 2yr check.
You both do a learning journey as the child will be with you seperately and do different things with each of you.
Hope that helps :-)

Fightlikeagirl Wed 27-Feb-13 21:55:28

I have the same situation with a mindee, except she is with me 3 days and at nursery for 2. I did her 2 yr check as she had been with me for over a year and had only just started nursery but I shared it with them.
As for observations etc, we both do them and share a few with each other each term. We share by email. We both have parents permission. I preferred to do it this way as then I can show to Ofsted that I'm working with other settings.

DIYapprentice Wed 27-Feb-13 20:45:52

If the nursery follows school term dates, then they would usually give the parent the folder at the end of the term, as did mine. I then had a look at it and passed it onto my CM. I would also borrow my CM's folder and share it with the nursery once a term as well, so that they were both on the same page (so to speak!)

It was interesting seeing the different activities that DS would take part in at the nursery and at the CMs. Nursery struggled to get him to do craft as he just wanted to play outside with the other children, but in a quieter environment at the CM's he would happily do craft.

Runoutofideas Wed 27-Feb-13 19:14:07

Yes you would need parental permission, and nursery should get their own permission too before speaking to you.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 27-Feb-13 14:40:24

Yes I would get parental permission and nursery should too as if not you are sharing confidential information.

bigwigdig Wed 27-Feb-13 14:38:59

Good idea. I have no ther dc there and have never had links with them. Do you think i should phone them? Do i need parents permission? Its a minefield!

Runoutofideas Wed 27-Feb-13 14:36:06

I think you would both do a learning journey and the nursery would do the 2 yr check as he goes there for longer hours. I would discuss with the nursery though - good chance to show partnership working...

bigwigdig Wed 27-Feb-13 14:32:30

I am going to be CM a 2 year old 2 days a week. The other 3 days he goes to a nursery. Do we both do a learning journey? Who does the 2 year check? Thanks for your help i'm a little confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now