Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM needing tips on how to pace myself!

(17 Posts)
bigwigdig Tue 26-Feb-13 14:40:58

I look after 3 toddlers 5 days a week (only ever 2 at the same time). I love it and we do loads of stuff and have a great time. BUT by the end of the week i feel exhausted. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with how much i have to do (washing, cleaning etc.) as i don't get much of that done when the toddlers are here. Then if my own dc play up i feel i don't have the patience that i give the children i mind. Other cms how do you manage?

fivesacrowd Tue 26-Feb-13 14:49:00

Watching this thread with interest. I've just been told not to work for a week as I've wrecked my back and I'm sure I've hurt myself by doing exactly what you're doing.

ZuleikaD Tue 26-Feb-13 17:58:05

I tend to take the view that childminding is a domestic environment and that therefore it's perfectly ok to do washing, hang it out etc when mindees are here. We do a lot too but they're quite capable of entertaining themselves for ten minutes while I wash up. Do less!

Fightlikeagirl Tue 26-Feb-13 18:07:48

I agree with Zuleika I do the odd load of washing, load my dishwasher etc throughout the day. We go to lots of groups and I do lots of activities with the mindees but also think it's fine for them to play while I do the odd chore.
I also try to get them to sleep at the same time so I get a bit of a break in the day to sit and have a sandwich, even if I only manage 10 mins before one wakes up, it all helps.
But childminding is a hard tiring job so I do have to go to bed early to have enough energy to get through the day, especially my busiet day, which is a Wednesday, so early night for me tonight smile

WorriedMary Tue 26-Feb-13 18:29:21

I manage by having mainly after school children - 7 after school children ranging in age from 4 - 11. And I only have one 3 year old two days a week (7.30-6).

I have two DC's (4 & 7) DS2 (4) goes to nursery 5 mornings and I get things done then when I'm not working.

But on the two days I work I make sure I do bits a bobs
e.g. Load washer and hang out.
Load and unload washer.
Declutter kitchen work tops.
Nip washing up stairs on a toilet run. Quickly pop stuff into rooms whilst 3 yr old mindee is on the loo and run a sink of water for him to play in wash his hands in, and get a bit more tidying done/ beds made. (2 min job)
I keep a pack of surface wipes handy in my playroom for a spot of wiping up when necessary.
I set them off on a task and get cleaned up after meals and wipe down surfaces and doors and wipe away muck as I see it.
I spot clean toys when the kids are there.
I vacuum every couple of days depending on the messiness. But get the Dyson out if needs be during the working day as it get traipsed through the house if not.
I make the children even my youngest takes their pots to the sink. And get the older ones to pour and give out drinks. (they love the responsibility)
I make the children clear away the toys periodically so that everything is not out at once and so I'm not left with a big mess when they all leave at different times.
When I know their departure time I make sure they've tidied up and are sitting quietly waiting for their parents about ten minutes before pick up time.

I do my shopping online as its one less job to run around doing. (done on an evening and added to my iPhone as and when I think of stuff)

I do my EYFS paperwork in an afternoon whilst my DS and mindee play, so I can send home his journal.

But I only have 1 plus my DS (and they aren't young ones). Not sure how I'd cope with 2 younger ones.

I don't think it hurts for them to see you doing chores and be unavailable for short periods as its like being at home. And I also think it's important to have a clean, tidy and organised home when minding and it is necessary to keep on top of stuff during the day.

My mindee has been dusting the stairs today! grin

WorriedMary Tue 26-Feb-13 18:30:22

Oops I x posted as my post was so looooong!

lechatnoir Tue 26-Feb-13 18:40:06

Probably not what you want to hear but I keep sane & on top of everything with 1 day a week off minding - I catch up on housework & try to give my DC some quality time which they don't really get when I'm working especially with little ones.

lechatnoir Tue 26-Feb-13 18:43:01

Eta - I still have before school mindees on my day off just no one from drop-off so do earn something that day grin

WorriedMary Tue 26-Feb-13 18:44:04

Oooo I forgot to say I also limit the days I work in the school holidays so that I have time to spend with the kids and get jobs done that I can't do with mindees there.

lisa1968 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:43:40

......I drink wine....... smile

squinker45 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:53:32

Get a cleaner! it's brilliant. We go off to a group and when we come back 2 hours later all the boring bits are done. Well worth the money IMO

Love the idea of a day off though....

calmlychaotic Tue 26-Feb-13 20:44:45

Definitely need a cleaner, and wine!

SouthernPolish Fri 01-Mar-13 23:22:09

When you start up CMing you need to build up gradually and not bite off more than you can chew. My first Mindees were 3 boy siblings under 5 years and I had my own two as well. It was far too much and I started suffering with back pain and got generally quite run down. Eventually, after 8 months, I decided it was too much and (reluctantly) gave notice. Then I looked after two toddlers a day. Now I'll go up to three, but no more as its not much fun and way too stressful!

Inclusionist Fri 01-Mar-13 23:57:09

I am a parent with a wonderful, family orientated CM. TBH I hope for my DS to be around her (and to help) while she does her laundry, sets the table, washes up, does her hoovering etc.

That is why I put him with a CM not in a nursery, because I want him to experience normal household life while I am at work. I'm also glad she takes him to the post office and supermarket on her own errands as well as to toddler groups and soft play. The more like 'normal' family life it is the better as far as I am conerned and I am a tiger parent.

i only work 4 days a week....i say only but i manage to work 40+ hours over those 4 days. I am doing an OU degree so mondays are supposed to be my study days which means i will sit at the computer for a few hours looking at kittens doing crazy things and facebooking and then sitting and watching catchup tv.....

i must admit by friday night i am on my knees (i am the very very wrong side of 40) and all i want its a drink and a take out tea.

I have three mindees....only have all three for two days. One has SN and is quite difficult at times. And then at other times he is so sweet. I wonder if he likes me as i seem to offend him at every level these days! he has no speech at all so cant tell us what he wants. But every afternoon at 4 when the other two have gone home he gets his dummy and blanket and demands i sit down with him on the sofa for cuddles and kisses...and my word he does like to cuddle and kiss. he pats my face and wraps himself round me. Its our wind down time before mummy picks up.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 02-Mar-13 13:36:52

I think sometimes when you read posts on mumsnet you convince yourself that childminders need to be doing activities every hour off every day. Fortunately I have not found any of these parents in real life! Though even if i did they would soon be given notice.

I have one mindee 60 hours a week, we sit and watch cbeebies together first thing (me with a cup of tea) until my dc get up then she free plays while we all get ready/eat.

My mindee comes to the hairdressers/doctors/supermarket etc with me and either "helps" me clean or plays with my dd while I potter about.

As long as we have some outside time everyday, some kind of arty activity, and some kind of story/floor time we all happy.

badtemperedaldbitch Sat 02-Mar-13 21:31:37

My big recommendation is to get a ewbank!

It's just so quick and convenient to have a quick swish before, during and after play/feeding. It makes it so easy to keep on top of it..... Of course I vacuum as well, but I can give a little swish around sleeping little ones and the added bonus is that because it doesn't make a noise the little ones want to have a go!

PLUS you can teach the little ones about 'the olden days', eco-cleaning and have a dance Around at the same time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now