Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Filipino / Philipino Live In Advice

(31 Posts)
Jimberoonie Sun 24-Feb-13 22:02:05

Hi there

We are a young-ish (early 40's) working couple with 2 daughters (8 and 13) and are looking to make the transition from Au-pair + cleaner to a live-in Filipino.

Any do's and don'ts from you wise people? Such as pay, duties, visa aggro?

Would really appreciate some guidance.

All the best

Jimberoonie confused

TiffIsKool Thu 28-Feb-13 12:13:42

Sure that there are nannies with degrees but they wanted £30,000 pa and for that they would not perform duties that were not directly related to the child. Apart from the fact that they were beyond our budget we didn't want to employ two people to do one job. We ended up employing a Polish girl for £22k for a job that was, during term time, 5 hours child facing and 2 hours cleaning. Hardly exploitation or cheap.

Anyway, the OP asked about Filipino nanny/housekeeper so I replied in kind. I wasn't making a statement about their superiority over other nationalities when it comes to nanny-ing. Merely that they were more flexible which does not mean by default that they are being exploited.

fraktion Thu 28-Feb-13 09:39:06

There are lots of British nannies with A-levels or even degrees shock In fact your average Chiltern graduate won't have A-levels and a Norlander from 10years ago wouldn't either.

I particularly dislike the way it's assumed in general that the only way to get a live in nanny housekeeper is to employ a Filipina and the way that they're praised for being meek and willing.

If you want a live in nanny/HK say so. Specifics the duties and budget. By all means contact specific agencies - Imperial and Greycoat may also be able to help. But don't boil it down to one nationality.

TiffIsKool Thu 28-Feb-13 00:08:54

.. also annl you are assuming that other nationalities share the same work culture. Filipinos working for a Filipino family in the Philipines have the same duties so it's not a case of those damned gwailoh expats exploiting foreign workers.

TiffIsKool Wed 27-Feb-13 23:59:35

annh - Although it wasn't your intention, thank you for making my point. English nannies have clearly defined roles so often the employer has to hire a nanny and a cleaner. Its so British grin

And please spare me the outrage. A significant number of us are accessing MN via our made in a Chinese sweat shop iPads while warming our feet in our made.in a Vietnamese sweat shop Jim Jams. People don't seem mind when cheap labour benefits them but OMG the OP wants to employ a (cheap) foreigner.

annh Wed 27-Feb-13 23:43:59

Tiff I have had many nannies over the years and they have all had at least A levels or equivalents, you are obviously looking in the wrong places! Even my babysitters have A levels or are studying for them and I don't think that is at all unusual. You also seem to be confusing different roles - of course, the nanny will usually only cook, clean and iron for the children, the hint is in the word "nanny". Otherwise you need a housekeeper. I suspect expat families in HK are not overly bothered with pesky distinctions like that and the Filipinas who need to send money back home are in no position to complain about it.

TiffIsKool Wed 27-Feb-13 23:12:38

OP - I was an expat in HK for a while where the company paid for accomodation plus a Filipino nanny.

The nanny was degree qualified but employment opportunities being what it was back home, being a nanny in HK paid better than an office job in the Philippines. Then there was the attraction of getting residency after two years.

Sorry ladies but back home in the UK, unless you go for a graduate of one of those posh (read expensive) nanny schools, you be lucky to get a nanny with A levels. And then there are limits to what an English worker will do. Our nanny would only clean the children's room and wash only their clothes.

I would choose a Filipino nanny over an English one any day (puts crash helmet on).

Lostonthemoors Wed 27-Feb-13 22:58:59

But seriously, OP, why someone from the Phillipines? Just interested.

Lostonthemoors Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:47

I reckon if you take food, bills and accommodation paid into account that is about a £29k salary gross. I worked in the city in that year and started on 30k gross for 12 hour days.

annh Mon 25-Feb-13 13:26:01

I realise this is getting away from the original point of the thread but am sufficient irritated by Hellsbells posts to comment. Do you actually know anything about being a nanny? Your reference to £1500 per calendar month is the NET figure, gross that is almost £21k for a LIVE-IN position where the nanny has no rent/mortgage to pay, no council tax, wifi or utilities. Many people would be delighted to have that £1500 per month after all those bills are paid. I know I would! Nannies also traditionally work long days, it's an expected part of many roles, but is often compensated for by having time off during the day while charges are at nursery/school.

Bonsoir Mon 25-Feb-13 13:25:30

There's nothing morally wrong about employing a Filipina nanny/housekeeper per se and the wages/t&c mentioned on this thread are perfectly reasonable.

But, personally, I just couldn't do it. We are surrounded by DC who spend a lot of time with Filipina nannies/housekeepers and they grow up entitled and unskilled. It really isn't good for DCs to have someone running around after them all the time, and it is really hard to break the Filipino mindset that that is their job.

NK123 Mon 25-Feb-13 13:10:14

Hellsbells. 35O net for 5 days live is a good wage. Lots of nannies work for that amount of money. Don't see a problem.

drinkyourmilk Mon 25-Feb-13 13:05:38

Hellsbells. I would have been delighted to earn £375 net a week in 2002. I'm a nanny.

hellsbells76 Mon 25-Feb-13 12:55:01

£1500 pcm for a minimum 12 hour working day? Offer that to a British nanny and watch her laugh in your face. It's probably decent if you're an impoverished woman from a poor country separated from her family for months on end, but that makes it exploitation. OP is specifically looking for 'a Filipino' (and even the language used is dehumanising). Not because she has a burning desire to expose her DC to another culture, but because people from the Philippines are cheap to employ. They're cheap because of massive global inequality. Exploiting that to save yourself a few quid...well, it's not something I could do with a clear conscience.

samlamb Mon 25-Feb-13 12:30:12

reasonable- ish wage???? very reasonable you mean surely.

hellsbells76 Mon 25-Feb-13 08:23:56

Why would I assume a poor woman from a developing country is being exploited by a rich one in the west? Gosh, no idea - it's not like it's ever happened before is it? hmm. Glad you paid yours a reasonable-ish wage. You're in the minority.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 25-Feb-13 06:59:36

I think you'll find it was, Hellsbells. hmm Why do you automatically assume that because Lisalisa has employed a Filippina nanny that she would pay her peanuts? We used to have a live in Filippina nanny and her basic salary was £1500 a month net (live in), working from 0830 to 1800, with paid overtime after this, and babysitting on top. That was in 2002.

Callthemidlife Mon 25-Feb-13 06:55:08

By the way, you will not be able to bring in anyone from outside the EU/commonwealth to work for you - visas are no longer available for this.

Callthemidlife Mon 25-Feb-13 06:52:13

The kalayan org has an employment agency and can put you in touch with potential nannies. Expect to pay around £300-£350 plus weekly for a live-in. And agree that it doesn't bode we'll to talk about how respectful you are, when you aren't even using the correct gender in your description.

ripsishere Mon 25-Feb-13 04:50:29

I think you'll find the female is a Fillipina. Not being pedantic, just give some dignity to the unfortunate that potentially finds herself being employed by you.

hellsbells76 Sun 24-Feb-13 23:36:55

£350 for a 12 hour day?? Please say that was per week bet it fucking wasn't though

Jimberoonie Sun 24-Feb-13 23:14:49

Thanks for all of your candid and rapid responses. Clearly being specific on nationality has upset some of you which was not the intention - just to get some honest (and supportive) advice.

I assure you our treatment of staff is exceptional - over the years we have treated our au-aupairs, nannies etc.. like an extension to our family and with mutual respect.

We would want to pay a fair wage and would hope that the successful individual is hard working as well as being capable of having a trusting relationship with us and our kids.

Please do keep the comments coming..if there is a social stigma as well as other concerns we'd rather go into this with our eyes open.

lisalisa Sun 24-Feb-13 22:59:09

Hi there OP. I have employed filipinos before and have found them to be very hard working and friendly and nice to be around. I employed as live in nannies and live out nannies - pay - exepct to pay top £ as most filipinos are here for the primary purpose of sending money home to support their families. I paid £350 live in after tax but that was in london - maybe you are not in london. That was from 7-7 but with 1 hour lunch break and quite a bit of time off during day while baby slept etc.

As with all nannies from a different culture/background expect to spend some time explaining how you want things done childwise.

"a live in Filipino".

How about A Dog? Or buy A Washing machine? As opposed to getting "A Filipino"?

Do you intend to treat this person like a commodity, or a person?

How about getting a live in nanny of whatever nationality?

tethersend Sun 24-Feb-13 22:50:25

I'm guessing you want to brush up on your Tagalog?

Or did you have another reason for wanting to employ a Filipino person?

AuntLucyInPeru Sun 24-Feb-13 22:46:29

I agree that your attitude to staff needs re-thinking, primarily because it makes you seem like a hard and unpleasant person, but also because both your staff and children will pick up on it. In my experience the story ends like this - Filipino maid/nanny brought in on crap wages resents her employer and shows little or no affection/interest in the kids.

Kids recognise the the maid dislikes them, and that the parents have no respect for the maid, and so speak to the maid like shit whenever mum's not around.

Maid is miserable and resentful, kids learn a crappy disrespectful attitude to the household staff, mum is at work and oblivious.

Why not pay an extra £2/ hour and employ someone you like and respect to look after your home and children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now