This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Filipino / Philipino Live In Advice

(31 Posts)
Jimberoonie Sun 24-Feb-13 22:02:05

Hi there

We are a young-ish (early 40's) working couple with 2 daughters (8 and 13) and are looking to make the transition from Au-pair + cleaner to a live-in Filipino.

Any do's and don'ts from you wise people? Such as pay, duties, visa aggro?

Would really appreciate some guidance.

All the best

Jimberoonie confused

TiffIsKool Wed 27-Feb-13 23:12:38

OP - I was an expat in HK for a while where the company paid for accomodation plus a Filipino nanny.

The nanny was degree qualified but employment opportunities being what it was back home, being a nanny in HK paid better than an office job in the Philippines. Then there was the attraction of getting residency after two years.

Sorry ladies but back home in the UK, unless you go for a graduate of one of those posh (read expensive) nanny schools, you be lucky to get a nanny with A levels. And then there are limits to what an English worker will do. Our nanny would only clean the children's room and wash only their clothes.

I would choose a Filipino nanny over an English one any day (puts crash helmet on).

annh Wed 27-Feb-13 23:43:59

Tiff I have had many nannies over the years and they have all had at least A levels or equivalents, you are obviously looking in the wrong places! Even my babysitters have A levels or are studying for them and I don't think that is at all unusual. You also seem to be confusing different roles - of course, the nanny will usually only cook, clean and iron for the children, the hint is in the word "nanny". Otherwise you need a housekeeper. I suspect expat families in HK are not overly bothered with pesky distinctions like that and the Filipinas who need to send money back home are in no position to complain about it.

TiffIsKool Wed 27-Feb-13 23:59:35

annh - Although it wasn't your intention, thank you for making my point. English nannies have clearly defined roles so often the employer has to hire a nanny and a cleaner. Its so British grin

And please spare me the outrage. A significant number of us are accessing MN via our made in a Chinese sweat shop iPads while warming our feet in our made.in a Vietnamese sweat shop Jim Jams. People don't seem mind when cheap labour benefits them but OMG the OP wants to employ a (cheap) foreigner.

TiffIsKool Thu 28-Feb-13 00:08:54

.. also annl you are assuming that other nationalities share the same work culture. Filipinos working for a Filipino family in the Philipines have the same duties so it's not a case of those damned gwailoh expats exploiting foreign workers.

fraktion Thu 28-Feb-13 09:39:06

There are lots of British nannies with A-levels or even degrees shock In fact your average Chiltern graduate won't have A-levels and a Norlander from 10years ago wouldn't either.

I particularly dislike the way it's assumed in general that the only way to get a live in nanny housekeeper is to employ a Filipina and the way that they're praised for being meek and willing.

If you want a live in nanny/HK say so. Specifics the duties and budget. By all means contact specific agencies - Imperial and Greycoat may also be able to help. But don't boil it down to one nationality.

TiffIsKool Thu 28-Feb-13 12:13:42

Sure that there are nannies with degrees but they wanted £30,000 pa and for that they would not perform duties that were not directly related to the child. Apart from the fact that they were beyond our budget we didn't want to employ two people to do one job. We ended up employing a Polish girl for £22k for a job that was, during term time, 5 hours child facing and 2 hours cleaning. Hardly exploitation or cheap.

Anyway, the OP asked about Filipino nanny/housekeeper so I replied in kind. I wasn't making a statement about their superiority over other nationalities when it comes to nanny-ing. Merely that they were more flexible which does not mean by default that they are being exploited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now