This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you tell a parent you were considering leaving

(15 Posts)
Mogandme Sun 24-Feb-13 15:54:14

I am a nanny - been here 3.6 years and the other day realised I wasn't enjoying my job or looking forward to coming back after a few days away.

My employer is an ok employer, but we do have issues at times and I love my charge and if things were different I WOULD stay on but they're not and there's nothing my boss can do to change things.

So I think I am about to step into the deep end and find a new job - BUT do I tell my boss first to give her a heads up or just tell her when I find something?

iluvkids Sun 24-Feb-13 16:26:59

If the shoe was on the other foot..would they tell/warn you...

I'd look out for you...

Mogandme Sun 24-Feb-13 16:28:22

Hmmm true hmm

DIYapprentice Sun 24-Feb-13 18:34:49

For those reasons, no I wouldn't tell them. As you say, there's nothing they can do to make you stay. If you do want to be helpful, you could prepare a handover folder for the new nanny.

Isabeller Sun 24-Feb-13 18:41:11

Sadly also have to say don't tell until you have a firm offer elsewhere

boo88 Sun 24-Feb-13 18:45:56

i am a nanny with a similar situation. that i have been with the family for 6 months with no contract. i have decided to return to my previous family who have offered my five days work but now i am only doing three. i am unsure about the amount of notice i should give them as i don't have a contract.

Antidote Sun 24-Feb-13 18:52:24

As someone who has had a nanny, who has "thought about leaving" twice (once to the point where we had recruited a new nanny), then left for real I would suggest you tell them what you are thinking but give them a date by which you will let them know for certain.

I would respect that position.

expatinscotland Sun 24-Feb-13 18:54:55

NO. Get another job and then tell them. Same as you would in any other job. You don't owe them anything more than they owe you. It's a job.

Karoleann Sun 24-Feb-13 20:15:01

No, I wouldn't say anything, it's always a bit more awkward when someone is leaving anyway. And they're likely to start recruiting straight away, they may even find someone else before you have another job to go to.

Iggly Mon 25-Feb-13 06:49:42

Yes I would. Just because they wouldn't doesn't mean you need to be the same.

Why cant things change?

flubba Mon 25-Feb-13 07:15:00

Unless you can come up with other reasons why you're looking to leave, (other than "I don't like working for you") then I wouldn't say anything for the time being as it would make the remaining working time very awkward.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 25-Feb-13 08:59:21

"we do have issues at times"

Is your employer aware of those issues, is it possible for them to be resolved, and is your employer aware that those issues are causing you to seriously think about leaving?

I am a mum and nanny employer. I would like to think that I have a good relationship with our nanny, and that she would tell me of any issues and we would work together to solve them. I would be devastated if she gave in her notice without discusssing them with me first, and us both trying our best to reach a resolution. 3.6 years is a long time, and the children will have bonded with you. If there's a chance of sorting out the issues, I think you should do what you can (together) (and if you haven't already) to try.

Iggly Mon 25-Feb-13 09:14:11

I agree with Happy (I too have a nanny)

Marypoppins99 Mon 25-Feb-13 09:26:00

As a nanny who in a previous job when my boss was pregnant when I started my new job and wasn't told she was then was reassured my job was safe. Then told on her first day of maternity leave that I was being given my notice due to them not needing me. It has taught me to look out for myself as you never know what going to happen. If you aren't happy and the issues you think can't be resolved then it may be time that you do start looking.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 25-Feb-13 23:34:06

What are the issues and can they be sorted?

If not then no I wouldn't tell your boss you are thinking of leaving as others have said they may find a nanny before you find a job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now