Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Depressed about Childcare Reforms Crap!

(33 Posts)
SouthernPolish Sat 23-Feb-13 21:48:05

I am a newly re-registered CM, just starting up again after a house move (previously registered for 3 years).

I'm really getting very upset and depressed about the current uncertainty about the proposed Childcare reforms (see live Webchat thread with Elizabeth Truss).

I have spent the last couple of weeks writing, emailing, tweeting, participating in forums etc, in order to do something constructive. But the whole thing is getting me down and making me wonder if I should just start looking for another job.

The second reading is on Monday at 3.30pm (great timing huh?!), so hopefully some other MPs will raise objections and Truss will be forced to 'do a Gove'. But - what if that doesn't happen?

It's actually keeping me awake at night with worry :-(

Any other CMs feeling like this?

minderjinx Fri 01-Mar-13 11:37:06

Thank you both.

afussyphase Fri 01-Mar-13 09:59:43
DontSweatTheSmallStuff Fri 01-Mar-13 09:50:36
minderjinx Thu 28-Feb-13 11:52:23

Did anyone manage to watch the second reading of the bill on Monday? I haven't heard anything about how it went.

SouthernPolish Thu 28-Feb-13 11:19:38

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liz-truss-stop-plans-for-childminder-agencies

Keep spreading the word and cross-post please!

afussyphase Thu 28-Feb-13 11:14:05

Agencies!? Nooooooooo! That would be terrible, I think: higher costs, and a group of people who don't actually do any childcare making profits from both CM and parents for doing what local councils, childminders and parents do perfectly well already. Argh. Sometimes I just want to give up (not parenting, finding childcare!). And that's what people will do: childminders will, some parents won't be able to find what they need any more, and many will be pushed into nurseries, not that there's anything wrong with a good nursery but they aren't for everyone and they aren't all good! <off to sign petition>

Tanith Thu 28-Feb-13 11:12:41

Thanks - will share!

You know, there's so little information out there, we don't know for sure how they're going to be funded.

Most agencies charge the parents a pretty hefty percentage. Sitters charges membership, even childcare.co.uk charges them.

I wonder if, in addition to creaming off our "profits", when they realise how little they are, they'll charge parents, too. More than one agency...?

Looking for childcare could be about to get very expensive...

SouthernPolish Thu 28-Feb-13 10:52:16

Hey folks: we have a new petition against agencies (to compliment the ratios ones), here is the link:
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liz-truss-stop-plans-for-childminder-agencies
Please spread the news and tweet / share!
I'm fighting this one and NOT rolling over...
:-D

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 19:43:36
ChildrenAtHeart Sun 24-Feb-13 19:26:23

Childminders, parents and anyone working with children (anyone at all really!) this is the link to the comments page for this bill (apologies Mumsnet if this isn't allowed - assume you will edit it out in that case) http://www.parliament.uk/business/bills-and-legislation/public-reading/children-and-families-bill/childcare/
You can post your opinions about childminder agencies here.
If you follow the One Voice campaign link www.togetherforquality.com there is loads of info about our concerns as well as links to two petitions asking for Government to rethink their proposals for allowing practitioners to care for more children.
We can't afford to let others deal with this - we all need to make a lot of noise. around 50000 people have signed the petitions so far but Government still aren't listening. Nearly every major childcare organisation and expert in the country have said it's a bad idea and Govt STILL aren't listening

Tanith Sun 24-Feb-13 19:24:10

It's likely they won't improve. The agencies idea is currently being dismantled in Holland, where Liz Truss originally got the idea, because it led to lower standards and higher costs for parents.
She does know this: she's been told many times. She chooses to ignore it.

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 16:07:00

Thanks minder...I thought the whole point of being a CM was running your home setting in your own way, within OFsted rules. hmm

I want to be free to choose my own CM without a 3rd party being involved. And I don't want there to be any more children. Sometimes my CM has 7 and although she is amazing, it seems like a lot.

I don't see how standards will improve. hmm

minderjinx Sun 24-Feb-13 16:01:16

Grockle - basically Ms Truss reckons that by having childminders look after more children (and staff in nurseries more children per staff member) childcare costs will fall but quality will improve (nobody seems clear how this works). She also reckons that childminders should not be individually inspected and graded, but that they should join agencies so that OFSTED can just inspect the agencies. These agencies would supposedly take a lot of hassle from parents by matching children to childcare vacancies, dealing with the financial and contractual stuff and leaving childminders more free time to look after more babies. Most childminders I know can't see any benefit in having an agency interfere with how they work, and value the freedom to vary what they offer to families. They view the idea of having a middle-man with some mistrust as well as the idea that their hard earned reputations could be undone by the possible shortcomings of an agency over which they have no control.

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 15:30:47

Grockle :-D
Ta - feel a bit better

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 15:26:29

I agree Southern - this impacts parents & children as much as it does childminers - parents should be aware (which i why I posted on here in the first place!) & should speak up.

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 15:15:55

Parliament channel 81 on BT Vision / Freeview etc. 3.30 pm 25 Feb.

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 15:13:05

Jus re-read - to clarify - not a criticism of parents in any way (I am one myself!!!!). It's very easy NOT to know what's going on. What with all the other horrendous austerity measures etc, this is relatively low-profile. But it's still a TIMEBOMB!

CMs are making lots of noise because its our livelihoods at stake here.

Parents - please join with CMs and Nurseries and help make some noise!

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 15:10:51

I will keep an eye on the news tomorrow. At 3.30, I will be at work and DS will be with his CM hmm

I'd be very happy to speak out about changes that will have a negative impact on families and childminders. DS goes to an afterschool club one day a week (when his CM doesn't work) and he hates it sad

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 15:06:51

The 2nd reading of the reforms is tomorrow (Mon) at 3.30 pm and I'm clinging to the hope that sufficient MPs will blast Liz Truss's poorly thought through ideas into submission. Labour shadow MPs are behind us, but ConDems are mainly ignoring us or sitting on the fence (including my own local MP).

We could really do with more parents supporting CMs - as it's no surprise we are being vocal. The Gov MIGHT listen if parents, en masse, rejected the reforms too.

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 14:51:25

Thank you - I'll have a read. It doesn't sound good.

I worry so much about everything this government is doing. Especially all the 'no, no, we won't do that'... and then, 'Oh yes, we are doing that. When we said we wouldn't, that's not quite what we meant.' angry

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 14:42:30

Grockle - the problem is it's so unclear! All speculation...

But basically CMs are being 'encouraged' to join agencies and up their ratios.

See the live webchat with Elizabeth Truss on here and have a look at: www.togetherforquality.com

Grockle Sun 24-Feb-13 14:36:29

I have not kept up to date with this because, well, I just haven't. But we have a CM and she is fabulous. I often fear her giving up & desperately hope she won't. Can anyone link to a simple description of the main changes?

It's so hard to find childcare that is suitable & works well. I'd be very sad if CMs were no longer able to operate.

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 14:30:37

It IS absolutely immoral!

Liz Truss is one thing, but also:

I hate dealing with Ofsted. Clearly they (from the top down) have a pretty dim view of CMs (remember Susan Gregory's Annual Report video?!). Inspection is so 'hit and miss' luck, depending on which inspector you get. It is just TOO HARD - only the really tenacious CMs stick at it and I'm not sure I have the strength any more.
I agree with risk assessments, health & safety and SOME of the learning & dev stuff, but what Ofsted expect us to do is STILL too much.

And yet: I love looking after babies and toddlers and I have a file of letters from happy parents, telling me how much their child loves/ed coming to my home.

There has to be a better way, but sadly I cannot see it right now.

OddBoots Sun 24-Feb-13 14:06:55

Practitioners don't like it, parents don't like it, babies and children will suffer yet she is still pushing for it.

The only people it will benefit are the owners of the big chains and (in the very short term) the state in terms of keeping 2-year funding low. The whole thing seems immoral.

SouthernPolish Sun 24-Feb-13 14:05:56

minderjinx - yes - agree with all you said.
Very worrying that there are still many Parents & CMs clueless about what MAY happen.
Beginning to wish I hadn't bothered re-registering.
I started just as EYFS came in and found it mind boggling and my first grading inspection was beyond awful - got the dreaded Satisfactory, despite working bloody hard!
Could not sleep last night again, due to fretting and worrying.
Really not in a good way at the mo.
:-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now