This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Depressed about Childcare Reforms Crap!

(33 Posts)
SouthernPolish Sat 23-Feb-13 21:48:05

I am a newly re-registered CM, just starting up again after a house move (previously registered for 3 years).

I'm really getting very upset and depressed about the current uncertainty about the proposed Childcare reforms (see live Webchat thread with Elizabeth Truss).

I have spent the last couple of weeks writing, emailing, tweeting, participating in forums etc, in order to do something constructive. But the whole thing is getting me down and making me wonder if I should just start looking for another job.

The second reading is on Monday at 3.30pm (great timing huh?!), so hopefully some other MPs will raise objections and Truss will be forced to 'do a Gove'. But - what if that doesn't happen?

It's actually keeping me awake at night with worry :-(

Any other CMs feeling like this?

SouthernPolish Thu 28-Feb-13 10:52:16

Hey folks: we have a new petition against agencies (to compliment the ratios ones), here is the link:
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liz-truss-stop-plans-for-childminder-agencies
Please spread the news and tweet / share!
I'm fighting this one and NOT rolling over...
:-D

Tanith Thu 28-Feb-13 11:12:41

Thanks - will share!

You know, there's so little information out there, we don't know for sure how they're going to be funded.

Most agencies charge the parents a pretty hefty percentage. Sitters charges membership, even childcare.co.uk charges them.

I wonder if, in addition to creaming off our "profits", when they realise how little they are, they'll charge parents, too. More than one agency...?

Looking for childcare could be about to get very expensive...

afussyphase Thu 28-Feb-13 11:14:05

Agencies!? Nooooooooo! That would be terrible, I think: higher costs, and a group of people who don't actually do any childcare making profits from both CM and parents for doing what local councils, childminders and parents do perfectly well already. Argh. Sometimes I just want to give up (not parenting, finding childcare!). And that's what people will do: childminders will, some parents won't be able to find what they need any more, and many will be pushed into nurseries, not that there's anything wrong with a good nursery but they aren't for everyone and they aren't all good! <off to sign petition>

SouthernPolish Thu 28-Feb-13 11:19:38

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liz-truss-stop-plans-for-childminder-agencies

Keep spreading the word and cross-post please!

minderjinx Thu 28-Feb-13 11:52:23

Did anyone manage to watch the second reading of the bill on Monday? I haven't heard anything about how it went.

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Fri 01-Mar-13 09:50:36
afussyphase Fri 01-Mar-13 09:59:43
minderjinx Fri 01-Mar-13 11:37:06

Thank you both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now