This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder becoming a nanny

(4 Posts)
Megsdaughter Fri 22-Feb-13 08:32:51

After being a CM for over ten years in a stretch ( have been in various types of Childcare for over 35 years including stints as CM and nanny) I went back to nannying again two years ago.

Best thing I did. I am Ofsted registered. Minimal paperwork. Employed with all that goes with it.

Basically I plan my own day. I have a two year old and four year old at the moment. And this will probably be my last job as the jobs jours will go down as the younger one goes to school. But because of my age and health will stay with them as hours reduce.

dontwanttobefatandforty Thu 21-Feb-13 13:06:28

Thank you, I am very tempted to do this as the benefits seem to outweigh the cons at the moment.

nbee84 Thu 21-Feb-13 08:45:03

Me smile

I was a nanny before I had my 2nd child. 4 years pre children and 3 years where I took my dd1 with me. I then registered and worked as a childminder for over 10 years. I decided to go back to nannying when my youngest was 13 didn't need me around after school and in the holidays - he was either out playing golf or at friends houses. I left cming a couple of years after Ofsted took over from Social Services and found the paperwork was becoming more and more (and it was only half as bad then as it is now!)

I'm in my 3rd job since then and there are lots of positives. No paperwork (I am Ofsted registered but paperwork is minimal), no tax returns, paid holidays, sick pay. My house is no longer a nursery.

One downside is a longer day. Most nanny jobs have longer days as you are covering your bosses commute and then have a commute of your own- I'm out of the house for 11½ - 12 hours. But this is balanced by not having toys and children's dinner things to clear up and no paperwork waiting to be done. Another downside is that you often need to find new jobs after 18 months or so - childcare needs may have changed or children start school. Not many familes with a nanny will keep her on once the children are at school all day. If you start a job with a baby you hope to be there for a good few years. I've been in my current job for 2 years and the youngest starts school in Sep '14 so I hope to be there until then. But my previous job was with a young child and Mum was made redundant when I'd been there only 9 months.

I've not struggled with being an employee. I've looked for jobs where the family have the same kind of childcare ethos that I have and where they don't want a nanny they have to manage and are happy to leave me to structure my days as I wish. The parents wishes will always (and have to) come forst but I haven't found it an issue at all so far.

dontwanttobefatandforty Thu 21-Feb-13 08:10:53

Has anyone done this?

I am considering stopping minding and becoming a Nanny. I'm not sure if I would struggle with being told what to do or as a Nanny do you still get to plan the day your own way?

Is there anyone who wouldn't hire a Nanny who used to be a Childminder, if so why?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now