This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Part-time Maternity nurse in London

(5 Posts)
fraktion Mon 18-Feb-13 10:17:56

I think a PN doula would suit you well. They'll support you with taking care of your baby, getting to grips with BFing if that's what you want, help you find a rhythm that works for you but also do some stuff around the house and support you emotionally. They tend to work more flexibly - during school hours for example - so it's much more likely that you'll find one.

Pyra Sun 17-Feb-13 16:18:59

I was thinking of getting a nanny with newborn experience after the initial 3-4 weeks. I'd need a FT nanny eventually anyway. I thought perhaps a maternity nurse would help me come up to speed initially with taking care a newborn (no previous experience!) and then I could have a nanny take over. But I do see your point on the difficult of getting someone PT.

Karoleann Sun 17-Feb-13 14:58:21

i agree, do you not just need a nanny with new born experience?

It would be a lot cheaper too. most maternity nurses are booked way in advance, I think you would struggle to find a good one anyway, especially for short hours.

fraktion Sun 17-Feb-13 14:54:59

Do you really want a maternity nurse or would a postnatal doula/'mothers help be better?

A fairly key part of a mat nurse's role is establishing a routine and that's difficult on a PT basis.

Pyra Sun 17-Feb-13 14:48:33

I was wondering if someone can recommend a maternity nurse who would be willing to work 5-6 hours a day (not overnight) for 3-4 weeks starting end-April, when my baby is due. I can understand that most would prefer a full-time contract, but my needs are different. Potentially there might be the option of a 'share' with a friend, who is due 2 weeks after me, and would also need a maternity nurse a few hours a day.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now