This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Anyone rent a house and childmind?

(14 Posts)
vicki2010 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:34:15

I have never had any problems renting from agents and childminding! We specifically looked for a property that would for our childminding requirements and the landlord was quite pleased as he knew that as a Childminder working with the public I obviously had to maintain a certain level of tidiness and cleanliness. Actually if I didn't childmind my house would prob be a mess!! You'll be fine,just keep looking.

mindingalongtime Tue 19-Feb-13 18:28:55

Contrary to what I said earlier, DH says he wouldn't have a problem as the landlord, with childminding in his propertiessmile but as teenagersmother says, the mortgage does state that we can't run a business from the property.

mrsthomsontobe Tue 19-Feb-13 11:29:44

I've been chiildminding nearly 7 years , I've been in 5 rented houses in tht time including the house I'm currently in. My house does not look a mess or any less worse than any friends with children. I have 2 girls of my own and at the weekend whn my toddlers toys are not out. You wouldn't no I had children, nver mind childminded by looking at my livingroom . if you teach the children to respect yours and other ppl things then there's no reason that your house will end up with excessive wear and tear .

teenagersmother Tue 19-Feb-13 07:34:30

it may not be the landlords decision. the solictor pointed out to me that my buy to let mortgage specified that a business could not be run from the premises.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 17-Feb-13 16:31:46

My friend recently moved into a rented house and she childminds, it was a nightmare she was refused viewings for being a childminder and waited weeks for responses then eventually rented from a friend.

calmlychaotic Sun 17-Feb-13 16:27:05

I rent and childmind its been fine, understanding with the landlord is that any damage or excessive wear and tear is covered by me or my own insurance. its only like renting a house if you had a lot of children yourself

bigkidsdidit Sun 17-Feb-13 13:57:27

before we left London DS went to a CM in a rented house. They didn't rent from an agency but direct from an understanding LL - another risk would be that the LL would sell the house and you'd have to move with a month's notice. But their LL knew the situation adn they had the conservatory and kitchen set aside for the children.

gonetobed Sun 17-Feb-13 13:44:43

Thanks all - its SO frustrating as I LOVE my job and got OS on last inspection and its the only way I can support myself and dc's.

I just didnt expect this at all sad

Fightlikeagirl Sun 17-Feb-13 12:03:36

I can't add anything practical I'm afraid but feel for you, how annoying!
I'm sure if you keep looking you will find something eventually especially if you're prepared to put a bigger deposit down, good luck.
Keep us posted!

mindingalongtime Sun 17-Feb-13 11:45:22

I have some properties that I rent out and as a childminder myself, I''m sorry to say, I wouldn't be too keen, knowing exactly how much wear and tear my own house takes and I have dedicated part of the house that is set up all the time.

There would have to be a hefty deposit against damage, and as long as you were prepared to pay for all remedial work to walls etc - they do get chipped and bashed no matter how careful, carpets etc get marked; at the annual review, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I suppose i will vary from landlord to landlord and agents too, good luck, I sympathise with your problem and hope you get sorted out soon.

gonetobed Sun 17-Feb-13 11:24:26

The agent said it was due to extra wear and tear on the house

I know a childminder who rents a house. Why would it be an issue?

12ylnon Sun 17-Feb-13 11:19:18

Yes, but i rent from my uncle. He very kindly changed the type of landlord insurance he was getting (I paid the extra £100 a year to cover the cost).

I had to put off childminding while we were in our old rented house as old landlord's insurance didn't cover it.

gonetobed Sun 17-Feb-13 11:15:48

Me and DH are splitting and selling the house. I cant afford to buy on my own so need to rent somewhere.

The 1st house I tried to view I was rejected from even looking as I childmind! I have phoned round some of the agents and they seem to think it could be an issue.

So just wondered if other CM's rent.

Great what can I do if I cant work!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now